TTORA Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone put Double cab coils (and not the Dcab strut) on an OEM 95.5 - 04 reg or xcab ?

If so, what year of Dcab spring? TRD - NonTRD spring?

What year is your Tacoma? 4 or v6? Reg or xcab? Trd - Non TRD? Aftermarket bumper/winch? Type or brand of strut?

How much front lift (no spacers) ?
Is the ride Softer? The same? Stiffer?


I'd like a spring softer than the 2wd TRD Tundra coils yet with the same lift (2" - 2 1/2") with out using spacers.


97reg cab v6
chev rear springs
head lights really need adjusting
 

·
Not really here...
Joined
·
3,013 Posts
JohnInDenver said:
How much front lift (no spacers) ? Is the ride Softer? The same? Stiffer? I'd like a spring softer than the 2wd TRD Tundra coils yet with the same lift (2" - 2 1/2") with out using spacers.

I assume you're talking about using Tacoma double-cab coils, rather than Tundra ones? I don't think the double-cab coils provide much, if any lift. There's still some discussion (see here) about the differences between the Tacoma coils and the Tundra coils, especially in relation to the spring rates, which will factor into stiffness/softness.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I have read the extensive info on this board as well as Pirate and Yota Tec several times. Tundra 2wd TRD front coils work well on a 4runner with the right strut.

I don't want to loose any front flex with a coil-strut assembly that is too stiff. I have some 2000 2x4 non TRD Tundra coils (red white 14.8 " high). They give the needed lift but are way too stiff for my purposes. I'll trade those for something not so stiff.


Will the ride on a regular cab be too stiff with a 2wd Tundra TRD coil compared to a 4runner that weighs up to 1,000 pounds more (my weight is 2,800 and a loaded 4runer is 3,900) ? Anybody try this, especially on a regular cab?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
JohnInDenver said:
compared to a 4runner that weighs up to 1,000 pounds more (my weight is 2,800 and a loaded 4runer is 3,900)
No way your weight is 2,800 pounds. I think you are using 2wd mini numbers. The published curb weight of a 4x4 regular cab v6 is about 3,400 pounds. About 2,000 pounds in front and 1,400 in the rear.

Now the published curb weight of a 3rd generation 4runner is 3740 pounds. I don't know the f/r distribution but based on what I know about the shape of the 2 vehicles, I would say a majority of that extra 340 pounds is on the rear suspension of the 4runner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
I was extrapolating on the weight of a v6 reg cab since they haven't made them recently and I don't have a direct reference. Looking at a diffent source for curb weights you might be closer to 3300 pounds but still, not 2800.
 

·
Split it open-Eat it out!
Joined
·
659 Posts
JohnInDenver said:
Anyone put Double cab coils (and not the Dcab strut) on an OEM 95.5 - 04 reg or xcab ?

If so, what year of Dcab spring? TRD - NonTRD spring?

What year is your Tacoma? 4 or v6? Reg or xcab? Trd - Non TRD? Aftermarket bumper/winch? Type or brand of strut?

How much front lift (no spacers) ?
Is the ride Softer? The same? Stiffer?


I'd like a spring softer than the 2wd TRD Tundra coils yet with the same lift (2" - 2 1/2") with out using spacers.


97reg cab v6
chev rear springs
head lights really need adjusting
Double cab coils are shorter than reg cab and xtra cab coils. Most people do just the opposite of what you want to do.
 

·
Smoked Out!
Joined
·
1,869 Posts
Pink Taco said:
Double cab coils are shorter than reg cab and xtra cab coils. Most people do just the opposite of what you want to do.

Actually Tacoma coils only come in 4 different configurations:

4cyl Non-TRD
4cyl TRD
V6 Non-TRD
V6 TRD

The difference is that the Dcabs come with shorter shocks up front. Not shorter coils.
 

·
Split it open-Eat it out!
Joined
·
659 Posts
when comparing my '99 coils to a '03 dcab coils mine were almost 1.5" longer.
 

·
Not really here...
Joined
·
3,013 Posts
JohnInDenver said:
- I have some 2000 2x4 non TRD Tundra coils (red white 14.8 " high). They give the needed lift but are way too stiff for my purposes.

- Will the ride on a regular cab be too stiff with a 2wd Tundra TRD coil?
I'm confused. At first you say you have the 2wd TRD Tundra coils and that they're too stiff. But then you ask if they'll be too stiff. :confused:
 

·
Smoked Out!
Joined
·
1,869 Posts
Pink Taco said:
when comparing my '99 coils to a '03 dcab coils mine were almost 1.5" longer.
Is yours TRD? Was your 4 cyl or V6? Was the DCab TRD?

from my understanding non TRD coils will appear bigger because they are non progressive. TRD coils are progressive, and they will have the top(or bottom) coils slightly closer together even without any load on them. What I think you were looking at was your coils (non TRD) next to the DCab coils(TRD) and that's why they appeared smaller.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
So has anyone put DCab TRD coils AND shocks on an Xcab? I am about to buy some but I want to make sure they will fit, and sit about the same hieght.
Thanks,
Mark
 

·
Smoked Out!
Joined
·
1,869 Posts
marktaylor99 said:
So has anyone put DCab TRD coils AND shocks on an Xcab? I am about to buy some but I want to make sure they will fit, and sit about the same hieght.
Thanks,
Mark
What is your current set up? Like stated before to the best of my knowledge there are only 4 different configurations. They should all sit about the same as long as they are 4cyl, going into 4 cyl, and V6 going into V6. The TRD and non TRD sit about the same, but have a very different feel to them. The only time you get a difference in ride height is when you go 4cyl on V6 and V6 on 4cyl. They are made for different weight carrying loads so V6 coils will lift a 4 cyl truck by like 1/2 to 1" and i'm assuming the opposite also applies. TRD and non TRD coils will just make the ride stiffer or non stiffer. The shorter shocks from a DCab might just limit your up travel, but shouldn't affect the ride as much. Also the height may very depending on the condition of the coils. They tend to sag as time goes on so that also has to be taken into account.
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,846 Posts
DCabTaco said:
Actually Tacoma coils only come in 4 different configurations:

4cyl Non-TRD
4cyl TRD
V6 Non-TRD
V6 TRD

The difference is that the Dcabs come with shorter shocks up front. Not shorter coils.
actually, there are 34 different part #s including 16 TRD and 22 non-TRD not including 4 for the minis. This is for '95.5-'04 Tacomas.

Now, what the differences other than numbers are...I haven't figured that out yet ;) The 9 pages of part #s that I got at least show the model, engine and tranny combinations.

Heck, now all we have to do is order one of each, take them to a spring shop and have each one rated...like that's gonna ever happen, LOL
 

·
Smoked Out!
Joined
·
1,869 Posts
hytenor said:
actually, there are 34 different part #s including 16 TRD and 22 non-TRD not including 4 for the minis. This is for '95.5-'04 Tacomas.

Now, what the differences other than numbers are...I haven't figured that out yet ;) The 9 pages of part #s that I got at least show the model, engine and tranny combinations.

Heck, now all we have to do is order one of each, take them to a spring shop and have each one rated...like that's gonna ever happen, LOL


Lol, I stand corrected on this one. If anyone knows ther stuff about tacomas it would be you. However, I gave up on trying to make sense of all the differences and just went with the aftermarket DR's. No matter what they go on, they always ride like a caddy, as someone else put it. I am sure the difference in the 34 different coils would be very very small compared to the difference of aftermarket coils and coilover set ups that are now available.

Directed to those that want to really know the difference between these:

But anyone willing to figure that out, by all means please let me know what you may come up with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
marktaylor99 said:
So has anyone put DCab TRD coils AND shocks on an Xcab? I am about to buy some but I want to make sure they will fit, and sit about the same hieght.
Thanks,
Mark
I'm with you Mark. Has anyone put Dcab springs on a regular or xcab Tacoma w/o using the Dcab strut? How much lift did the spring give?

Regarding the weight of 2,800 lb for my taco I had it weighed at a truck scale.

For anyone who has a regular or x cab 4x4 Tacoma with 2wd or 4wd TRD Tundra coils was the ride softer, the same or firmer?
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,846 Posts
flatlandtacoma said:
So, lemme guess. You have fiberglass fenders and hood, no bed, no spare, and a 5 gal fuel cell?
My Corolla weighs almost that much ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,057 Posts
I have a 00' 2.7 that I plan on putting a set of 03' d-cab 3.4 TRD spring/struts I've been shearching, any answers?
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top