·
Registered
1,501 Posts

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Is it just me or does that look like :xbarf:
Its not just you. ;)

I'm not gonna waste my time reading but I'm curious...Did he actually pony up for a bender? Harbor freight dosent count btw.

I really doubt ya ever get the top bobbed after wheeling this thing, Aaron. Its sacrificial and unneeded weight. Just cut it into a hard bikini top and for some shade, and protection from the weather, and call it done.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I really doubt ya ever get the top bobbed after wheeling this thing, Aaron. Its sacrificial and unneeded weight. Just cut it into a hard bikini top and for some shade, and protection from the weather, and call it done.
You might be right. It's definitely low on my list of priorities.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Not a lot of progress so far. Brakes and steering are hooked up. Went with an fj80 master to try and fix the sloppy brake pedal I had. Still need to pull the oil pan and check the rod bearings and order some rear springs. Then it's headed to Bismarck for some welding..

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Ordered some stuff today. MC07, clutch, dual case crossmember, and new spring hangers for the chevies. Decided not to go with aftermarket springs since they would have only saved me 1.9" on the back. Wasn't worth $400 to me when the chevy springs work just fine. I'm hoping to get the black truck chopped up some more this weekend so I can haul it off.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Ordered some stuff today. MC07, clutch, dual case crossmember, and new spring hangers for the chevies. Decided not to go with aftermarket springs since they would have only saved me 1.9" on the back. Wasn't worth $400 to me when the chevy springs work just fine. I'm hoping to get the black truck chopped up some more this weekend so I can haul it off.
Be shure and take pics of the progress, and let me know when your ready for a family cag for that thing. ;)

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Be shure and take pics of the progress, and let me know when your ready for a family cag for that thing. ;)
I'm planning to take pictures as I go. I'd like to document this build-up better than I did the old truck. It's just hard to stop and get the camera out when you're focused on getting some stuff done. And I'll be sure to hit you up when I'm ready to build the cage. I'm seriously considering starting off with the 4xinnovations kit and adding to it. He's got a lot of the hard work already done. http://4xinnovations.com/p-4RIC.html Gotta get the sliders and bumpers done first though..

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I like the cage but I highly rcommend asking a few quetions. 1st what size wall thickness and hrew or chromolly tube. Thats the most common and the 1st questions most everyone asks. I also recommend tieing through the floor to the frame. Even sandwiching the floorboards with plates is a good idea, and better than nothing, but going through the tub with some 1 1/2 sleved inside the 1 1/4 or something like that is the safest. Even tying through to bushings mounted to the frame with tabs is a damn good idea. I think the front legs (A pillars) on that cage tie over the factory body mounts. If so itl be way hard to tie into the frame atleast at that point.

I am having serious issues continuing to allow passengers in my rig after tweaking the cage with the rollovers. I suppose I just need to break it down and redo it, but its is a money thing afterall. :rolleyes: I can rest easy with the understanding that the cage is compromised, if its just me, but when my family or a friend are in there with me, I cringe inside a little when things get a bit harry. On the plus side it has helped me to curb my ballsout wheeling style a bit. Thats good thing I think. Before I would have prolly tried way harder on adventure trail, or trails like that before taking cable.

To summerize, how often do ya plan on having your son or wife with you on the hard stuff? I'm shure you would prolly make the descesion to have em get out before I would. Heck my son actually pushes me to do harder stuff, then grumbles with disapointment when I make him get out :eek:

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
It's 1.75"x.120 DOM. I would at least sandwich the floor with plates on both sides and possibly tie the bottom plates into the frame with bushings. I don't think tying into the frame is all that necessary inside the cab portion, but I'd like it in the rear, so why not do it all.

As far as wheeling the hard stuff, I don't see Ashley ever staying in the truck for a 5 rated trail and Weston won't be either for many years to come. My wheeling style is a little different than yours or Daniel's. I'm perfectly happy staying off the 5's when the family is along and I try to stay off the stupid stuff even when it's just me. I'd never take the wife and kid onto a trail where I was seriously concerned I could roll. The cage is for those times that the trail should be doable but a mental error causes a roll/flop.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
The old rig is looking worse every day! :saw: Got a couple more things to cut off and it's going to the scrapyard.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
What's the story on the XtraCab, Aaron?

Glad to see there's another 4Runner on the board that'll hit some 4s and 5s... when I get back to wheelin' :eek:
Daniel and I picked it up as a parts truck. I'm robbing the w56 and all the clutch stuff out of it and Daniel had planned on doing a cab swap down the road. He's now decided if he's gonna go through all that work, he might as well get a 4runner himself. :cool: The frame is sold and once I get what I need off of it I'll try to sell the cab, but if it sits too long it'll end up joining my black truck and cory's 4runner. :(

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Trading the cage off for a tcase ebrake tomorrow. Was hoping for some cash, but having an e brake will be nice too.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Trading the cage off for a tcase ebrake tomorrow. Was hoping for some cash, but having an e brake will be nice too.
getting rid of the auto tranny??

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
as Jordan would say

woot!
Ha ha! There's an emoticon on hardlinecrawlers that says woot and cracks me up... Guess I carried it here... Thanks for thinking of me! Woot!

Aaron, don't trash the cab just yet. I can find a good home for it if need be. I hate to see good sheetmetal get the crunch : (

you're gonna love duals and efi!!!!!

41 - 60 of 190 Posts