TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i fell out of the back of my truck at the boat ramp this morning, then rolled around on the ground in pain, and noticed the clamp on my leaf pack was just hanging there loose.

I looked a little closer and noticed my Downey 2.5" Add a Leaf is completely broken... the whole front half is gone from the u-bolts forward. I looked at the passenger side pack, and that one is broken too, but just not all the way through.

How in the hell did this happen? I installed them in 2003 and didnt seem to have any problems...

Bad thing is im in the middle of moving and i cant find my original paperwork to see if there is any kind of MFG warranties...

Anybody know about Downey warranties or has this happened to anybody? Im gonna call them after the holiday.... perfect timing, I have to drive all the way across Texas on Thursday... WOO HOO

JUSTIN
MONT BELVIEU, TEXAS

·
Registered
270 Posts
from what I've read on this forum Downey isn't really known for building quality products, sorry to hear you found out the hard way

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
whats bad is 4 years ago, nobody on here could say enough about how great their products were... haha... im just wondering if its something that I did on the install... it just doesnt seem normal, and actually, kinda dangerous.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
Single AAL's have been known to break after time.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
How in the hell did this happen? I installed them in 2003 and didnt seem to have any problems...Bad thing is im in the middle of moving and i cant find my original paperwork to see if there is any kind of MFG warranties...

Anybody know about Downey warranties or has this happened to anybody? Im gonna call them after the holiday.... perfect timing, I have to drive all the way across Texas on Thursday... WOO HOOJUSTIN

Justin, consider yourself part of the Downey's Downers, an elite 4 wheeling club within TTORA. Don't bother to call Downey about these. First and foremost, they have NO WARRANTIES. They won't cover anything once it is installed. And second, if they were to cover a bad leaf, it would have to be within one year. The amazing part is that it took 4 years to destroy those AAL. I am astonished. If your leaf pack is still good( I doubt it at this point) then go with a Deaver 3 leaf add on pack. But really, once the leaf pack has had a single AAL on it, it has tweaked the original leafs, so toss them for safety's sake. Buy some Deaver or Alcan 7,8,9 leaf pack, and be happy. Call Demello on Monday, not Downey. Order new leafs, and be good to go. Unless you like getting laughed at... then, by all means, call Downey.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
AAL's usually have a limited life span. They have also been known to break the original leaf pack after a few years of use. The longer ones or the multi leaf AAL's are the better choice.

·
Registered
101 Posts
:doh: downey = :2cents:

:worthless

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
damn... how much do u think thats gonna run me?? Ive pretty much takin my truck out of my budget in the last 2 years... tryin to get out of debt...

STUPID EX's... they are never happy, until you arent... haha

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
AAL's usually have a limited life span. They have also been known to break the original leaf pack after a few years of use. The longer ones or the multi leaf AAL's are the better choice.
Or leaf pack rebuild. Mine uses 2 stock leafs cut up and added to the pack. Flexy and a bit stiffer so it holds the boat better.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
damn... how much do u think thats gonna run me?? Ive pretty much takin my truck out of my budget in the last 2 years... tryin to get out of debt...

Start looking in the classified ads, look for deavers or stock replacement packs. Also, I would still call Demello on Tues. Jason can give you as good a deal as you will ever get on them. I am not sure of the price, so I can't say. Re-using the stockers is not really a safe option anymore. And if you keep the stock leaf pack, and it breaks after the stress of the AAL, it will cost you more in body damage to the bed than the new leafs will.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Or leaf pack rebuild. Mine uses 2 stock leafs cut up and added to the pack. Flexy and a bit stiffer so it holds the boat better.
X2 good advice. If he decides on a new leaf pack, Dakars are cheaper than the Deavers also.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts

That's her job, making you miserable:doh: A Dakar leaf pack will run you around $475 with bushings and u-bolts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts