TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

I'm going to starting on my taco soon hopefully. I already know the direction I'm going with it, but I'm on a tight budget right now and I was wondering what you guys think should be done first? Pretty much what is a must have in colorado? I was kind of thinking sliders and tires first and then work on saving for suspension and so forth.

I do a lot of camping and hiking and would love to take my truck back into remote areas. I'm on a tight budget right now but in the future I plan to do an ICON suspension front CO's and remote reservoir in the rear with AAL. ARB bumper up front as well.

Anyways just kinda trying to get a feel as to what I should do first to my truck any links and advice is appreciated as well as prices too.

Thanks for lookin guys.

Calder

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Imo save the money on the icons and go with the ome setup in the front and alcans or deavers in the back. You'll be much more happy with the setup.

Skid plates and good recovery points are a must. Keeping everything protected will make your truck more reliable offroad, and it'll be a good piece of mind. Don't skimp on a full size spare (a lot of people do). You can run up to a 255/85 on stock height and gears with very mild trimming. But I wouldn't plan for anything larger than that on stock gears.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
armor and tires are a good place to start. sliders, skids, and bumpers will help you a lot in the short and long term. Then tires, to get you to the places where the armor will come in handy. then as you learn to wheel the truck and decide how you want to build it (hardcore crawler, mild wheeler, just a camper, ect) you should start looking into larger tires and things like lockers. but dont let anyone try to convince you that you need to go big. you can get a lot of places around CO on 33s with good armor and a rear locker only.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Imo save the money on the icons and go with the ome setup in the front and alcans or deavers in the back. You'll be much more happy with the setup.

Skid plates and good recovery points are a must. Keeping everything protected will make your truck more reliable offroad, and it'll be a good piece of mind. Don't skimp on a full size spare (a lot of people do). You can run up to a 255/85 on stock height and gears with very mild trimming. But I wouldn't plan for anything larger than that on stock gears.

this.... adjustable coilovers are going to be a large waste of money unless you are wheeling varying types of terrain.... like desert prerunning to slow crawl..... and even if you do, its more about driving, an OME shock and sprink will be just fine

but sliders and bumpers will go a long ways.....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm looking at the Demello Sliders. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions between the bolt-ons vs the weld-ons? are bolt strong enough or is it safer to get the welded?

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Either or. Buy the bolt on and if it turns out you don't like them you can always weld them on, many people have done it that way. They both have their pros and cons. Welding will likely hold up better over time if you scab/fish plate the frame, and you use your sliders hard.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
if youre on a budget weld on is the way to go. you can get a set of 4Xinnovations or trailgear weld on sliders for a fraction of anything out of Demello's shop. He makes good products but at a price.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
My trail gear sliders have held up nicely to the abuse I've given them. I believe mine were able to be bolted on but I just got them welded. Likes avesfreak said, would definitely be cheaper to go that route rather than Demello.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Look at the material. .120 wall won't hold up. My 1/4 wall sliders have been well used and they're bent up pretty good.

·
20,355 Posts
I disagree. Mine are just 120 wall hrew and have held up well. Yess they are bent in a place or two but still doing the job.

Demmello shit is bling if you are on a budget. Trail queer is cheaper than buying the raw material as is 4x innovations.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Look at the material. .120 wall won't hold up. My 1/4 wall sliders have been well used and they're bent up pretty good.
.120 round will get beat to death, square .120 is fine.

You can make your own sliders/skids/protection too. Although now days with places like trail gear using cheap steel they can send them to you for less than what they can be made.

However, if you want them to hold up you can get steel locally and make your own. There are more than enough of us on here that would be willing to lend a hand as well as tools.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
My .120 wall 1.75" HREW sliders from Marlin have lasted 6 years so far. They are probably getting cut off this winter for some 3/16 or 1/4 wall square ones. Here's the last trip to BV Carnage :D

Nice little uphill rise in the slider :D

Not quite sure what I hit but it was directly in the front and out on the very edge. Ended up wrinkling the frame as well :rolleyes: Scab plates are 1/4" plate and the legs all have gussets.

·
7,735 Posts
^^^ that's what happened with my 2x2x.120 wall square sliders on my taco (tho not as bad) . The difference was I didn't have any guesseting. My frame was good, but the legs going from the sliders to the frame were slightly bent.

I abused those sliders slipping off rocks and such. They still work fine tho.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I stand corrected. If they lasted on Volcoms truck for 6 years most people would get a life time of use out of them, I know how he drives. :driving:

Although, Marlin's stuff is made with American steel IIRC.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts