TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck has been making a horrendous grinding when I get on it from a stop, if I take off slowly it is ok. It sounds like a metal on metal grinding and I thought it was my rear end but I figured out that my truck has bad axle wrap and it is forcing my driveline to hit the carrier bearing housing. I had never had problems with it until last weekend in Pismo. I lubed up all the fittings on the driveshaft and took the slip yoke apart and greased it and it is still hitting. Anyone have similar experiences that can shed some light?

·
Registered
164 Posts
i had the same problem on mine i have a 98 ext cab 4x4 6" sus and 35's and i replaced it and it still does it. please if n e one has a solution please help

·
Registered
50 Posts
deltaboarder said:
My truck has been making a horrendous grinding when I get on it from a stop, if I take off slowly it is ok. It sounds like a metal on metal grinding and I thought it was my rear end but I figured out that my truck has bad axle wrap and it is forcing my driveline to hit the carrier bearing housing. I had never had problems with it until last weekend in Pismo. I lubed up all the fittings on the driveshaft and took the slip yoke apart and greased it and it is still hitting. Anyone have similar experiences that can shed some light?

i had this problem the way to tell if the carrier bearing is bad put the rear of the truck on jack stands and go under neith and shake the drive shaft and turn it manually to here where its coming from if you dont find it that way leave the truck on jack stands and start the truck and slowly push on the gas pedal and see if you hera the sound again. i could never pipoint where the sound was coming from on mine i just lubed the u joints and it it grinded for a day and havent heard it snes and its been 6 months now.

still want to diagnose the problem when it happens again

·
Registered
78 Posts
grinding

I have the same awful grinding when I gear down. It came and went but now its starting to grind and scrape when I take off. Gonna put her up on stands tommorow and take the driveshaft apart.

·
Registered
271 Posts
welcome to pismo, it loves to eat carrier bearings. go under your truck and see if your carrier bearing has a lot of slop in it (grab the driveline and move it around). if its fairly easy to move, replace it. it shouldnt have much (if any) slop. might not hurt to just replace it regardless if you never have before.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts