TTORA Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.
Have a 2003 V6 DBLCAB 4X4 TRD with just over 200K Miles on it that has developed a buzz/rumble you can hear and feel when under power. It starts around 60MPH and is the worst is around 65-70ish. It is very smooth below 55mph and above 75mph.
If I lift off the accelerator is coasts just fine with no rumble or vibes.
I looked underneath and see a hanger bearing. I tried yanking the driveshaft side to side and didn't feel anything I'd call excessive play.
Anyone know where to point me? Or where I should check first?
Thanks!

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,565 Posts
Do you grease your u-joints regularly? If not, you might have one going out or needs to be greased. I'd start there.

·
Registered
'01 TRD Taco w/ARB and 2" Cornfed; '80 Toy Pickup w/20r, crawler, 36" Swampers, tube bed, etc, etc..
5 Posts
You might try jacking the rear end up then check the u-joints. Jacking it up will take any load off of the rear end.

A buddy of mine was complaining about the same thing about 7 years ago. I did the customary check for any slop in the rear u-joint and couldn't find any...but he had the parts already and I didn't want him to have spent the money and driven all the way to my place (an hour one way) for nothing. As soon as we got the rear end in the air, I could get a ton of slop. There were no bearings of any kind left.

Sunday before last I was driving the same truck home (I'd just bought it from my buddy) and it was vibing pretty good between 55 and 60. Crawled under the truck last Thursday and found slop in the same u-joint. Sure enough, it was shot again (all of the bearings on the driveshaft-side of the joint were missing).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I was stupid and didn’t grease them often enough. Last time was 80K ago. :whistle:

The rearmost U-Joint was spent.

Pulled the shaft and brought it to a drive shaft specialty shop. They rebuilt the shaft with all new joints and rebalanced it. It’s all good now.

Sorry for the slow reply, I am in the middle of relocating to Missouri from New York and the truck acted up in Ohio

1 - 4 of 4 Posts