TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Geolanders A/T's, BFG A/T's, Cooper Discovery STT-Maxx, or Goodyear Dura-Tracks???
I have been running a set of 285/75/16 Terra Grapplers for the last 6 years, 60K miles. I was never in love with them. Too stiff in the Colorado winter I have been looking and reading for a week for replacements. Would like a 255/85 but not very many options in a tall, skinny tire. I need a daily driver on highway and a competent mud,snow, mountain climber. Willing to trade a little traction for highway noise and mpg. Not a big fan of 10 ply on a Taco.

Rig is an 02 double cab, 4X4, 2.5 Skyjacker coil-over with leaf package in back. Big-ass ARB front bumper and an ARE shell on back.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I also have read bad things about the sidewalls on the Duratracs. Expedition Portal has good things to say about the STT Max. I have not tried either. My BFG ATs last long and suck at balancing.

I would try the Coopers if they had the STT in a 15" rim.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
My wife's been running 32" Duratracs on her 05' Xterra for a few years now - about 30K miles - they have been killer for what we do with the rig. Mainly pavement pounder/camping/beach type trips. They do great in the rain (live in the PNW) and the handful of snow days we've had. She doesn't play in the rocks or haul 5K lbs though - just light use and mainly daily driver. They wear GREAT!!!
They don't compare to the MTR Kevlars on my 4runner for rocks and mud performance wise, but that's apples to oranges.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
What about that Dick Cepek Fun Country? Pretty new tire that might fit your req's. Never used them though so no opinions on it.

·
Registered
662 Posts
How are the wheeling trails you do? For me, on road snow performance is key for Colorado. Ideally, I'd have a winter set and a summer set but I don't have the funds or garage space for something like that. So, I'm running the Duratrac. I've run some challenging trails here in CO (Chinaman Gulch, Spring Creek, etc) and haven't had any issues with the sidewall. I think that the granite rock we have out here is much less sharp then the stuff you see in CA or AZ.

That being said, I've heard good things about the Cooper ST MAXX as well. As for the STT, they are livable in the snow but not great. The last thing I need is another close call coming down the switchbacks from winterpark on a MT that just wont stick...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts