TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2002 extra cab TRD with the 5 spd transmission that is wrecked. I would like to put the transmission into a Double cab and swap the automatic out.

I would assume that since I have a complete vehicle to work with, that it would only be a matter of switching harnesses, and an ECU. I don’t want to get into this project and end up cutting and splicing wires, and having things like Cruise, pw, pl. not work.

Since I am starting with an 02 extra cab, does that mean I need to buy a 01-02 double cab? Or would it not be anymore work to do a 03-04? My thought is to stick with an 02 and 02. Plus I heard that the TBW of the 03 and 04 don’t take to well if I someday added a supercharger.

Other than what year to choose…

Would it be better to go with a prerunner (as far as similarity between wiring goes)or stick with a 4x4?

Anyone that has done this, would you do it again?
Is my thinking correct in needing to switch the whole vehicle’s, body and engine harnesses to get everything to work without cutting and spicing a crazy amount?

Suggestions/pointers?
Especially if you have done this or have an understanding of the wiring involved?

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
You'll be better off with an 01/02 because in late 02 they moved around some sensors and such in the wiring harness and it may throw off some things. Look into your current ext. cab.

If the evap canister is down under the bed (not visible in the engine bay) then i would recommend a late 02 or 03/04 over an 01/02 as it will save you a lot of headache.

·
Registered
984 Posts
There used to be a good writeup on a Double Cab auto-to-manual swap out at junglecode.com.

Unfortunately, that online documentation seems to have gone MIA, and the Wayback Machine didn't have it archived.

I've recently reconstructed the writeup from the copies of the materials I had in my own archives, so it wouldn't be lost forever. The reconstruction is over at CustomTacos:

http://www.customtacos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137151

P.S. - If anyone knows who's due credit for the original writeup (there were no clues on the archived documentation) I'll be happy to add those details to the archived CT reconstruction.

·
Registered
597 Posts
subscribed to this thread, once my automatic goes tits up I plan on swapping in a manual much the same, except more than likely it would be only the transmission I would be replacing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: 00regcab. These changes in the sensors that you talk about, is this when they switched to TBW?

Ill check the evaporative canister. If it’s a late 02 will I still have to do some spicing to go into an 03/04 DC?
I found a nice 04 DC 4x4 that is super low miles, super clean and very expensive, thus the reason I want to do this right and not hack a good truck up (hence asking for ideas from other before I dive in).

Thanks for the link, years ago I read the old one that’s not available anymore.

Is this just a crazy project that isn’t worth doing?

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
There used to be a good writeup on a Double Cab auto-to-manual swap out at junglecode.com.

Unfortunately, that online documentation seems to have gone MIA, and the Wayback Machine didn't have it archived.

I've recently reconstructed the writeup from the copies of the materials I had in my own archives, so it wouldn't be lost forever. The reconstruction is over at CustomTacos:

http://www.customtacos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137151

P.S. - If anyone knows who's due credit for the original writeup (there were no clues on the archived documentation) I'll be happy to add those details to the archived CT reconstruction.
I didn't fully read the write up (nice work recovering that!), but it didn't seem like they went into any real detail on electrical... just touched over a few ECM issues over older Tacoma's... is there more information on this part of the swap?

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Is this just a crazy project that isn’t worth doing?
Depends... I like wheeling the automatic, but when it get's fried, $4k or more could do a really nice swap to a manual tranny... If the truck is running fine, it doesn't appear to be financially worth it (unless you have the money to put into the truck)... a used tranny goes for around $700 or so... (if you're selling), but I'd want to know it's status personally or I'd have one rebuilt ($4k-ish)... thus cheaper for me to slowly source the parts for when the inevitable happens.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The junglecode write up is good but my concern is electrical side of it.

Any input about the electronics is appreciated?

I’m wondering what differences there are in ECU, between the auto and manual, and all the sensors would match up.

Would I have to mess with body harness? Engine harness? Or is the wiring from transmission to ECU 100 % separate from other harnesses?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Not to thread jack, but I have a few questions.

What is to be done about drive-shaft length?

Will there be ECU issues (CEL's, etc.)?

Is this swap possible with a push-button transfer case?

Besides the holes needing to be drilled, it seems like a very straight-forward swap (no big cutting, welding, splicing). But, I'd just be concerned about the ECU functioning properly.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From what I know, you have to cut a whole for the shift levers. No welding needed and I am trying to find out if there is any spilcing. My goal would be to do it with comparable years so that there are no CEL lights and no splicing but I'm not sure what years will work with the 02 that I have.

·
Registered
131 Posts
iv thought about doing this a couple times, then i ended up going with the ext cab so i could have the manual, i hate autos. i imagine the hardest part would be installing the pedals, i hope you dont have to relocate the brake pedal, im sure you wouldnt have to as long as you get a smaller pedal for it. I would assume its best to go with the the same year, mine is an 02 with the manual 4x4 shifting, my buddys 03 is push button into 4x4 and shift into low4x4, maybe do a car fax on your current 02 to find out what month it was built in, im not sure if car fax tells you that or not though,
i noticed one guy said they changed some shit around in the later 02s. keep us posted with pics, im very interested to know how this goes! good luck!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am going to track down someone that is better at schematics then myself but my impression from the service manual on line is that the wiring is the same. At least I never found a page that specified a difference for
5vzfe auto extra cab vs manual, just a diff page for double cab and it was the window electronics that were different.
With the exception of one harness that is obviously different btw the transmissions but plug into a single plug on the engine that is listed as being the same despite it being auto or manual.

I would think that even if the harnesses are the same the ECU would need changed due to different programming or something.

I just want to get this straight before I buy a Double cab that isn't the best year that I could have chosen.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had an 06 and it was the worst vehicle I have ever owned out of 16 months it was in the shop for nearly 3 months. (went to arbitration and won) Its my opinion that although they look cool the build quality is not as good. Just my opinion though. Thats why I want to do the swap, plus it would be a special/limited truck.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
The only problem i heard about from Yotamasters in Corona was that it will throw a code for the Starting in park. You just wire the parking wire to the N and its gone.. He also told me the only other codes he got was from a 5lug auto swapped to a 5 speed with t-case. It threw some other code because the computer is different from the 5 lugs and the Prerunners/4x4's. As far as wiring for the 4x4 Light and the clutch cancel its all about reading that manual and following wires. Thats what I got from Eric at Yotamasters.

·
Registered
648 Posts
so its fairly possible to make this nearly plug-and-play. It seems like the ECU would adapt pretty good. Except for what SafetyDang stated about the code, but it seems like an easy fix.

The key is just having all the parts and harnesses together I suppose

·
Registered
96 Posts
With a 5speed, the Auto ECU will throw a CEL and code, it's tied to the shift points in the slushbox. Without getting a signal, the ECU thinks the tranny is f'd up, you'll go into open loop with no tranny feed back. Mileage and power will likely be adversely impacted.

You'll need the 5 speed ecu, a wiring and pin diagram for each ECU. Re-pin the plugs on your DC harness to match the 5speed ECU, using the ECU plugs from the 5speed truck. Best to proceed one pin/wire at a time and match each one up. You'll also need to match up some wires from the tranny end, put the 5 speed plugs on them, and re-route if necessary. If you want the clutch start safety feature with over ride switch, best to cut it out of the wrecked truck harness and piggy back onto your DC harness.

Wiring is simple simon, go one wire at a time and follow the diagrams. An 02 Taco, other than airbags, is little more complex than an 85 with EFI. 03-04 are a little more complex with the fly by wire throttle, but it's just a few more wires.

You'll need the matching center console and boot(s) for your year if the DC is a different color inside. The 5sp/auto drivelines are different lengths by an inch or so.

I've got an 02 DC Auto, and have all the parts from a wrecked 5 speed truck. Tranny, flywheel, drivelines, clutch/pressure plate, clutch master/slave/plumbing, pedal cluster, x-member, mounts, shifter hole from the floor I cut out, the whole shot. I even made a template for where to cut the firewall for the master. I was dead set on swapping to 5 speed when the auto failed. I'm still waiting... and the auto has certainly grown on me in the mean time. The parts stare at me every time I enter the garage.

·
Registered
171 Posts
CLutch Pedal

iv thought about doing this a couple times, then i ended up going with the ext cab so i could have the manual, i hate autos. i imagine the hardest part would be installing the pedals, i hope you dont have to relocate the brake pedal, im sure you wouldnt have to as long as you get a smaller pedal for it. I would assume its best to go with the the same year, mine is an 02 with the manual 4x4 shifting, my buddys 03 is push button into 4x4 and shift into low4x4, maybe do a car fax on your current 02 to find out what month it was built in, im not sure if car fax tells you that or not though,
i noticed one guy said they changed some shit around in the later 02s. keep us posted with pics, im very interested to know how this goes! good luck!!!
I went to salvage yard and had to go with one of the pullers. I showed him what i wanted and got it. You do have to change the brake pedal but it is easy. I cleaned up the old pedal and painted black. No more rust. The holes and nuts are there for the clutch pedal mount up high behind the instrument panel. I have mine already plumbed and pedal installed. I am rebuilding the r150 I got inthe garage.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I did this swap in a '02 D-Cab once.

Do yourself a favor and get a truck the same year, with the same specs except for the auto tranny and just swap all of the wiring over. This way will save you major headaches and be the easiest way.

Everything else just bolts up. You will have to drill holes in the firewall for the clutch master cylinder and cut out a strip of metal off the top of the tranny tunnel.

If you use a auto tranny ECU with a manual tranny, it will throw a CEL but it still runs correctly.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.