TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After more than a year visiting this forum and watching the builds you guys have I decide to start mine, I have been learning alot from your builds. Since I live in Mexico and Pesos VS dollars is to much diference is a low budget project, friends are helping and I Try to do the most possible myself.

Is my first build so any feedback and sugestions are welcome.

This is the truck before I bring it to Mexicali.

Got bedsides in Sandiego and front fenders in TJ, these are installed.

Cutted Inner fenders to clear 35"

I found these in a junk yard, and took them to a local builder to reinforce the spindle and install the espherical.

I did the body work just enougth to square the cab and take dimenssions to buil the cage.

Took me from April to September to put the truck like the last picture, Because I want to have it with plates and legal in Mexico, tail lights, windscren etc, etc.

Then the funny part.

We start playing with the bendtech, this is the back hoop design, and the drawing we sent to Bill Sabage at score to review the design for 3 seats.

[

This is the bender, the 4130 and our first hoop.

Now the middle hoop

Lateral brace. I am getting better with the notches.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Just wondering why you decided to go with 4130? Looks like everything's mig welded and something tells me that you don't plan on heat treating it? Maybe I'm wrong..

·
Registered
523 Posts
Omtoy, glad to have you on the forum. Wow! Really awesome start to your build! Bends and cuts look spot on, especially for your first truck build. everything looks very well done.

I would love to see what your plan for the truck is. Could you do a quick write up of what is coming next? And what races are you aiming for? 250, 500, 1000? or all of them :) ??

With running 35 inch tires, I would say run 4.56 or 4.88 ring and pinion gears. But with an automatic transmission, maybe you could get away with 4.30s, if you are wanting it for the street as well. But in that silt these Toyotas need lower gearing for sure.

Are you going with a Ford nine inch rearend, or keeping the Toyota rear?

I noticed that the upper A arm and the spindle are not at the stock angle any more with the uniball you had welded in. How did you figure the geometry of the suspension? It looks great by the way!

I would remove the dust shields on the back of the spindles. They will just collect rocks.

When you are doing the clearance for the 35 inch tires cut more than you think. I have done it three times now after hitting at full compression with the tires turned at different angles. here is a great link for doing that. http://www.trailslesstraveled.com/viewarticle.php?id=63&catid=42

I always go to the Baja 500 to watch and enjoy the race. My team races the 1000 every year as well. I am really looking forward to seeing your truck down there. Best of luck

Sean

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just wondering why you decided to go with 4130? Looks like everything's mig welded and something tells me that you don't plan on heat treating it? Maybe I'm wrong..
Short story is, I was thinking in doit with DOM but when we call the metal company they ofer us a discount because of the amount of steel we where buying we quote enought for the truck and a friend jeep thats why we bought the bender and the notcher, so we decide as we call, probably wrong desicion because some people think must be weld it with TIG. but after some research we deside to use the mig welder we already had, probably wrong too but after playing with the welder we feel fine.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Short story is, I was thinking in doit with DOM but when we call the metal company they ofer us a discount because of the amount of steel we where buying we quote enought for the truck and a friend jeep thats why we bought the bender and the notcher, so we decide as we call, probably wrong desicion because some people think must be weld it with TIG. but after some research we deside to use the mig welder we already had, probably wrong too but after playing with the welder we feel fine.
Omtoy, glad to have you on the forum. Wow! Really awesome start to your build! Bends and cuts look spot on, especially for your first truck build. everything looks very well done.

I would love to see what your plan for the truck is. Could you do a quick write up of what is coming next? And what races are you aiming for? 250, 500, 1000? or all of them :) ??

With running 35 inch tires, I would say run 4.56 or 4.88 ring and pinion gears. But with an automatic transmission, maybe you could get away with 4.30s, if you are wanting it for the street as well. But in that silt these Toyotas need lower gearing for sure.

Are you going with a Ford nine inch rearend, or keeping the Toyota rear?

I noticed that the upper A arm and the spindle are not at the stock angle any more with the uniball you had welded in. How did you figure the geometry of the suspension? It looks great by the way!

I would remove the dust shields on the back of the spindles. They will just collect rocks.

When you are doing the clearance for the 35 inch tires cut more than you think. I have done it three times now after hitting at full compression with the tires turned at different angles. here is a great link for doing that. http://www.trailslesstraveled.com/viewarticle.php?id=63&catid=42

I always go to the Baja 500 to watch and enjoy the race. My team races the 1000 every year as well. I am really looking forward to seeing your truck down there. Best of luck

Sean
Thanks Sean

I will try to answer as much as possible.

My idea is to start at CODE that is the Mexican organization that make races in Mexicali and if there is a chance some with score. For now I am enjoing the building.
Next are the seats, actualy are in place we are finishing the mounting i will post pictures during the week.

A friend is picking up the leaves the 19, I have some engine cage parts cut and bend. and the bed cage will happen in january.

I really woul like to have the 9" but are to much pesos for now, for now the stock.

The dust shields are out, I weld a piece of 4130 on the top of the spindle to cut as the geometry needs, my first idea was to have more adjustment for the coilover.

And yes i did not cut enought to clear 35" i need to cut more.

Thanks for your advices I really apreciate, I try to go and watch all score races unless work dont allowme, 250,500 1000, and the Code and record let me know if you come for the 250.

Octavio.

·
Registered
216 Posts
mmmmmmmmmmmmoooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeee lol

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update till today, I have a question for you guys. I cut the floor in the back to put the seat low enought to clear the 3" from the helmet to the cage. Is this legal for score? i did not find any restriction on the cab floor.

Next is the engine cage, for now nothing is complety weld excep for the back hoop, the idea is to weld from the front to the back, and cut the roof,

Thanks

·
Registered
558 Posts
lookin good so far. I wouldnt worry about the cut in the floor just cover it with sheetmetal and they shouldnt give you any problems.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys.

I was a little worry on the floor because in a section of the rule book it says internal body structural members must remain intact, but I think is interpretation. Thanks 7sx you are the man.

Black hawk for the back Next week a friend is picking up custom made deavers 57.5", and we just receive shackles and hangers from total chaos. now Iam looking from bypasses 3" x 16", and in the front 2.5 x10" coilovers.

We found a fuelsafe Sportman (black bladder) 32 gallons, but I decide to call Bill Savage just to be shure, and he told me that is only aproving the Procell (white bladder) from fuel safe. if somebody SoCal have any off these let me know.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I know you said 3.0 x 16 but I have in my possession some 2.5 x 18 king bypasses that the owner would probably let go for a decent price if interested at all. They're on the rear of a tacoma running leafs right now. Hardly any use on them.

What's funny is I see this all the time... Using a manual non hydro machine, bend up the same size mild, dom and 4130 and you'll see why you would use 4130. The welds aren't going to fail if they're good and the extra strength in the material isn't going to hurt anything!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Feliz 2012

Here are some updates.

Now we are ready to weld all 360 and add gussets in the cab cage and continue with the bed and engine cage.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Buenas noches a todos

Here is an update.

Boxing the frame.

Stock vs custom deavers.

Setting the leafs, gave us about 16" travel metal to metal.

Bedcage, and waiting for the shocks, to continue with the brackets and triangulation.

We are planing to go to Curt Le Duc swap meet to look for more parts.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ai la llevas compadre
what deavers pack are those??:confused:
Gracias.

We called deaver and just tell them the information of the truck and score rule 57.5" for 7sx truck, they ask us for the gas tank size and spares we are planing to have on the bed, (one spare tire, gas tank behind the cab, a jack, tools and bateries). I think is the same package,Long beach racers, Kurt Youngs, and 7sx from this forum have, well mine is doble cab probably not the same.

The sticker have this number: 3703-579, I guess is the job number.

Thanks

·
Registered
578 Posts
project is looking great.

headed to the swap meet myself

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Progress

Buen dia

Here is an update.

More tubing in the bed cage.

I was able to put the dash back togheter.

New floor.:welder:

My birthday present.:D

I hope they fit in!!!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
About this Discussion
70 Replies
18 Participants
Omtoy
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing