TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay guys....im in college and i own a 00 tacoma. v6 4x4 x cab SR-5. i have seriously been thinking of trading it in for a new vehicle....but with job opportunities on the rise i may keep it and get a fullzie DD. f-250 diesel. anyhow, i would like to SAS my present yota, instead of putting the money into fabtech type lifts and stacking spacers and being limited still with the height. my basic simplistic question. figuring i do all the work myself, weld, cut, blah blah blah....whats the cheapest i can do the sas if using junkyard parts. i would want to take some axles off of a full size dodge ram. would this hurt my transmission?

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
byrdawg said:
okay guys....im in college and i own a 00 tacoma. v6 4x4 x cab SR-5. i have seriously been thinking of trading it in for a new vehicle....but with job opportunities on the rise i may keep it and get a fullzie DD. f-250 diesel. anyhow, i would like to SAS my present yota, instead of putting the money into fabtech type lifts and stacking spacers and being limited still with the height. my basic simplistic question. figuring i do all the work myself, weld, cut, blah blah blah....whats the cheapest i can do the sas if using junkyard parts. i would want to take some axles off of a full size dodge ram. would this hurt my transmission?

Since you asked nicely, I won't flame you. ;) But this question has been asked time and time again on the old board.

A typical SAS can cost anywhere from $2K if you take your time and only buy great deals, or if you want it can cost upwards of $7-8K for a full blown coil over set up. I remember a year or two back someone did a complete leaf spring set up for around $1500. But I think that guy was in the "shopper's hall of fame" or something. That or he had almost everything of major importance before starting. I can't remember for sure.

It has taken me over two years to collect all my parts and I am still not done. Most of the time I have only bought really good deals at other times I get frustraited and just spend money, wanting to get it done. At present I think I am around $3K (but I am too afraid to actually look at the receipts to be accurate) What I am trying to say is if you take your time you can save some money. I bought my axle from a junk yard for $75. But it also seems eventhough it is the most important item, it has been one of the cheapest for me.

Can I ask why you want an axle out of a dodge for? Are you just wanting to go straight to a D60 or something equally as strong? If so, the larger axles are stronger (obviously) but they are also more expensive as far as I can tell. The Dana's out of the Jeep wagoneer like mine are definitely a lot cheaper.

Let me know if there is anything I can assist you with. I am going through similar issues as you are, so feel free to ask me anything you need.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
byrdawg said:
If labor is free, then all you have to do is make a list of every part and material, add it all up, and there's your answer! Every swap is different, and there are lots of different options for lockers, steering parts, etc. Once you have your list, you will get some idea of cost.

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Dayumit

Mike said:
If labor is free, then all you have to do is make a list of every part and material, add it all up, and there's your answer! Every swap is different, and there are lots of different options for lockers, steering parts, etc. Once you have your list, you will get some idea of cost.

Later,
....Mike
:D as usual, great post Mike!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i wanted a little wide track. i could use a wagoneer front axle, manual hubs of course, but id want the rear out of the same vehicle. if that makes sense. plus, i may be wrong, but ive always been under the impression that the axles determine GVWR. and if thats the case im tired of being f'd with by the cops around here for my light weight truck being to tall. bigger axles would allow me to cruise at the height i am now legally.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
byrdawg said:
well i wanted a little wide track. i could use a wagoneer front axle, manual hubs of course, but id want the rear out of the same vehicle. if that makes sense. plus, i may be wrong, but ive always been under the impression that the axles determine GVWR. and if thats the case im tired of being f'd with by the cops around here for my light weight truck being to tall. bigger axles would allow me to cruise at the height i am now legally.
just use 3/4 or one ton ford stuff from a 78-79 f250 or f350 or if your lucky enough you may can find a f250 snow fighter edition that has D60's front and rear. but im going to tell ya going that route isnt going to be the cheapest. IMO take your time and build it right, it will save alot of head aches later down the road after its finished. pricing all depends on what you use for parts and where ya get them. could be anywhere from 2K-15K, i have about 8K in mine with wheels and tires....
Also i know about the axle's and determining the GVWR, down here they ask for weigh in slips to determin everything, and i dont think you are going to or want to get the truck to 8K+lbs. mines right at 4550lbs without me in it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
byrdawg said:
but ive always been under the impression that the axles determine GVWR. and if thats the case im tired of being f'd with by the cops around here for my light weight truck being to tall. bigger axles would allow
me to cruise at the height i am now legally.
n00bie question, but what kind of traffic violation could you run into by having a lifted but light weight truck?

·
Registered
199 Posts
NisAznMonk said:
n00bie question, but what kind of traffic violation could you run into by having a lifted but light weight truck?
it depends on your state. check with the local pd or highway patrol or dmv

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
NisAznMonk said:
bumper heigth in some states has to be under a certian amount of "'s for certian vehicles. vehicles registered with the GWRV over a certian amount is allowed to be higher in some cases... all depends on what state your in. i know they dont give a rats ass here in bama.

·
Registered
451 Posts
ha hahaa.........ok here we go, straight from the cop magnets mouth!.....

Bumper height in rear too high, bumper height in front too high, frame extensions on side too hight, exhaust doesn't come all the way out, Tint on the front windows, headlight height higher than 54 inches, too much under carriage showing, wheels stick out too far from body, fenders have no flares, side view mirrors don't come out far enough for lifted truck, tires too loud for street, stance too wide for street, (yes these are all experiences I've had) and for the grand finale......drum roll.....the most famous that all of us can appreciate:

Sir, you don't have any mud flaps?! thank you thank you, I'm here all week.

oh, and yes to the question you must be thinking of now, I AM from LA ;)

·
Registered
485 Posts
BlingTaco said:
ha hahaa.........ok here we go, straight from the cop magnets mouth!.....

Bumper height in rear too high, bumper height in front too high, frame extensions on side too hight, exhaust doesn't come all the way out, Tint on the front windows, headlight height higher than 54 inches, too much under carriage showing, wheels stick out too far from body, fenders have no flares, side view mirrors don't come out far enough for lifted truck, tires too loud for street, stance too wide for street, (yes these are all experiences I've had) and for the grand finale......drum roll.....the most famous that all of us can appreciate:

Sir, you don't have any mud flaps?! thank you thank you, I'm here all week.

oh, and yes to the question you must be thinking of now, I AM from LA ;)
Holy shit, was each one of those things a fix-it ticket? Or did the cop just complain about it? That would be more than a hassle to have to get the tickets written off. Would basically require putting it back to stock :xcrybaby: . The only thing Ive heard of so far in Ca is no mud flaps and no fender flares, but DAYUM!

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
Lastnight I got a lecture about how my tires stick out too far :D He said he might as well just impound my truck for all the illegal stuff on it HAHAHAHA Right. I guess your tires can only stick out like 3" past the body and mine stick out 6+", oh well, I've always wanted Xenons!!

·
Registered
451 Posts
turbo4door said:
Holy shit, was each one of those things a fix-it ticket? Or did the cop just complain about it? That would be more than a hassle to have to get the tickets written off. Would basically require putting it back to stock :xcrybaby: . The only thing Ive heard of so far in Ca is no mud flaps and no fender flares, but DAYUM!

yes yes.....I've had to rebuild my truck 16 times :D

on a more serious note, I've had 8 fix it tickets, 1/2 of which were tint and mud flaps. I now have quick release mud flaps and have developed a long lasting relationship with my tint guy!! (just can't give up that tint...)

Everything else is complaints either face to face with our states finest or screaming over a pa as they race by at high speed (above the speed limit I might add) ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
9 Participants
BlingTaco
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing