TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my 99 tacoma, the driver side door lock doesn't work from outside the truck. If I stick the key in it, it feels like there is something blocking it from going in, but if i wiggle it a bit it will go in but will not turn the lock. However, the passenger side lock works fine. I have power locks. Does anyone know what the most likely culprit would be?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
I have the same problem. The key goes in it but the door doesn't want to unlock, feels like something is stopping it. Then, out no where, it works and then goes back to not working. I have a 95 with power locks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
822 Posts
i have the same prob with my 96, its because the tumblers in the lock cylinder wear out due to soft metal. it happens on most imports after about 10 years. hell my fuel door lock is the same way. metals from over seas are loaded with alloys because its not as common as it is here in the states.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,712 Posts
yeah mine is a little sticky and it really effects my 4 wheel drive:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
646 Posts
If the key is worn it will cause it. The problem I had with mine is that one of the tumblers broke and wouldnt allow it to turn so I tore it apart and took out the broken one. Now it works fine
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
My '98 has the same problem and it's almost to the point where I'm getting locked out of my truck. I've been looking for new lock sets because both doors, gas door, and the ignition all have problems. I haven't called a dealership yet but does anyone know where to get a full set with matching keys?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Have you guys tried pb blaster? It puts wd40 to shame. I have to spray it in my locks every few months to keep it working fine (2000, manual locks).
Might be something to try.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
That stuff is bad to the bone! I'll run out there and squirt some in my locks and see if it does anything...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,153 Posts
Don't ever put wet lube on locks. All that does is attact more dust. It's only a bandaid. Buy a tube of dry graphite lock lube and put a couple of squirts in each cylinder. It might help to squirt some on the key and stick it in a couple of times. You can buy the lube at any hardware store, usually near the key making machine. I bet this will cure 90% of sticky lock problems. The other 10% can be cured by getting a fresh key cut at the dealership from the VIN if you don't have a fresh spare (not a copy of a worn out key).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
K I went down to the dealership and had them make me a key with the VIN and it solved my problem. I compared the keys and could see how mangled my old key was.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top