TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got a 2004 Tacoma, 2 Wheel (xtra cab with center support) but from what the manual shows the 4x4s are the same with the re-torquing the driveline. So i'm guessing on all the 95 - 04's at least this is something you have to do as maintiance. I checked the ones I knew about but I guess there one I missed.

Apparently there are 4 nuts at the center support and the axle that have to be re-torqued? I checked these at 30,000 and they were tight as can be, and they were marked with paint from the factory and haven't moved.

Anyway, the driveline was making some noise (its at 41,000 now) and I took it in because its still got a powertrain warranty. They charged me $50 for diagnostics and said it was a loose nut. I knew everything was tight and they won't tell me which one it was.

I was kind of upset because its under the powertrain warranty and they didn't have to road test it. It made the clinking noise all the time, if you pushed on the tailgate with it in gear and rocked the truck it would do it. Or you just had to let the clutch out just a hair and it would put a load on the driveline.

I was reading the FSM posted here and in addition to the yokes with 4 bolts and nuts. There is big nut that requires 130+ ft/lbs of torque. I'm thinking that is what came loose. What they billed me for was "front driveline retaining nut is loose".

Anyway, I thought I got everything when I did the 30,000 service but there must have been another nut that needed to be tightned.

Hopefully it'll save someone else some trouble, but i'd like to know if there is something else that has to be tightned? I know I got ripped off paying $50 at the dealer but I went in thinking it'd be under warranty the driveline is listed under non-internaly lubricated, but covered components under the powertrain warranty.

But the maintiance manual does say to check chasis bolts which pretty much lets the dealers off the hook. $50 is pretty steep for 1 nut but thats what they get ya for.

Anyone else have this happen? Or re-torque theres because i'd like to know which one I missed.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
That's why they're called stealerships. ;)

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
So did whatever they did actually fix the problem?
Only thing I can think of for a retaining bolt would be the flange/output shaft on the tranny? I can't imagine that being loose as its staked, but I don't know.
Would kind of make sense for the clunk... but in your case the pinion nut in the third would seem more likely if the crush sleeve was crushed a little would give a little extra clunk. If thats the case, tightening that nut more than just a little bit could be less than a good thing.

I use locktight now on all my driveshaft bolts- I've had problems with them loosening up over time since I broke them loose the first time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So did whatever they did actually fix the problem?
Only thing I can think of for a retaining bolt would be the flange/output shaft on the tranny? I can't imagine that being loose as its staked, but I don't know.
Would kind of make sense for the clunk... but in your case the pinion nut in the third would seem more likely if the crush sleeve was crushed a little would give a little extra clunk. If thats the case, tightening that nut more than just a little bit could be less than a good thing.

I use locktight now on all my driveshaft bolts- I've had problems with them loosening up over time since I broke them loose the first time.
Yeah they tightened it up and it fixed it. They said a loose nut (just one) on the front drive line, but not multiple like it would be on the center support. Before I took it in I crawled under it and had someone push on the tailgate of the truck.

I could tell that the front drive line was making the pinging noise. There sure wasn't any loose bolts where it bolts to the center support which is what i thought at first.

It must be the one at the trans, because it sounded like it was coming right from the there but I suspected a u-joint and just took it in thinking it was under warranty.

I'll start putting some lock tight on them now, because this is a easily driven 2 wheel and it came loose pretty quick.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts