TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3" cornfed / 2.5" AAL combo on my 2000 V6 MT Extra Cab 4x4.

Since the install I have noticed a minor vibration that I feel as I'm coasting to a stop, usually between 25 and 10 mph. The vibration is there with the clutch in or out, in gear or out, brakes on or off. Nothing seems to affect it besides speed.

I checked the steering rack and it is rock solid, the tires are new and well balanced, the wheels are undamaged and did not vibrate prior to the lift, the alignment was done 300 miles after the lift and feels right. I really don't know what is causing this vibration, but I want it gone.

If this is the cause of my vibration, then surely it has happened to someone else. I read a post somewhere where a member said that they lowered the center support bearing to ease the pinion to driveshaft angle and it helped some vibrations he had. I know that this is a common issue when lifting other vehicles and that you have to try to keep that angle close to stock, so I wanted to find out if anyone has done this. If so, did it cure your vibrations?

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
I had some driveline vibrations after installing longer rear springs. Since there is a u-joint at the pinion end, and a CV in the middle, you want the pinion to point directly at the CV. If it doesn't you can install steel shims on your spring pads and/or lower the carrier bearing a little bit. Roger Brown will make you steel shims in any angle you want.

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Paul. I'm guessing that people just use a spacer or a stack of washers and a longer bolt to do this.

I'm going to try lowering the support bearing before I take the extra step of installing shims to re-align my axle to the correct angle. I will be redoing the springs with the custom pack made from two stock packs this spring or summer so I'll do it then (unless the carrier bearing drop doesn't cure the vibrations - which would mean I have to do it sooner).

·
Registered
109 Posts
so did he just put diff drop spacers in there. What do you torque the bolts back to?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have an 01 with the exact same setup and the exact same problem... dropping that one bearing seems easy enough

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The FSM says that the center support bearing to frame crossmember bolts should be torqued to 27 ft*lbs.

It seems like this would be a better known upgrade / part of lifting the rear of the Tacoma, but I guess not everyone gets the vibrations.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have an 02 with the 2.5" cornfed lift. I used a stack of washers until the vibes went away. Just takes some time to figure out how many; it kept shifting the speed at which I got the vibes until I got whatever is on there now. So add a few, test drive, repeat....

·
Registered
279 Posts
I can't tell from the pic, but I think washers would do the trick just as well as diff drop spacers. Just make sure to torque them to specs like you said and check them after a week. There was a thread on the old board that had a lot of info, but I can't find it anymore.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tacopia said:
I have an 02 with the 2.5" cornfed lift. I used a stack of washers until the vibes went away. Just takes some time to figure out how many; it kept shifting the speed at which I got the vibes until I got whatever is on there now. So add a few, test drive, repeat....
Did you have to put new bolts in there, or were the stock ones long enough to allow for the addition of the washers?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
Jamier2 said:
I have a 3" cornfed / 2.5" AAL combo on my 2000 V6 MT Extra Cab 4x4.

Since the install I have noticed a minor vibration that I feel as I'm coasting to a stop, usually between 25 and 10 mph. The vibration is there with the clutch in or out, in gear or out, brakes on or off. Nothing seems to affect it besides speed.

I checked the steering rack and it is rock solid, the tires are new and well balanced, the wheels are undamaged and did not vibrate prior to the lift, the alignment was done 300 miles after the lift and feels right. I really don't know what is causing this vibration, but I want it gone.

If this is the cause of my vibration, then surely it has happened to someone else. I read a post somewhere where a member said that they lowered the center support bearing to ease the pinion to driveshaft angle and it helped some vibrations he had. I know that this is a common issue when lifting other vehicles and that you have to try to keep that angle close to stock, so I wanted to find out if anyone has done this. If so, did it cure your vibrations?
Join the club. I got vibrations too, and no clue where they come from. They arent bad but they are noticeable. I did the center bearing drop but i used 3/4" nuts i picked up at Home Depot. BTW the main reason i did this mod was to relieve drive shaft angles not vibration.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
anytime you raise the rear end, other than a body lift, you must then rotate the pinion back to the needed 0 degrees of angle with the driveline.
In general 1* of shim for each inch of lift does the trick (to a point). RB (Roger Brown) has steel axle shims for around $25.
IMO, shimming the axle is better than trying to 'drop' the carrier bearing.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/Shims.shtml

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
hytenor said:
anytime you raise the rear end, other than a body lift, you must then rotate the pinion back to the needed 0 degrees of angle with the driveline.
In general 1* of shim for each inch of lift does the trick (to a point). RB (Roger Brown) has steel axle shims for around $25.
IMO, shimming the axle is better than trying to 'drop' the carrier bearing.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/Shims.shtml
This is true. The short driveshaft between the t-case and the CV is happiest when running a 0* angle. I just messed with mine until the vibes went away, but it is still 'not right' and u-joint life will probably suffer. With a spare driveshaft in the toolbox, I'm not that concerned about it, but it's still in the back of my mind as one of those little things that could be improved someday.

Also, Roger Brown makes two styles of shim. One is designed to weld to the spring pad, the other will bolt up into the leaf pack if the center bolt is long enough.

Roger makes nice stuff for a good price. He could definitely improve his website a little bit if he wanted to do more business though!

Later,
....Mike

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
I'll second the improvements on the website...I am looking to get a 2" BL from him, but am continuously dismayed by the confusing layout and lack of "kits" on his website. But I thought it was just me and so many people have his stuff...I figured it couldnt be that hard to order!!!

Oh shit...sorry for the hijack...

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
dougtrd said:
I'll second the improvements on the website...I am looking to get a 2" BL from him, but am continuously dismayed by the confusing layout and lack of "kits" on his website. But I thought it was just me and so many people have his stuff...I figured it couldnt be that hard to order!!!

Oh shit...sorry for the hijack...
My girlfriend wanted a 2" body lift, so I recommended Roger Brown. A few minutes later she emailed me and said 'All I want is the damn click here to order button!'. I then referred her to the PA kit at central4wd.com.

Later,
....Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts