TTORA Forum banner

121 - 140 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Hot dang!

Hurry up with your bed graft so you can try to cobble mine together... after I find a bed :eek:

BTW, credit goes to Dave Lay's old rig "Kracker" for the inspiration on the sliders, and I believe the previous owner did that. They weren't cut into the rockers, but tucked up tight. I got the idea of cutting in to the rockers from a thread on Pirate about replacing the rockers.

...And that's how the cookie crumbles...
We'll see how mine goes before you decide you want any of my help with body work. And I still like "Steinhaus-Style" anyways. It just sounds more professional than Dave Lay's Potato Chip Rocker Skids.. I do need to figure out how to make a little more clearance between the slider legs and the holes I cut out. The like to rub together and get pretty annoying on the trail.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
We'll see how mine goes before you decide you want any of my help with body work. And I still like "Steinhaus-Style" anyways. It just sounds more professional than Dave Lay's Potato Chip Rocker Skids.. I do need to figure out how to make a little more clearance between the slider legs and the holes I cut out. The like to rub together and get pretty annoying on the trail.
Steinhaus Style is fine by me! Just didn't want to take all the credit... but I guess I will :woot:

Yea, mine do the same thing. I think I'm going to add a small square tube gusset from bottom of the frame at an angle up to the legs. Maybe it'll stop moving that way.

If they're still squeaking, I'll take a sawzall to the area... if it bugs me that much. I've learned to accept all the funny noises :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Step 1: Remove tailgate and strip interior.

That's as far as I got last night after meeting up to trade beds. Should get the truck portion cut up tonight.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Got a little bit done yesterday. Trimmed up the front fenders some more, fixed my brake lights (turns out you have to plug them in.. :rolleyes:), and got the tailgate section cut off of my pickup bed. Now I just need to decide how much I'm gonna cut off the 4runner and how I want to mount my bumper.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Did you get any work done last night?

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Did you get any work done last night?
No body work. Still haven't gotten a bottle for my welder and I didn't want to show up at the park with my bed cut up and no body mounts to hold it down. I did get my exhaust hung better, fixed my CB speaker, and replaced the water thermo sensor though. She's loaded on the trailer, ready to go wheeling this afternoon!

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
has anyone inquired about the tailgate yet?? if not Colton needs one that's not bent like a

·
Registered
4,982 Posts

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
I've got one with a small dent and good glass if you're interested, Glen. It's gray. Might be able to get some pics for ya. PM if interested.

Hurry up with the graft, Aaron, so we can stop hearing about keeping your rearend straight and clean :eek:

Got plans for the rest of that bed?

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Hurry up with the graft, Aaron, so we can stop hearing about keeping your rearend straight and clean :eek:

Got plans for the rest of that bed?
I'm getting on it. Got the taillights, wiring, and interior stripped out last night. My baby gas bottle made it home over the weekend and I ought to be cutting on this girl tonight.

I may cut up the bed some for sheetmetal during this upocoming body work. It'll be going to the scrap yard after that.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
I'm getting on it. Got the taillights, wiring, and interior stripped out last night. My baby gas bottle made it home over the weekend and I ought to be cutting on this girl tonight.

I may cut up the bed some for sheetmetal during this upocoming body work. It'll be going to the scrap yard after that.
If you decide not to tear it up too bad, I'd like to add it to my collection of crap. Never know what use might come of it. Just keep me in mind if you're going to put it in the scrap pile. Please and thank you :cool:

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Can't turn back now! Bobbed 10". It turns out it's a lot harder to match two different beds together than it is to just do a bob. If I was just bobbing it I could make the rear cut, measure the second cut line off of the first, and cut again, which would make the two surfaces match up well. All I could do here was get the lines as plumb as possible and hope for the best. The sides came out pretty good but the bed area needs help. Luckily I have too much material there instead of not enough, so it's easily fixed.

Cut lines marked

17" Cut off

7" added back on

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Bed is 98% welded up. Sheet metal is tons easier to weld with gas. There's still a lot of work to be done to get the welds cleaned up. A couple of spots warped, but I'm gonna bash it in eventually, so no worries. I should have started with a straighter bed though. The tailgate wasn't even close to fitting the first time I tried to put it on. One side was about 2" too high. I've got it closer with some "persuasion" but there's still work to do there as well.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Waldo devoted a whole thread to Josh helping him with his bumper, but I'm a cheapskate so Daniel only gets this little post within my thread. Thanks again for the help! :xbeer1: Bedsides are finished (for now at least, I may do a little more work to them when I paint the whole truck), steering is back together, bumpstops are fixed, spring clamps are done, and the rear bumper is welded up. Just a little bit of cleaning up and paint and we'll be ready for this weekend. I should get some pictures this evening.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Waldo devoted a whole thread to Josh helping him with his bumper, but I'm a cheapskate so Daniel only gets this little post within my thread. Thanks again for the help! :xbeer1: Bedsides are finished (for now at least, I may do a little more work to them when I paint the whole truck), steering is back together, bumpstops are fixed, spring clamps are done, and the rear bumper is welded up. Just a little bit of cleaning up and paint and we'll be ready for this weekend. I should get some pictures this evening.
Hey! What about me? I helped drink some of your beer ;)

121 - 140 of 190 Posts