TTORA Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys…

I was hoping some of you could help me understand what I need to do to remove my driveline vibes while sitting at a light and when accelerating… I think its between 25-30 mph I get a slight vibration. I’m also worried about damaging my carrier bearing by the recent post I read on this subject. I have a FT 6” lift with Custom Leaf packs and Downy Shackles, so I figure I’m about 7” in the rear higher than stock.

I know many have said that the pinion angle and the carrier bearing cause driveline vibes since they are out of alignment. Which in that case you need to either use washers on the carrier bearing or go the more correct method and shim your axle to correct the angles.

Does anyone know what the correct method is to measuring the correct pinion angle? I have looked at Roger Browns site, which contains tons of info, but I’m still a bit confused. Can anyone make it a bit easier to understand what I exactly need to do to come up with the correct # of degrees to shim?

Is it safe to say that you basically need the same degrees of shim as the amount of lift, so in my case I have 7” of lift so I need about 7 degrees of shim? I think I read that somewhere but not sure.

Thanks guys…
JRunner01

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
The foolproof way to get the angle you want is to get it off another stock taco . I try to remember to get the original angles, heights and lengths of my stuff before I tinker with it, this way, I have a reference. Since you know what you are looking for, I would hunt down a donor tacoma, and get the angles you desire from it.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
JRunner01 said:
Hi guys…

I was hoping some of you could help me understand what I need to do to remove my driveline vibes while sitting at a light and when accelerating… I think its between 25-30 mph I get a slight vibration. I’m also worried about damaging my carrier bearing by the recent post I read on this subject. I have a FT 6” lift with Custom Leaf packs and Downy Shackles, so I figure I’m about 7” in the rear higher than stock.

I know many have said that the pinion angle and the carrier bearing cause driveline vibes since they are out of alignment. Which in that case you need to either use washers on the carrier bearing or go the more correct method and shim your axle to correct the angles.

Does anyone know what the correct method is to measuring the correct pinion angle? I have looked at Roger Browns site, which contains tons of info, but I’m still a bit confused. Can anyone make it a bit easier to understand what I exactly need to do to come up with the correct # of degrees to shim?

Is it safe to say that you basically need the same degrees of shim as the amount of lift, so in my case I have 7” of lift so I need about 7 degrees of shim? I think I read that somewhere but not sure.

Thanks guys…
JRunner01
From what you wrote, I assume you have a two piece rear driveshaft? If so, you have a u-joint at the rear pinion, and a cv joint in the middle of the two driveshafts.

What you want to do is get your pinion pointed directly at the cv joint. You can lower the cv joint a little with spacers, but the best way is to weld some shims to your spring pads to get the angles right.

Later,
....Mike

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
rojodiablo said:
The foolproof way to get the angle you want is to get it off another stock taco . I try to remember to get the original angles, heights and lengths of my stuff before I tinker with it, this way, I have a reference. Since you know what you are looking for, I would hunt down a donor tacoma, and get the angles you desire from it.
Stock measurements don't really mean anything unless you notice that in the stock configuration the rear pinion points directly at the cv joint.

Later,
....Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts