TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with Downey AAL's? I've heard one good report and one bad report. Basicaly I'm back to zero. How much lift do they give once settled?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had a set, lost them both on the same trail somewhere when they broke in half.

Initially I had 2.5" of lift, but once they settled and my stock springs started to become s-shaped I was maybe getting 1" of lift.

BTW, you aren't getting many responses to this questions because you stuck it in the wrong folder.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where should I have posted and were did I go wrong. My first new thread on this board.

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
emminz said:
Anyone have experience with Downey AAL's? I've heard one good report and one bad report. Basicaly I'm back to zero. How much lift do they give once settled?
I got 1.5" from mine, and as best I can tell (haven't taken measurements lately; just going from eyeball measuring) it hasn't lost any lift. The only issue I have with mine is that ever since installing it, the leafs like to fan out whenever I go offroading (yes, I tightened all the bolts properly and re-checked 'em).

·
Registered
836 Posts
I installed the 2.5" Downey AAL just over a year ago and am still sitting right at 2.5 inches. I don't have any complaints as of yet, but I prolly don't wheel as hard as others around here. I'm perfectly happy with the ride using Bilstien 5100's.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Same here. I have had the 2.5 on mine for almost 2 years now and no sagging so far. I am using it and bilstein 5100's and am perfectly happy with the ride.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I was going to ask if the shocks make that much of a difference. I know that the Bilstiens are awsome and I can't wait to get mine. Could you always just simply change out the AAL later on if the Downey one comes with a kit? I'm buying Package D from Extreme Offroad. I can't wait!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Changing out the AAL shouldn't be any problem. Not sure how much difference there is between shocks because all I've used with the AAL is the 5100's, but I'm told that out of all the AAL's for the Taco the Downey has the best ride and I think most people will suggest the Bilstien shocks. Most people will also suggest staying away from Rancho 5000's, but the adjustable Rancho 9000's are okay.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hey man. How much lift are you running on your tacoma? As I have stated before I'm buying the Package D from Extreme Offroad which has everything that you have stated on your signature. What size tires are you running? I'm going to be running a 31x10.50 w/ 15x8 rims. I'm looking for 2 inches of lift and the truck to sit mostly level - if maybe slightly rear end high.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
I have the downey AAL with the Rancho 9000x's, and IMO, the ride is horrible. My rear is extremely stiff, and it bounces all over the place. I really don't know if it is due to the AAL or shocks or what, but I'm looking to purchase a set of Alcans and Bilsteins in the near future. As for the AAL settling, mine hasn't at all, and I've got an aftermarket rear bumper and a shell. So I guess that is a plus.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yeah I know an AAL makes it slightly more stiff then the factory or a shackle lift but I dont know if I want to move my exhaust. It's good to hear more positive feedback from the downey aal though and that it holds up well.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I'm at 2.5" all the way around. It sits ass-high, or roughly stock rake. I'm running 265/75/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO's on the stock alloys. I haven't had any rubbing since I lifted the truck. The ride is great with this setup compared to stock. If you don't already have the wheels and tires, I'd suggest waiting until a few weeks after you lift it to make your final decision. You may want bigger tires than you think to fill out those wheel-wells! I had to get tires first out of necessity, but I think that I would have chosen a 285/75/16 instead, if I'd have had the lift on first. I personally think my tires look a little on the small side right now, but to fit the next size up without any rubbing requires more mods.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How will my truck sit with a 2.5" CB spacer and a 2.5" Downey ALL? I know it sounds like both ends should go up exatly 2.5" but may times that is not the case. Like with tires, 33" doesn't necessarily mean that they are exactly 33" tall.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
emminz said:
How will my truck sit with a 2.5" CB spacer and a 2.5" Downey ALL? I know it sounds like both ends should go up exatly 2.5" but may times that is not the case. Like with tires, 33" doesn't necessarily mean that they are exactly 33" tall.
The exact same way it sits now, but 2.5" higher. :D

I have the exact same setup, and my AAL hasn't settle any at all. Therefore, you basically have the same stock stance.

·
Registered
142 Posts
emminz said:
Where should I have posted and were did I go wrong. My first new thread on this board.
You initially put it in the solid axle swap folders, someone moved it to the correct folder though.

For street pounding and mild trail use a Downey will do the trick. Once you start doing trails that put your suspension to use, you can soon expect them to break.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Tacoma4Life06 said:
Hey man. How much lift are you running on your tacoma? As I have stated before I'm buying the Package D from Extreme Offroad which has everything that you have stated on your signature. What size tires are you running? I'm going to be running a 31x10.50 w/ 15x8 rims. I'm looking for 2 inches of lift and the truck to sit mostly level - if maybe slightly rear end high.
If youre talking to me, I am running 3" front and 2.5 rear with 33x12.5r15 on MT Classic II's. But I am running a small 33 (procomp xterrain). I still had to trim and pinch weld, but they work fine now. Sure they rub sometimes offroad, but it doesnt bother me at all.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have a 2.5" Downey AAL on my 97'. Rode very stiff for the first 1,000 miles. Now that its broken in real good it rides better then stock. I have OME shocks. (N95?) I don't believe I have lost any lift height. If I have its very little. Only thing I didn't like is I didn't get any clamps. I called them and they sent me a pair of real cheap/thin clamps. I used them and suprisingly they are holding on.

Kurt

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have had the Downey's in the rear for almost two years and have no issues with them. I also swaped out my rear shocks for some $35.00 fabtech's and it is a little more stiffer in the rear but not bad.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
9 Participants
Ohio_Taco
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing