TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I got finished doing the 4th oil change on my truck today. Anyways, I was underneath the truck, grabbed the drive shaft ( the front piece that's connected to the transfer case), and realized it has about 1/8" to 3/16" of play in it. When I rotated the drive shaft, I could hear some metal to metal clunking coming from the transfer case area. The rear piece of the drive shaft also had play in it. The wheels were chocked and 6spd placed in neutral. Is this normal? Whenever I cut off the engine, there's a slight rattling sound that appears to be coming from the transfer case area. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Hu.. I know that's not good for a one piece drive shaft. You have a 2 piece shaft right?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, newer Tacoma=2-piece drive shaft! Not sure if this play is normal though,

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Yeah, newer Tacoma=2-piece drive shaft! Not sure if this play is normal though,
Was the play up and down or rotational?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The play is rotational. It's not very much, but it's enough to make a clunking sound in the transmission. Does yours do this too. I was just wondering whether I should take it into the dealership for further inspection?

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
You should have some play in the carrier bearing, about what you described. That is located in the middle of the two pieces. The bearing floats in the rubber ring. If you are getting play in the front driveline at the output shaft of the xfercase you have a bigger problem. The other thing to try is to drain the gear oil out and look for metal shavings. If something did malfunction you will see the parts in the oil. Other than that I would take it to the stealership if its still under warranty and have them look at it.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
The play is rotational. It's not very much, but it's enough to make a clunking sound in the transmission. Does yours do this too. I was just wondering whether I should take it into the dealership for further inspection?
Mine doesn't do that, but I am running a 1 piece shaft. So, when you rotate the shaft it goes clunk and when you rotate it back it goes clunk again? That sounds like a u-joint issue. Can you see the u-joint cross moving in relationship to the cups?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts