TTORA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
I know, I know. I've been busy. We're getting the front axle bolted up in the morning and I'll update with some pictures.
putting the axles from the black truck under the runner??

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
putting the axles from the black truck under the runner??
Yup. My old front axle was armored, trussed, marlin histeer, good third, etc. Threw the 30-splines in it and swapping it under the 4runner. Already put my old spooled third into the 4runner housing with disc brakes.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Yup. My old front axle was armored, trussed, marlin histeer, good third, etc. Threw the 30-splines in it and swapping it under the 4runner. Already put my old spooled third into the 4runner housing with disc brakes.
AWESOME, what does it have for rear suspension?? 5 inch TG??

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
AWESOME, what does it have for rear suspension?? 5 inch TG??
Right now it has sagging stock rear springs with a 2" block. Once I get some more stuff sold, i'm going to order some 3" TG rear springs. I'm thinking those will get the truck pretty level with my RUF setup I swapped over.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
you might want to get 4 inch springs cause you know the 4runners have a heavy :wiggle:

·
Registered
1,501 Posts

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Do tell! I want to hear the plan!
Gonna bob the rear up to the shackle hangers and swap in a pickup tailgate. Between that and taking the top off, I ought to lose quite a bit of weight. I'll eventually try to bob the top too, but it won't get put on more than a couple times a year.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
hmmmm, make it look like a mini avalanche when the top is on??

·
Registered
4,982 Posts

·
Registered
4,982 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
I like the bob & tailgate idea. That's gonna' look very unique. I also believe that if you get that done AND get the top bob'ed to match, then you got something to write home about. I've never seen a 4runner top that was bob'ed. After looking at the picture you posted, I'm wondering where to cut? How about a slanted section taken out right between the front & rear window? Or, would you section across a window & have a glass guy cut a new from the old pattern. That could be a eye turner . . . although it might end up looking like a tracker or something ? ?

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I like the bob & tailgate idea. That's gonna' look very unique. I also believe that if you get that done AND get the top bob'ed to match, then you got something to write home about. I've never seen a 4runner top that was bob'ed. After looking at the picture you posted, I'm wondering where to cut? How about a slanted section taken out right between the front & rear window? Or, would you section across a window & have a glass guy cut a new from the old pattern. That could be a eye turner . . . although it might end up looking like a tracker or something ? ?
There's two theories on that. Some guys cut through the front sliding window area, remove the square shaped glass piece, and lose the ability for the window to slide. If I do it, I'd cut through the rear glass area and either form a piece of lexan to fit or just bend a sheet of steel and get rid of the glass all together.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Oddmar came up with this pic of a second gen runner

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
For sake of passenger's view, I agree with cutting out the back windows and grafting in a piece of plastic. I saw where a guy used a heat gun and his old windows for templates (bending platforms) to match the contour.

Makes me wish I didn't have so much in the way of bobbin'. Dang that huge Ford gas tank :rolleyes:

21 - 40 of 190 Posts