TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 06 DBL CAB TRD Offroad looking to swap out the stock Shocks/Springs for the 0-3.5" Donahoe C/O's. Anyone have any issues or things they don't like about this setup. I am going to be adding the Camburg UCA's to help run 285/75r16's on stock rims and AAL in the rear with stock shocks.

Thanks

·
Registered
291 Posts
06TacoCDN said:
Anyone have any issues or things they don't like about this setup...
I hate the price.... :jawdrop:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm looking at the same setup.........Can you run tires that big on stock rims?? I love the look of the stock rims but I figured they weren't backspaced right to run 285/75/R16's..........Do the Camburg arms correct this...?

·
Registered
173 Posts
nruller said:
I hate the price.... :jawdrop:
X2 on that...otherwise things are great. I'm just waiting to upgrade to those 285's (or the 17" FJ setup).

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have them on my wifes Sequoia and they ride a little stiff but some like that. The only real issue is the little allen bolt that sets the spanner nut often freezes within the spanner nut after being on the truck a while. Mine are currently boxed up pending instructions on sending them back to Donahoe for repair. I called Donahoe and they are willing to fix one of them for free but one of them was damaged with my heavy hands trying to free the set screw, that one they are going to charge me for the price of a new spanner nut. Customer service is good, fact that the set screw froze in the first place is bad. Plus I'll have to pay for shipping. If I didn't have the stock struts still sitting around the house the truck would be down while the coil overs were being shipped back.

A note on tire clearance, I don't think the coil over lifts do anything to help clear tires as much as a new wheel with less backspacing will do. I tried running 285/65R17s with the coil overs at the "set from factory" height of ~2.5" and they rubbed like crazy with factory wheels so I now run 275/65R17 on the factory wheels and am going to back the preload off a bit to soften the ride (that's when I discovered the frozen set screw). Basically I want the front to sit level with no lift in the rear.

Not sure if the Taco has more clearance than a Sequoia but I doubt it, if anything I would assume it would be the other way around. If the aftermarket UCA's are shaped differant that may give you some room but I would plan on new wheels if you want anything around a 32/11.50 tire. My double cab 4wd will be in after Christmas and I'm planning on doing the same thing, Donahoe Coil Overs with only 1 to 1.5" of lift dialed in and hopefully a 285/60R18 tire on the BBS wheels.....

Maybe someone on here knows of a trick to keep these little set screws from freezing within the spanner nut?

best of luck,
John

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
McJohn said:
Maybe someone on here knows of a trick to keep these little set screws from freezing within the spanner nut?
anti seize

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Just some advice......dont be so dissapointed if you have a stiff ride after installing your Dhoes. I wasnt impressed with the ONroad ride after they were installed on my truck....but after cycling through the susp. everything turned out great.....you cant just slap these on and expect a great ride. You need to beat on the c/o's a lil bit to get a smooth on-road ride

My .02

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
DRs ride great. its more sports car type of feel so you'll get better handling.The ride will be alittle stiffer but if you want a soft ride, you should stick with stock suspension.

With the earlier tacomas, a lot of guys had issues with the banjo bolt on the brake caliper hitting the coil bucket even when instructions are followed by bending the banjo fitting. Some even lost braking power. Lower profile banjo bolt and proper alignment seems to b ethe fix.

I dont know about 05+ tacomas having this issue. With that said, they are THE best coilovers on the market. And the allen nut issue on the spanner. Its not really an issue because most people only pay with the pre load adjustment for the first few weeks to ge the ride height ride. AFter that you set it and forget it. X2 on Anti sieze .

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
take out your sway bar! The donoahoes are good without them! Im running 35's with no sway bar and normal donahoes.. You do have to notch your frame however.

Also I would do a search, this topic has been discuss time after time. Even in the Suspension folder! :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have been told that if you run a new UCA it will allow a 285/75r16 to fit on a stock rim. There might be a bit of rubbing near the pintch weld or frame at full lock, but It should work. I hope so, I just ordered my Cooper STTs. With out the aftermarket UCA's it will rub on them. If someone has any different experiences please post.

Thanks

TacoCambo said:
I'm looking at the same setup.........Can you run tires that big on stock rims?? I love the look of the stock rims but I figured they weren't backspaced right to run 285/75/R16's..........Do the Camburg arms correct this...?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What size tires are you running now with your DR's and Camburg UCA's with what amount of lift? Any rubbing?

Thanks

comatzd said:
X2 on that...otherwise things are great. I'm just waiting to upgrade to those 285's (or the 17" FJ setup).

·
Registered
345 Posts
McJohn said:
I have them on my wifes Sequoia and they ride a little stiff but some like that. The only real issue is the little allen bolt that sets the spanner nut often freezes within the spanner nut after being on the truck a while. Mine are currently boxed up pending instructions on sending them back to Donahoe for repair. I called Donahoe and they are willing to fix one of them for free but one of them was damaged with my heavy hands trying to free the set screw, that one they are going to charge me for the price of a new spanner nut. Customer service is good, fact that the set screw froze in the first place is bad. Plus I'll have to pay for shipping. If I didn't have the stock struts still sitting around the house the truck would be down while the coil overs were being shipped back.

A note on tire clearance, I don't think the coil over lifts do anything to help clear tires as much as a new wheel with less backspacing will do. I tried running 285/65R17s with the coil overs at the "set from factory" height of ~2.5" and they rubbed like crazy with factory wheels so I now run 275/65R17 on the factory wheels and am going to back the preload off a bit to soften the ride (that's when I discovered the frozen set screw). Basically I want the front to sit level with no lift in the rear.

Not sure if the Taco has more clearance than a Sequoia but I doubt it, if anything I would assume it would be the other way around. If the aftermarket UCA's are shaped differant that may give you some room but I would plan on new wheels if you want anything around a 32/11.50 tire. My double cab 4wd will be in after Christmas and I'm planning on doing the same thing, Donahoe Coil Overs with only 1 to 1.5" of lift dialed in and hopefully a 285/60R18 tire on the BBS wheels.....

best of luck,
John
You will have no problem running the 285-60-18/BBS setup. I have been running that exact combo for about a year now. No rubbing after I remove the fron t flaps. I am not running any lift. Stock suspension.

·
Registered
345 Posts
One tip on the set screw issue. Once you have everything locked in place cover the set screw whole with grease. It will keep out the dirt and grime that causes then to seize.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
06TacoCDN said:
I have a 06 DBL CAB TRD Offroad looking to swap out the stock Shocks/Springs for the 0-3.5" Donahoe C/O's. Anyone have any issues or things they don't like about this setup. I am going to be adding the Camburg UCA's to help run 285/75r16's on stock rims and AAL in the rear with stock shocks.

Thanks
None at all! deavers well with them. Kinda of an injustice to the hoe`s if you leave the rear stock... stock leafs don`t flex-well atleast they don`t with the overload in :D

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
My hoes are great, took a while to soften up. X5 on the anti seize. That tire may be a bit wide for the factory rim and upper control arm clearance may be a problem.

·
Registered
717 Posts
i dont regret spending all the money that i had at the time on them! ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
285/75/R16 on stock rims will fit with lots of cutting of inside fender. I would not suggest putting them on stock rims. I had them mounted on my stock rims but you wouldn't want to hit a bump or go up into a parking lot turning. I didn't leave the garage with them on the stock rims. Aftermarket rim 16x8 with a backspace of 4.625 with a 0 offset works great.

·
Registered
76 Posts
06TacoCDN said:

Thanks
you're gonna hate your rear suspension with that setup. at least i do, i have the alcan aal with stock shocks. as soon as i get my tax refund i'll be redoing the rear. it doesn't flex well, and you'll have almost no down travel. hopefully you can afford a better setup for the rear since you'll have such a nice front suspension

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
21 Participants
06HAOLE
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing