TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
passenger side?

With the settings untouched, the driver side sat lower than the passenger side by 1". I cranked the driver side 2 turns and it still sits 3/4" lower than the passenger side.

I know the driver side is more heavier but do you think my driver side spring is defective because there is such a significant difference? I don't want to keep cranking it because the driver front side will become more stiff than the rest of the other sides.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Its ok to crank it a little more. The weight on that side of the truck will make up for the preload in the spring on that side. The "taco lean" is common.. and if your rear end is sagged and used then that could be contributing to the lean.. If you get the driver rear leveled out more it will lessen the problem in the front by quite a bit.. but You will still get some lean..LOL.. I had deaver arch my driver 1" more and it helps out a lot.. but doesnt solve the issue completely

·
Registered
717 Posts
i have my drivers side cranked just a little bit more than my passager side. i have been meaning to email donahoe to see if they notice that is the case on most tacomas or not.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Mine are at the factory setting and I don't recall one side being more cranked than the other. Truck sits level currently but I've got a '99. Maybe theres a difference in weight with the '05+?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The driver rear side is only 1/4" lower. My main concern is the Driver front side because it is sitting 3/4" lower even after 2 turns.

The odd thing was when I was cranking the driver side, the passenger side kept going up a little too :confused:

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
garycoleman said:
The odd thing was when I was cranking the driver side, the passenger side kept going up a little too :confused:
Humm, is your sway bar connected? If so, try to disconnect it to see if the passenger side keeps coming up. Thats the only thing that I could think of that would cause the opposite side to move up.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interex said:
Humm, is your sway bar connected? If so, try to disconnect it to see if the passenger side keeps coming up. Thats the only thing that I could think of that would cause the opposite side to move up.

If it is a sway bar issue, do you think removing it will bring the passenger side height back down? I think the Donahoe's would be firm enough to run without a sway bar

·
Registered
19 Posts
i have the same issue with my donahoes. I went two turns higher on the driver side and it is still not level. I was nearly 3/4" lower on the driver side before I made the adjustment. I don' want to crank it up too much becuase there it hardly any downward wheel travel onthese trucks anyways.

Oh, and I would highly suggest you keep your swaybar connected. It can create issues at speed otherwise. With that said I don't think the swaybar is the issue. I think it is the wait difference from driver side to passenger side.

Maybe Donahoe has some suggestions?

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
garycoleman said:
If it is a sway bar issue, do you think removing it will bring the passenger side height back down? I think the Donahoe's would be firm enough to run without a sway bar
Forgot to mention: I have been without the sway bar for a year. Had a spacer lift for 3 years, and the Donahoes for five months. Body roll is significantly reduced.

·
Registered
803 Posts
nader said:
i have the same issue with my donahoes. I went two turns higher on the driver side and it is still not level. I was nearly 3/4" lower on the driver side before I made the adjustment. I don' want to crank it up too much becuase there it hardly any downward wheel travel onthese trucks anyways.

Oh, and I would highly suggest you keep your swaybar connected. It can create issues at speed otherwise. With that said I don't think the swaybar is the issue. I think it is the wait difference from driver side to passenger side.

Maybe Donahoe has some suggestions?
My 2.5 SAW's with 700 lbs springs are the same way. The '05+'s are way drivers side heavy. If I remember correctly I had to crank the drivers side up an extra .5-.75 of an inch to make the truck level. It doesn't help that I'm running a custom rear leaf pack that is the same on both sides either.

BTW, the sway bar has nothing to do with it. You can't pick up one corner of the vehicle without taking some weight off the other corner. :2cents:

·
Registered
583 Posts
My driver side is cranked about 3 more revolutions than the passenger side is. It works fine, rides great, and the truck is perfectly level, even with a full tank of gas and my big ass sittin in the drivers seat.

·
Registered
217 Posts
My d-hoes are at factory settings. I have not adjusted them yet one way or another, but both sides measure the exact same, I have an ARB bumper as well but I don't think that would make much difference right to left. I do know that passanger side settled a little faster then the drivers side when newer but both sides did end up settling to the same height without me touching anything.

·
225 Posts
Guys, This is a great reason to run an adjustable coil-over. There could be several reasons why one truck might need adjustment while another does not. Rear spring sage can effect the ride hight of the front. Now some guys will say.. "hey it never leaned before I put my coil-overs on". That is because we have NO idea what the spring set was in your original Factory coil-over. Springs settle and move and adjust themselfs to the whole truck. We pre-set the Donahoe coil-overs to a happy medium where we think is close to the best spot yet every truck is a little differnt. Play with them. Set them where you like. Just keep in mind that Front Droop makes your ride quality. If you crank them up too high you will start loosing performance in the trucks overall suspension. Hope that helps..... If you guys have any other question give us a call.....

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hey donahoe what are the measurements you put on ext hoes from the factory? distance from the bottom of the cap to the topof the adjustment ring. Thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
i had some shims made on a 1.25 inch block by 4crawlers.com to raise up my rear end after installing the deaver 10 pack. The ten pack just did not give enough lift. I also had the blocks taper at a 3 degree to make up for the different differential angle. I am going to be getting them in a day or so. let you know how it works

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I cranked the driver side with the anti sway bars disconnected. The passenger side is still going up as the driver side is cranked higher :confused:

This is pretty odd

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
13 Participants
garycoleman
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing