TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
had my 2.5" Hoes on since Oct 2004 and while backing out of the driveway yesterday (very good timing, imo), the coil on the left shock snapped in half. scared the crap out of me when it happened (pop was rather loud). i'll be calling DR this morning, but i want your advice.

i'm guessing the best plan of action is to remove the shock and send in for repairs. my only hesitation is safety of the coil. while im fairly certain that collar would keep the broken spring in place, it kinda worries me a bit, especially since it will be handled by shipping persons not knowing the potential danger inside.

the split in the coil is toward the top. funny thing is, it looks like it rusted all the way through, suggesting a crack/defect in the coil from the production line that finally just rusted all the way through and gave way. i'm embarassed to admit that the truck was a regularly washed and waxed street queen since i've no time for offroading. as an 04, it only has 11K miles (7K on the shock), so obviously the break wasnt from abuse.

EDIT--the coilovers are at their original factory setting. no cranking whatsoever.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Interesting... Have not heard of this happening before...

Got to be a defect in the spring... I don't see how rust could have eaten thru the hardened spring steel that easily...

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have had a customer that had one like that they will just send you a new spring and what ever you need to fix it.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
i'm guessing the best plan of action is to remove the shock and send in for repairs. my only hesitation is safety of the coil. while im fairly certain that collar would keep the broken spring in place, it kinda worries me a bit, especially since it will be handled by shipping persons not knowing the potential danger inside.
the coil will be safe as long as you dont take the coilover apart

I have had a customer that had one like that they will just send you a new spring and what ever you need to fix it.
a new spring would help, but hes probably better off sending it back to donahoe due to the fact that the spring could have scratched the shaft causing leakage later on.

·
Registered
318 Posts
x2 on the pics, I'd like to see that. Hope they take care of you. Keep us posted, as I'm several of us are in the market for CO's. I've been looking at Donahoes myself for the near future.

·
Registered
348 Posts
No question that Donahoe will take care of you... but I would love to understand more about how or why this occurred.

Us Canadians will be especially interested if it's determined to be the direct result of corrosion.

Pete

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
with the abuse these shocks see froma HUGE number of members here its gotta just be the 1 bad one that slipped through quality control...
they will take care of ya!
Mike

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
i spoke with DR and the coil is covered under warranty. i will be sending it as soon as i find some packaging. if i can find another floor jack and/or stands soon, i'm going to pull the good shock and send for inspection as well. thanks mike at DR and jason demello for being so helpful :)

i'm not sure if it was a defect or what but as you can see in the pics the break/crack in the upper part of the coil looks like its been there for a while since it's rusted on both ends. there is also a break at the bottom of the coil, which is much cleaner, suggesting that it was a sudden break or much more recent than the upper break. perhaps the bottom break occurred when the top gave way? i dunno. either way corrosion could be factor in the process.

there is some damage to the shock body and some small amount of fluid that has leaked around one of the seals at one point.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
WOW, thats crazy! Glad to hear they are taking care of you! I'm sure they are interested in why this happend as well. DR is good people and a good company to work with. Let us know what comes of it all.

Mike

·
Registered
925 Posts
wow those eastern state winters sure wear on the shock/coil. my kings are about 3-4 yrs old now and don't look nearly as bad because of the socal sun.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
IMO if they are rusted all the way through, then they were slowly cracking, then finally gave out. Otherwise, they would have clean metal all the way through. I would be willing to bet that when you take the coil off, you will see one small area that has no rust, just clean break.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would like to give a BIG THANKS to everyone at Donahoe Racing and Demello Offroad for taking care of me. I basically got a brand new shock back after all the repairs for me at no cost. Thanks a bunch, folks. Customer service at its best.

Attachments

·
Registered
456 Posts
Sharkaholic,
Did you do anything to your shock bodies to keep them from rusting? I know you said that your truck was basically a street queen but did you do anything spacial to it during the salt road winters? I am asking because I have the money for a set right now but I am reluctant to put a set on my truck due to the fact that in four years we will be living in Wisconsin and I have seen some ganked up coilovers there.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.