TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I have a 2001 Double-Cab Tacoma.

The driver's side power window has started acting up recently. It goes down fine, at a normal rate. When I try to make it go up immediately, it won't go up.

If I wait a minute or so, I can try again and it will go up an inch or two, then it stops.

If I wait a minute again, I can try again and it will again go up an inch or two, then it stops again.

The longer I wait before trying to make it go up, the more it goes up.

I've Googled this and found several posts with this same issue, but no specific answers. Does someone here know exactly what's causing this and how to fix it?
Is it a fuse?
Is it the motor?
Is it the regulator?
Is it the switch?

All the other windows -- passenger and rear -- work just fine from the driver-side control panel. Only the driver's side window is acting this way.

Thanks,

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Hey guys,

The driver's side power window has started acting up recently. It goes down fine, at a normal rate. When I try to make it go up immediately, it won't go up.

If I wait a minute or so, I can try again and it will go up an inch or two, then it stops.

If I wait a minute again, I can try again and it will again go up an inch or two, then it stops again.

I've Googled this and found several posts with this same issue, but no specific answers. Does someone here know exactly what's causing this and how to fix it?
Is it a fuse?
Is it the motor?
Is it the regulator?
Is it the switch?

All the other windows -- passenger and rear -- work just fine from the driver-side control panel. Only the driver's side window is acting this way.

Thanks,
the joints and the slides may need to be re-lubed. you'll have to pull the inner door panel off to check/lube it. If the motor assembly, I have one :p

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I'm pretty sure the motor has a temperature sensitive circuit breaker inside.

It shuts off when it's too hot.

That's why waiting makes it work, and waiting more makes it work better.

So, why is it getting hot?

Maybe drag in the stuff that moves the window? if so, lubing it up might help.

I've seen motors where the brushes and comutator wore, and put copper debris in the motor. This can cause a short and the heat that goes along with it.

Either way, you are going to have to take that door apart to fix it.

If the motor works fine with no load on it, it's probably the associated cables and sliders.

If the motor drags with no load on it, it's the motor.

Have fun!:D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply guys. So the motor is heating up when it brings the window down? That's why I can't put it up immediately without waiting?

To sort of test the wait time, I lowered the window all the way down, drove about 2 miles which took me less than 5 minutes, and the window went up all the way without stopping.

I hope the door panel isn't a pain to remove, sounds like what I'll have to do no matter what.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Thanks for the reply guys. So the motor is heating up when it brings the window down? That's why I can't put it up immediately without waiting?

To sort of test the wait time, I lowered the window all the way down, drove about 2 miles which took me less than 5 minutes, and the window went up all the way without stopping.

I hope the door panel isn't a pain to remove, sounds like what I'll have to do no matter what.
no way to know about overheating until you pull that panel and find out ;)
getting it off is easy...a few screws/bolts and then just 'pop' out the panel.
it is held in with little plastic fittings (not the correct term :p). Use your fingers to get the lower corner started and then work your way both directions from there.
Arm rest should have 2 screw/bolts. door latch will have at least one screw.
(manual window)

·
Registered
21 Posts
My o2 Taco has exactly the same symptoms. It's definitly a heat sensitive circuit It works perfectly in the cool morning drive to work, then fails in the afternoon heat. When it's hot, grab the glass and help it up before it stalls. Not ideal, but it's helped me lock up the vehicle without having to wait for it to cool. I'll be pulling the panel this weekend and check for broken/worn/lubed sliders but expect to replace the motor and regulator.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Motor and regulator replaced in about an hour. No more issues.
I know it's been a while since you did this, but I'm having the same symptoms.

I looked at TOD and they wanted $280 for a motor :eek:

What brand motor did you go with? I don't mind spending a little money to replace but just don't want to end up with junk. (And would like to go ahead and replace both which $280 I couldn't do)

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts

What brand motor did you go with? I don't mind spending a little money to replace but just don't want to end up with junk. (And would like to go ahead and replace both which $280 I couldn't do)
what year truck? I still have 2 motors from an '03

·
Registered
21 Posts
Window motor and reg

Sorry, been off for a while.
I used this:
450741799 1995-2004 Toyota Tacoma Front Left Window Regulator with Motor and reg $79.31 and free shipping.

Ordered from: www.diypowerwindowrepair.com
It's worked perfectly....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having this same exact problem. It has been going on for about a year but has finally come to the point the driver side window takes forever to get it to go up since I have to wait longer between each time it decides to move 2inches. My truck is the 2003 Tacoma Prerunner Limited. I am going to sell it soon and want to fix it before I do. Any idea the best brand to get? I noticed the link that was shared before is no longer active.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I sprayed the forward and back window track with silicone and improved it quite a bit. I am hoping to avoid changing out the regulator and motor on my 2001 with 245,000 miles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Window motor and reg

Hey guys,

Is it a fuse?
Is it the motor?
Is it the regulator?
Is it the switch?

Thanks,
I've never seen the motor over heat like your explaining, but the contacts on the switches foo this all the time. Sounds like it worked for you so that's cool.
Sorry, been off for a while.
I used this:
450741799 1995-2004 Toyota Tacoma Front Left Window Regulator with Motor and reg $79.31 and free shipping.

Ordered from: www.diypowerwindowrepair.com
It's worked perfectly....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts