TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on doing some sound dampening to cut down on road noise. Thought that would be a good time to replace the door speakers since I will be in there anyways. Looking for some input since I can't go out and listen to all of the different choices. Been looking at some Audiobahn 3way 6.5" speakers. Anybody using Audiobahns? Been looking at them, but I don't know anyone using them. Any other suggestions?

BTW, it is for a 1996 regular cab. I have a JVC 4x40 watt head unit. Just looking for a nice sound without breaking the bank. Just want the 6.5's without adding anything else for now (possibly some 6x9's behind the seat later).

Thanks

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was just looking on Crutchfield's website. They didn't have the Audiobahns listed. They did have some others that may be good. I would like to be able to listen to each.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Neo said:
I was just looking on Crutchfield's website. They didn't have the Audiobahns listed. They did have some others that may be good. I would like to be able to listen to each.
I am and always be a JL fan i love my suba nd the speakers i have heard,that being said they are $$$ but worth it by far,i also like inifinity kappa and kappa perfects...mu :2cents:

·
Registered
198 Posts
i would recommend etronics.com
you don't get the instructions but you will save a couple bucks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help guys. I checked out the websites you all recommended and have been reading up on some reviews. JL Audio, Pioneer, and some others are looking good. Still not sure what to do, but I will keep ckecking things out.

·
Registered
339 Posts
High end stuff, such as JL, can not be bought online. If you want the factory warranty and the customer service from JL you have to buy from a licensed dealer.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sloth said:
High end stuff, such as JL, can not be bought online. If you want the factory warranty and the customer service from JL you have to buy from a licensed dealer.
I don't know anyplace local that sells JL. There is a local place that sells Audiobahn, Blaupunkt, Rockforde Fosgate, and a few others. Looked like they were changing some things around while I was in there yesterday, so I didn't get a chance to listen to many choices. I believe it was Phoenix Gold that they had playing. Hopefully, there will be some others ready to listen to the next time I am in there. They had been changing out some stuff on there speaker display.

·
Registered
339 Posts
A good number of places don't sell JL stuff. They are great speakers, but they might be too much for your setup anyways. Most JL component speakers are designed to be fed more power than a head unit alone can send it. Most places recommend you power them with an amp to maximize their potential.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sloth said:
A good number of places don't sell JL stuff. They are great speakers, but they might be too much for your setup anyways. Most JL component speakers are designed to be fed more power than a head unit alone can send it. Most places recommend you power them with an amp to maximize their potential.
I think I found a place that sells JL and some other good stuff. Hadn't had a chance to check them out yet. You guys seem to be alot more up to date on this stuff then me. So I have a few questions.

Is it possible to get a good quality sound with coaxial speakers, or are component speakers a must have item? Been leaning more toward some 3-way speakers just to keep it simple.

Also, is there any brands to avoid? I know of some, but others I am finding mixed reviews. Some that I have looked at are Pioneer, Polk, Audiobahn, Blaupunkt, Phoenix Gold, Kicker, Rockford Fosgate, and Eclipse.

·
Registered
583 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
PB2theMax said:
Stay away from Audiobahn and 8-way speakers. :rolleyes: One good woofer and one good tweeter is all you need per door. Keep it clean and simple. More does not equal better when it comes to auto sound.

If you want to go with the usual retail brands then I'd stick to JL Audio or Pioneer's TS series. Like these http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310069898_191756456,00.html
I had the chance to listen to some Phoenix Gold speakers. They sounded pretty good. What do you think about their Octane-R6.5 component set? Figure the components will sound even better than their 2-way speakers I heard. I like the idea of going with components. Then maybe add a sub for some bass. I think they sell for a little over $100 for the set.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have an 04 double cab. I dont want to get subs and am wondering the best speaker (or best way) that will give me a good bass and good highs. Or is that even possible? I know nothing about this. Thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
schcott said:
I have an 04 double cab. I dont want to get subs and am wondering the best speaker (or best way) that will give me a good bass and good highs. Or is that even possible? I know nothing about this. Thanks
I also have an 04 D-cab.
If your not gonna get an amplifier, I recommend Infinity reference 6x8.
Your also not going to get great bass w/o a sub.
It will however sound better.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the help guys. I ordered Phoenix Gold components from Sonic Electronix and thinking about ordering an 8" sub from them. I have been looking at the Kicker 05CVR84. Just want something with some good sound quality (not worried about hearing it hit a mile down the road). Going to buy the amps, wiring, ect. at a local place. Any other sub I should be looking at?
Thanks Again for the help.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've always been partial to Cerwin Vega. If you want to go ebay-ing, I used to have some 8" Pyles that sounded pretty good that you can find on there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts