TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know the story is already going around some, and I want to just put it out there as the facts so no speculation is necessary. Basically, I was very lucky to have lived through the wreck I was in last night. Under the worst of circumstances, it could not have gone better.

My truck (Doris) is kind of mid build. So there have been some kinks to iron out, but so far nothing like this. At the time, I was running doorless which made the wreck even scarier by a factor of 10. I take full responsibility for the mechanical failure of my truck, and thank god that i did not kill or seriously injure another person on the highway. I could not live with myself if that were the case. NO FURTHER COMMENT IS NECESSARY HERE.

The background: I was headed up to Ft. Collins from Arvada going northbound on I-25. Again the truck was doorless, and loaded with a good amount of tools and gear being transported up north. Btw, Russel, your axle housing is strapped to the back... Fortunately everything was strapped and secured well enough that nothing heavy went through my head.

I was traveling approximately 70 mph in the center lane about 3 miles north of highway 119 in Longmont. when the truck slowly began to drift towards the left. I do not believe there was anyone next to me, but if there was, they got out of the way safely. I tried to correct the truck back, but realized that I had lost all steering input. I hit the brakes hard just as the truck veered more into the median. I only got about 1 second of brake time before I heard "pop" and a spray near the front tire, followed by my foot going to the floor. At this point there was no longer any more time to do anything else but hang on and brace for impact. I first flattened a reflector, and then went into the safety cables of the median at what I would assume is about 50 mph at this point. I came in with no steering and no brakes looking at the flimsy looking cables on the other side. I fully expected to ride right over the cables into the heavy traffic on the other side. I have never been so scared in my life, and probably have never been so close to death. Fortunately, the cables turned my wheels back in the proper direction, and the only thing to cross them was the front driver tire. I hit 6 of the posts along the median before coming to a rest.

The Damage: Destroyed fender, blown brake line, smashed cab, disconnected steering shaft, defective vehicle ticket, and bruised hips and chest from the seat belt.

I cannot believe I came out unscathed. The damage shows that the cables came within 6 inches of my body. I cannot believe the truck is okay too. Especially after how seriously it was tangled in the cables. There are 3 cables. 2 of them went over the tire and were resting on top of the axle. 1 of them went under and were pinned against the bottom of the axle. The cables cut into my ball gussets a little, but really otherwise did not damage anything that's not sheet metal. I really do not understand either failure. For one...how the HELL do you blow a hole in a break line? And two, I can't pull the steering shaft apart by hand, and I really don't see how it came apart? All I know is that it was in 2 pieces...

It was a careful extrication process, and the tow truck driver was a pro. We had to lift up the truck with the passenger front tire then take off the tangled wheel. This mostly freed up the top cables. Then the bottom 2 were still stuck and had to be pried off with a big pry bar. Then with the drivers side still suspended in the air, the driver carefully maneuvered his truck to get mine (and his) away from the cables. We then put the tire back on and set it back on the ground before winching it up on the flat bed. I took some pictures:

The truck is now at Troy and Molly's, who graciously offered me their driveway. This saved me big time on the towing bill, as I was already paying another $60 for the extrication, and $3.50 per mile. Being in Longmont, I was halfway between my 2 homes so there would not have been an easy way. Thanks again Lysmachia and Redrunnertc!

One last thing: I would appreciate if you could refrain from negative comments. I know I screwed up. I know this could have been much worse. I'm just happy that me and every one else on that highway came out alive.

·
Registered
494 Posts
.......the steering shaft came apart???? how does that work???? those cables could have easily taken legs and arms and whatnot..........im keeping my doors on from now on.........i truely have had nightmares of this happening to me in my rig.............im glad you made it out in one piece..........time to upgrade to stainless lines????

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
To tell you the truth Kyle, I thought you were trying to drive over the cables to the other side of traffic. I am glad that you are ok though! Sounds pretty scary though...

