TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.... I know, I know... deavers or alcans - TTORAnians love deavers and alcans, and I believe, for very good reasons too... build quality and performance are hard to beat.

I'm looking into Downey leaf packs because they offer a pack that would give me slightly over 4 inches of lift at a very decent price (about $220). This would match what I have going on in the front perfectly, AND I wouldn't have to break the bank doing it.

I'm wondering if any members who have tried this product could post up some objective feedback - how much would they sag? load carrying capacity? on road / off road handling and performance?

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
ainokea said:
.... I know, I know... deavers or alcans - TTORAnians love deavers and alcans, and I believe, for very good reasons too... build quality and performance are hard to beat.

I'm looking into Downey leaf packs because they offer a pack that would give me slightly over 4 inches of lift at a very decent price (about $220). This would match what I have going on in the front perfectly, AND I wouldn't have to break the bank doing it.

I'm wondering if any members who have tried this product could post up some objective feedback - how much would they sag? load carrying capacity? on road / off road handling and performance?

thanks in advance!
I had a very good friend back in Texas run the Downey springs and shackles on his double cab. within a year and half (or so) he had snapped passenger side leaf springs.

I don't know if it was an isolated case or not (Ihaven't heard anyone else snapping leafs, but as you said not many here run downeys)

Oh and I am as objective as anyone else. I do not run neither Alcans or Deavers, just chevy's on my rear with All pro leafs on the front!

·
Registered
190 Posts
when i was recently looking for some rear leafs for my 88 4r i asked around about the downey springs and got some mixed results. i looked into some OME springs, they were the same price as the Downeys and i feel the quality is prob better too.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i plan on e-mailing chris on info about the ome packs. as i understand it, they'll yield about 2 1/2 " of lift on a reg cab truck after they settle? (somebody correct me if i'm wrong).... i could slap a shackle on there to give me the 4" i'm looking for.

i hope they can do better on the shipping price. they shipping on the downey packs are almost as much as the packs themselves!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bear said:
I had a very good friend back in Texas run the Downey springs and shackles on his double cab. within a year and half (or so) he had snapped passenger side leaf springs.

I don't know if it was an isolated case or not (Ihaven't heard anyone else snapping leafs, but as you said not many here run downeys)

Oh and I am as objective as anyone else. I do not run neither Alcans or Deavers, just chevy's on my rear with All pro leafs on the front!

... thanks for the 'heads-up' about the broken leaf. i tried to search, but found little info on these packs. i appreciate the input.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
ainokea said:

thanks in advance!
unless they've come out with something new those pks are only for the gen1 Tacomas, '95.5-97
and, they have a lousy track record here.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
strider said:
They came out with leaf packs for the '98-'04 models pretty recently.
thanks,

'bout time they did ...wonder if they're any better than the old ones

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hytenor said:
thanks,

'bout time they did ...wonder if they're any better than the old ones
i don't know of anybody who put them on their truck... i hope someone who's got'um will chime in to give us the 411.

they are full 4 leaf packs that yield 4.5 inches of lift. according to Downey, you can remove the 4th leaf for a 3 leaf pack that gives about 2.5 inches of lift. they are manufactured to use the stock overload spring, and ship with bushings and a longer brake line... you re-use the stock u-bolts.

i'm awfully tempted, but i'll be paying a visit to a local 4wd shop to see what they can offer me first. (as mentioned before, shipping out to the big island will run me about $180... if i can get something that suits my needs here in the islands, i could end up saving a bundle.)

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
i just a set of all-pro 3" leafs under my truck ('03 trd extended cab) i think alcans make them still

not impressed with them

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
ainokea said:
i don't know of anybody who put them on their truck... i hope someone who's got'um will chime in to give us the 411.

they are full 4 leaf packs that yield 4.5 inches of lift. according to Downey, you can remove the 4th leaf for a 3 leaf pack that gives about 2.5 inches of lift. they are manufactured to use the stock overload spring, and ship with bushings and a longer brake line... you re-use the stock u-bolts.

i'm awfully tempted, but i'll be paying a visit to a local 4wd shop to see what they can offer me first. (as mentioned before, shipping out to the big island will run me about $180... if i can get something that suits my needs here in the islands, i could end up saving a bundle.)
geeze, just for the price of freight you should be able to find a local spring shop that can rebuild your OE pk with an added leaf of the same material and arch them for 3" (max for the OE pks) and then add 1.5" shackles for another $60

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
BOVADS said:
i just a set of all-pro 3" leafs under my truck ('03 trd extended cab) i think alcans make them still

not impressed with them
no, Alcan does not make AP's springs, they are made in San Leandro, CA.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hytenor said:
geeze, just for the price of freight you should be able to find a local spring shop that can rebuild your OE pk with an added leaf of the same material and arch them for 3" (max for the OE pks) and then add 1.5" shackles for another $60
no doubt. there is a really good spring shop here, i've asked him to rebuild my packs on my trusty old isuzu pick up years back - he even made for me new u-bolts. not sure if it was just the particular truck, but it made my ride really stiff.

shipping sucks eggs when you live on a rock in the middle of the ocean.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BOVADS said:

not impressed with them
thanks for the input. i considered these as well, but from what i understand, they are really flexy but don't hold weight too well. when my taco does see any offroad, it's quite often loaded with a whole bunch of coolers, water, camping and fishing equipment and such... what turned me on to the downeys is that it was engineered to be used in conjunction with my stock overloads... it was my hope that the ride would still be pretty civil on the road, and be pretty good off road... a happy medium between the two.

i also looked into NWOR but those springs are WAY too HD for me.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
ainokea said:
thanks for the input. i considered these as well, but from what i understand, they are really flexy but don't hold weight too well. when my taco does see any offroad, it's quite often loaded with a whole bunch of coolers, water, camping and fishing equipment and such... what turned me on to the downeys is that it was engineered to be used in conjunction with my stock overloads... it was my hope that the ride would still be pretty civil on the road, and be pretty good off road... a happy medium between the two.

i also looked into NWOR but those springs are WAY too HD for me.
the NWOR HD springs might do it for you. They give 2.5-3" of lift (despite what those morons have been saying in their cataloge all these years) and will handle pretty much whatever you thow in the bed. you can soften the ride by going with a ligher valved rear shock...huge difference in ride between the KYBs I had at first and the Bilstein 170/60 5150s I have now. standard Bils are 255/70, about what the KYBs were.

my truck rides better than my wife's RAV4 ;)

But...I still think you can get this done more cheaply locally and then just get some decent shocks.
(and you won't have to deal with the dorks at nwor :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
mahalo for the input. hopefully, i'll be able to put a call into the spring shop today.

softer valved shocks won't be a problem for me - it's just a few clicks on the mx-6's and we're done. this is the other reason why i'm sorta in a hurry to 86 the blocks... i've dented my old shocks pretty good with all that leveraging force the blocks put on the suspension while articulating. i don't want to do that to my new (and a bit more expensive) equipment. i know some friends who had NWOR springs on their hi-lux model trucks (did i use the term correctly? 89-94 body style) they could carry elephants in their beds and not have to worry about it too much. the feedback i got was it was a bit stiff - i've only got a little regular cab 4banger... it's nice to weigh the options now though.

...being a dork myself, i know how frustrating it is to deal with'um, especially over the phone....

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
ainokea said:
mahalo for the input. hopefully, i'll be able to put a call into the spring shop today.

softer valved shocks won't be a problem for me - it's just a few clicks on the mx-6's and we're done. this is the other reason why i'm sorta in a hurry to 86 the blocks... i've dented my old shocks pretty good with all that leveraging force the blocks put on the suspension while articulating. i don't want to do that to my new (and a bit more expensive) equipment. i know some friends who had NWOR springs on their hi-lux model trucks (did i use the term correctly? 89-94 body style) they could carry elephants in their beds and not have to worry about it too much. the feedback i got was it was a bit stiff - i've only got a little regular cab 4banger... it's nice to weigh the options now though.

...being a dork myself, i know how frustrating it is to deal with'um, especially over the phone....
cheap trick for keeping your shocks from getting dented by the springs:
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/minutemods/tacoma_shocks/
http://bajataco.com/spacermod.html

this is actually pretty much mandatory when lifting the rear that includes either very flexy springs or lift shackles ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
6 Participants
ainokea
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing