TTORA Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke the first thing on my new 05 yesterday, and boy was I pissed. I got my old 89 toy stuck plowing my driveway, so I hooked it up to my new 05. I get stuck plowing quite often, I treat my old 89 with a 6 foot plow like it's a bulldozer. But I usually pull it out either with my 4 runner that has a reciever hitch, or my landcruiser. But the cruiser was behind a 6 foot snowdrift packed away in the garage, and my fiance had already left with the 4 runner. So I hooked my trusty tow chain to the 89 and then to the tow loop on my 05. I pulled it once, no traction with the crappy tires my 05 came with. So I let the chain drop to the ground and backed up again, no slack in it really, just let it hit the ground. Backed up, once the chain was tight, the 89 moved about a foot, then I heard a loud pop. I then watched the chain as it landed on the roof of the 89. I figured I broke the chain. I broke the tow loop in HALF! That wouldn't be such a big deal, but it also took a 2x3 inch chunk of the bumper cover with it. Down low, so you really can't see it, but still wouldn't you all think a tow point should be used to Tow! I'm sure the dealer will likely see this as abuse and not cover it. So don't use your tow hook on your 05, they are REALLY wussy.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
BMWTACO said:
So I hooked my trusty tow chain to the 89 and then to the tow loop on my 05. I pulled it once, no traction with the crappy tires my 05 came with. So I let the chain drop to the ground and backed up again, no slack in it really, just let it hit the ground.
Why not a recovery strap instead of a chain?

Later,
....Mike

·
Ban Count: 12
1,815 Posts
That was my first thought when I saw that he used a chain. At least he saw what happens when a chain, or part of the towing system breaks with a chain.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mike said:

Later,
....Mike
I actually have a strap in the tacoma, but I keep the chain in the plow truck. I have literally used this chain to pull the plow truck out probably a hundred times. But using the tow hook on my landcruiser, the tow hook on the 4 runner, and the receiver hitch on the 4 runner. Yes a strap would have had less of a chance of breaking the hook, but my point is, the hook is super wussy. And my tow strap just has loops on each end. The tacoma has no actual hook, just a loop, and the 89 has no rear bumper, I just hook onto the shackle (I know this is bad, but it's just a plow truck) so I really couldn't use the strap anyway. I will be fabbing up some new, beefy tow points and installing a receiver hitch on the 05 soon.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oppositeboy said:
That was my first thought when I saw that he used a chain. At least he saw what happens when a chain, or part of the towing system breaks with a chain.
Yes, but I've actually seen it before. I've been wheeling for 15years, and i've seen trailer balls go through windows, chains destroy tailgates, etc. But chains are strong if you use a heavy enough one, it's when other things break that theres a problem.

·
The Road Less Traveled
88 Posts
Mike said:

Later,
....Mike
Chain or strap, I would expect the tow loop to stand up to either one.

·
Registered
136 Posts
It sucks that the tow hook broke, something else to replace on the new ones also.

FYI: If you continue to use a chains, ALWAYS place something heavy on the chain such as a floor mat, heavy coat, blanket, etc. This will cause the chain to fall to the ground versus go flying.

When I worked construction we used these HUGE ASS chains when we would get a pan stuck. The pans we had weightned about 125k pounds empty. We would pull them out with a D9. I have seen many chains break and we always placed a big section of weighted burlap on the chain and it never went flying when we did that.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Another option when using a chain is to thread a rope longer than the chain through some of the links and secure the rope at each end to an additional tow point. That way, the chain flies until the slack in the rope catches up and slows it down, as long as you stop before you make the rope a missle, but hopefully the chain would slow it down (SLIGHT CIRCULAR LOGIC, EH?

daniel

1 - 10 of 10 Posts