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To tell you the truth Kyle, I thought you were trying to drive over the cables to the other side of traffic. I am glad that you are ok though! Sounds pretty scary though...
I'm not always intelligent or law abiding....but definitely not...

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Good grief!!! I'm glad you are okay man!!! And thankfully no one else got hurt either.

Sucks about the cab, but at least the damage was relatively minor mechanically. You shouldn't have too much issue fixing the damage, and you can either leave the cab or find another and do a swap.

No idea on how things came apart. I bet something hit your brake line though.

Again, glad you are okay!

·
7,735 Posts
It looks like my weekend is mostly free. Let me know if you want a hand down at HOW-N tightening/checking things.

As for the brake line blowing.. I wonder if you had some rubbing going on and just got a weak point in the line. Ike's had problems like that a couple of times now with his BL.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It happens....and we have all been there

Glad you're OK.

BTW, Nice flex pic (on the back of the tow truck) :D

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
It happens....and we have all been there

Glad you're OK.

BTW, Nice flex pic (on the back of the tow truck) :D
X2... no beating up from us.... As I said on FB, 3 of the 4 stearing knuckle bolts sheared off and I didn't know it (This was like 4 months into owning tippy) When the shake got so bad I took it to all phase and they couldn't believe the last one held and I didn't get killed!

Just glad you are ok, and as you know we will all do what we can to help you get this back togather for ya!

·
Registered
15,034 Posts

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Sucks to hear, glad you made it out OK.

I'll refrain from my comments, but you know what I'm referring to.

It could of been worse, but glad it worked out for the best considering the circumstances!

I'll likely be free (dependent on what happens with the motor for my car) on saturday/sunday, so if a hand is needed I'd be willing to help out. HOW N isnt far from me at all. Keep me posted.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Damn dude, glad you're alright. This scares me as I can't find the clank in my truck and have been suspicious of the steering for some time. I may have to just keep trying to fix it rather than driving til it breaks if it is indeed steering. No one needs this to happen.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Wow. Glad to hear you're ok. I can't imagine looking at those cables through no door at that speed - whoever came to pick me up would need to bring some new shorts too. :D But it's a good thing they put them up, as they certainly did their job.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Damn...that is freakish. Glad you're ok.

I will say I have a busy weekend, but most of it will be finished up by Sunday, and we're swinging by HOW N on Sunday evening anyway, in case the truck is still there and another wrench hand would be helpful.

-Sean

·
Registered
494 Posts
im still wondering how a 37in mtr got between the cables............lol.........glad it did........might be needing that new front axle housing after all if the ball is all screwed up on that side

·
Registered
233 Posts
Glad you are ok. Metal can always be fixed. Any of us who do our own work are in no position to comment, most of the time. Good luck getting her back on the road. I'm a little far to chip in at the HOW north, but good luck.

·
Registered
342 Posts
damn dude.... lucky you have no serious injuries.... only bruises and a mucked up truck.... i would neveer wish a vehicle related accident on anyone mostly cause ild be scared shitless my self... im actually kinda glad my ttruck ran out of gas on my camping trip this weekend.... when we were comming down from the mountains saw a flipped jeep on the side of a dirt road (hit a mud puddle going like 50-60 hydroplained into a barbed wire fence....they were fine and had a farmers loadder righting them...) but yeah shitty times but at least your fine.....

reminds me of finding out 4 years ago about the steering coupler on my mercury being none exsistant and only bolts knocking against each other to steer bout pissed myself in my shop just looking under the hood after driving 100 times back and forth twixt loveland and greeley..... thank god your fine....

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Wow.... and i always thought that those cables wouldn't actually be able to keep someone on the right side of things and they just sliced vehicles up. I am glad to hear that you are ok though... doesn't really matter how it happened, you are alive and thats the good part.

Let me know if you need a hand... im always down to help get things up and running and to make sure that they still work right for ya

1 - 20 of 52 Posts