TTORA Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a rattle and squeaking noise coming from what sounded like my driveshaft. It was loudest under acceleration and consistent speed. If I pushed in the clutch, it was much quieter even though the truck was still rolling. I replaced the carrier bearing this weekend and the squeaks went away. I had two minutes to feel good about myself when I opened the sliding rear window and heard this noise that I can only describe as a tinny rattle that sounds like a loose shield on farm machinery. Again, it's only under acceleration and consistent speed. If I push in the clutch, the noise disappears. The u-joints all felt solid when I replaced the bearing this weekend. I lifted the truck two months ago and only noticed the noises recently. From what I have read on other posts, this noise could be caused by driveshaft vibration due to the lift. The truck has 2.5" lift via AAL. It was not shimmmed. Would 3 degree shims cure this or does someone out there have other experiences/opinions.

Thanks, Ryan

·
Registered
168 Posts
I dont know what it is but you could also drop your carrier bearing with some longer bolts and spacers or washers to see if it would help any before tearing into the rear.
I dont think its enough to worry about if you can only hear it when the rear window is open. I would just keep a close EYE and EAR on your u joints. My trucks makes some squeaks and rattles but nothing that bothers me...as long as its not falling apart.

·
Registered
216 Posts
red0302 said:
I had a rattle and squeaking noise coming from what sounded like my driveshaft. It was loudest under acceleration and consistent speed. If I pushed in the clutch, it was much quieter even though the truck was still rolling. I replaced the carrier bearing this weekend and the squeaks went away. I had two minutes to feel good about myself when I opened the sliding rear window and heard this noise that I can only describe as a tinny rattle that sounds like a loose shield on farm machinery. Again, it's only under acceleration and consistent speed. If I push in the clutch, the noise disappears. The u-joints all felt solid when I replaced the bearing this weekend. I lifted the truck two months ago and only noticed the noises recently. From what I have read on other posts, this noise could be caused by driveshaft vibration due to the lift. The truck has 2.5" lift via AAL. It was not shimmmed. Would 3 degree shims cure this or does someone out there have other experiences/opinions.

Thanks, Ryan
I hate to be a ballbuster, but I had a noise like that on my 2.7L regular cab. It was a crack in the exhaust manifold. If you have a 3.4L, then I'm not sure if it would still be an exhaust manifold issue, but it's something worth checking.

·
Registered
530 Posts
red0302 said:

Thanks, Ryan

You say If I push in the clutch, the noise disappears.The noise may be your throw out bearing.Just a thought.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts