TTORA Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does the Donahoe 3 leaf progressive AAL compare to a standard AAL like the Procomp? Better ride?

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
yeah...all AAL's will stiffen the ride though, i went with shackles

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have heard the difference is night and day vs. a standard ALL. Hopefully a few of the people that own them will chime in. By the way, I believe it is Deaver, not Danahoe that makes the AAL you are refering to. Unless Donahoe recently got into the spring business.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I have the 3 leaf pack, and I am really happy. I have had a single AAL in the past, and they were stiffer for sure, and yes they raised the truck. Deaver makes the pack Donahoe sells. The pack gave 1-3/4" lift, SOLID. Haven't lost it, and I have sacked them out pretty hard. The best thing about them is they almost cured the rear end wheel hop; I believe it was axlewrap. The truck is so light in back, the stuff just kinda twists around when you put down the power. The leafs really helped out, I don't believe my temporary rear shocks could be THAT good. Way worth the $180-220 or so for them. They ride a LOT better than the single leaf I had on another truck.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
emminz said:
Is that all you get out of a 3 leaf AAL? The pack is about 3/4" by itself, correct?
Yep. 1-3/4" was the deal. The max you can get up front is 3" with manual hubs, unless you do a fabtech or the like. It works out well, my truck is level, and I dialed up my coilovers 2-1/2". Take a look at the arch of a progressive pack, vs say... a downey aal. It is pretty clear how they each get the job done. I got the downey aal; took it out of the box, looked at it for a few, had a beer, then put it back in the box. Went down to deaver the next day.Never looked back since.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
you're level with that? i have 2.5" in the front and 1.5" in the rear and i'm still a little higher in the rear

·
Registered
51 Posts
YoTRacer158 said:
you're level with that? i have 2.5" in the front and 1.5" in the rear and i'm still a little higher in the rear
same here.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
4BYnTacoma said:
I have heard the difference is night and day vs. a standard ALL. Hopefully a few of the people that own them will chime in. By the way, I believe it is Deaver, not Danahoe that makes the AAL you are refering to. Unless Donahoe recently got into the spring business.

yeah, your right. It is deaver who makes that leaf pack. I saw it on the donahoe web site and thats what was in my mind when I wrote the post. Brain fart.

·
225 Posts
We dont use anything but Deaver spring for our leaf springs.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Had the AAL and went to the Deaver pack, couldn't be happier..End of story.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
TacoCrazy said:
Had the AAL and went to the Deaver pack, couldn't be happier..End of story.
Amen, brother. Yeah guys. I don't know why, but I have a 2001 x-cab, with the de4aver pack in back, and the downey coilover up front. I pre measured, then installed the stuff. To get the front inline, I went up 2-1/2. But I just measured now to check. 36-3/8 in back, floor to fender, 36-000" in front. So, 3/8 inch difference. If you would like a little more lift in back with the deaver kit, The guys at deaver told me you can run with the overload leaf installed. I took mine out, as they told me to. It makes the ride a bit stiffer they said, and the shock length runs a long 9" after doing it that way. But, you would sit another 5/8" or so higher, and you could at least have the overload capacity. I can see myself now, ass end bounced up 3 feet in the air, 50mph, wondering WTF do I do now..... I'm leaving that bugger out. I'll carry bricks in my chevy!!! :xdevil:

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
My buddy has them on his 01 extra cab. Best option besides rebuilding or getting a new pack. You remove the overload spring when you put that 3 leaf aal in, so if that is a concern for you, you may want to look at a deaver 8 or 9 leaf pack.

Oh, the 3 leaf aal only lifts 1.5", btw... so if you're shooting for 3" you'll need a combo with something else.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
atwinda said:
My buddy has them on his 01 extra cab. Best option besides rebuilding or getting a new pack. You remove the overload spring when you put that 3 leaf aal in, so if that is a concern for you, you may want to look at a deaver 8 or 9 leaf pack.

Oh, the 3 leaf aal only lifts 1.5", btw... so if you're shooting for 3" you'll need a combo with something else.

Odds are Ill just get the complete leaf pack....its only marginally more expensive, (at least when the whole kit price is considered) and it sounds as if it offers the better deal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts