TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
NEVER SERIOUS
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed the last few years they are closing forever one after the other around here. anybody else noticing that? I think their days may be numbered. Lots of guys my age got their first piece of ass, and many more at the drive in.:)

·
NEVER SERIOUS
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are lucky to still have them. The last one in the northern Virginia area closed in 1987.
There is one local one left here and its struggling. I guess the computer generation doesn't like smoking, watching movies and fcking in a vehicle.... their just geeks not freaks.;):cool::)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Same here. We have one left and its awsome, they even allow dogs. It was neat when it started to pour rain and I flipped the soft-topper over head and enjoyed while most everyone else bailled.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
We have a drive in near us.

http://www.theshowboatdrivein.com/

It's active and seems to be doing fine.

We go a couple times a year and make a regular tailgate party out of it. The dog even goes with us.

This place is located out in the country, away from any city bullshit.

It's a regular crowd of family people. They are polite, quiet, keep a close eye on their kids, and nothing bad has happened while I was there. I'll go again this summer I'm sure. It's always fun

I think there's two things that are killing the drive in movie.

First, the modern automobile.

The drive in was popular in the '50s and '60s. At that time, cars had bench seats and lots of room in them. People could stretch out and be comfortable, and there was room to move around a little (If you catch my drift).

Think about how much fun a double feature would be in a Honda Civic. Three or four hours? Not me.

Pickups are still suitable.

The second thing that killed the drive in is Urban Blight.

Taking the wife and kids to a place where the fucking thugs are walking around in little gangs, making trouble and daring anybody to do something about it is just not something I want to do.

In the late '70s, that's what the drive in was like. The neighborhoods around the theater had long ago gone to hell and the movie was just another place white people probably shouldn't go after dark.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Near me,there are 2 still up and running... one in kings mtn Nc and one in Belmont Nc. Heard something about them having to do some big change related to the way they show the movies. Said it was very expensive and didn't know if they were going to be able to afford it. Hope they can because I definitely enjoy going and laying out in the bed of my truck watching a double showing with my girlfriend.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Yeah we all loved our local passion pits. They were great for first dates. It's really sad to see them go.

I have noticed the last few years they are closing forever one after the other around here. anybody else noticing that? I think their days may be numbered. Lots of guys my age got their first piece of ass, and many more at the drive in.:)

·
NEVER SERIOUS
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah we all loved our local passion pits. They were great for first dates. It's really sad to see them go.

I have heard these were the days.......

Original Classic Car Owner

Packard on display. She stood and talked to all of us who

came up to her. What a

pleasant and peppy lady! Take notice in the video that she

lays a shop rag on

the running board to step onto when she gets in and out of

the car. After she is

in the car, she leans all the way down to the running board

to get the rag. She

is in great physical shape for her age. Click on the

internet address below to

view this beautiful car and listen to this ageless

lady.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/qxCpK1W_Gjw?feature=player_embedded

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Heard something about them having to do some big change related to the way they show the movies. Said it was very expensive and didn't know if they were going to be able to afford it.
Yes.

Back in the day, drive ins (All Theaters, actually) used "Movie Projectors".

These used a plastic film strip that held a series of small pictures. These pictures were mechanically placed in front of a lens and projected one at a time, giving the illusion of "Moving Pictures".

That was how it was done from the 1920s until computers took over.

Now, movies are digitally recorded, and projectors go straight from digital to display much like your Blue Ray player does at home.

So, if the drive-in wants to keep running they need to install new digital projectors. Yes, that's not cheap. For a small business that barely keeps it's head above the water it might be too much.

The Showboat Drive In where we go has the old school movie projectors on display in the snack bar. Cool. You can walk right up to them and look them over.

I'm not sure if the movie folks are still making "Film" movies at all, but if they do it's not every movie they make and I bet it cost a shitload more to rent them. If they do continue to make them, it's not going to last forever.

The old school "Film" movie is a dinosaur like the eight track tape.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Don't know about that but I had a 55 pontiac that was great at the drive in because it had bench seats and a big back seat.

Later on I got a 66 goat that wasn't so great at the drive in because it had a tiny little back seat (useless really unless you were a contortionist), two doors and bucket seats with a console. I had to resort to carrying a blanket around in the trunk and abandoned the drive in for the lovers lanes out in the woods.
The money I saved on the drive in went to buy gas at about 20 cents a gallon for premium or what they called high test back then.

I have heard these were the days.......

Original Classic Car Owner

Packard on display. She stood and talked to all of us who

came up to her. What a

pleasant and peppy lady! Take notice in the video that she

lays a shop rag on

the running board to step onto when she gets in and out of

the car. After she is

in the car, she leans all the way down to the running board

to get the rag. She

is in great physical shape for her age. Click on the

internet address below to

view this beautiful car and listen to this ageless

lady.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/qxCpK1W_Gjw?feature=player_embedded

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
^Ha. My dad calls it high test. Also calls Chevron the Standard station.

·
NEVER SERIOUS
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't know about that but I had a 55 pontiac that was great at the drive in because it had bench seats and a big back seat.

Later on I got a 66 goat that wasn't so great at the drive in because it had a tiny little back seat (useless really unless you were a contortionist), two doors and bucket seats with a console. I had to resort to carrying a blanket around in the trunk and abandoned the drive in for the lovers lanes out in the woods.
The money I saved on the drive in went to buy gas at about 20 cents a gallon for premium or what they called high test back then.
66 goat *drool*, you were a pimp back in the day.:cool:

·
NEVER SERIOUS
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
First time i'm going to disagree with you ecar... there are lots of drive in's in southern ontario! Polson Pier / the Docks downtown, as well as the one in oakville at Winston Churchill / 403. Up north.. there are tonnes! http://www.thestarlite.ca/driveinlist.php
Your drive in rich living in the city. I live in cottage country. When I moved here 26 years ago there were 3 drive ins. Now there is one left and its hurting.
When I live d in T O there was a drive in on Kennedy road around eglington, there was another one at Victoria park and steeles and several others within city limits that are all gone now. The god damn leafs better pull up their socks.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
It wasn't old then, it was brand new. I lucked out and got a good one but later on Pontiac made up for it and sold me a real lemon 78 Grand Prix. That car was a total POS from the get go. At no time during my ownership did every thing work at the same time. Even the radio was a complete POS. I've never bought another GM since, or anything else produced in Detroit. IMHO GM simply wasn't worth saving. They went broke for some very good reasons and should have been allowed to die the death they all deserved.

Yeah no kidding, I would love to have an old GTO!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts