TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting some Downey shackles along with the OME N85 shocks in the rear to lift my truck. I am wondering a few things about the shackles. First what is the major difference between the HD shackles and the Rubicons. I am someone who uses the truck mostly on a lot of back/ really bumpy roads and moderate wheeling (no rock climbing) Also, do shackles retain the stock ride? Wondering about durability and how they effect the rest of the truck. And finally . . . I know tail pipe modification is involved and am wondering if that is a pain or just a simple adjustment. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
1. The ride stays the same with shackles.2. The hd are more for street/desert driving; not as much side/side flex. The rubicon shackles flex a bit more, more for rock crawling.3. Durability is an unknown. Some trucks wear out the leaf packs MUCH faster, due to the added articulation, and the leaf pack spreading further. Some are okay. 4. There is no problem with an exhaust that a sawzall cannot fix, pronto!

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
i have downey HD shackles and love the extra flex. my leafsprings are toast, but i'm pretty sure it was mainly caused by axle wrap from the S/C. cutting the tailpipe off is no problem, if you dont have access to a sawzall a hacksaw would work just fine

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How long did it take for your leaf springs to wear out? This would be a temporary lift as I would be installing a new OME leaf set not long after. (1-1.5yrs.) Its just a matter of not being able to afford the $360 leaf springs right now.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
That is entirely dependant on your driving and load carrying. More workout means more wear out.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
mine were already S shaped from the supercharger when i put the shackles on, and i've had a lot of weight in my bed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts