TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I've narrowed it down to u-joints, carrier bearing, or pinion. At high speeds (freeway mostly) above 65 mph, when I LET OFF the gas I get a scraping noise like a tire rubbing an inner fenderwell. Pretty sure it's the u-joints but I was reading other threads and from what other people have said the sound goes AWAY when the let off the gas with bad u-joints. I greased them up but it's still noticeable. Any advice is appreciated.

-Tweeter

Edit: It's a 2000 Tacoma w/ 120k miles, long travel blah blah blah

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
sounds like carrier bearing, you get any vibes when it scrapes?

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Little bit. The scraping noise is worse than the vibrations.
get under your truck and try and wiggle the d-shaft around inside of the carrier bearing, if it moves a bunch then the cb is bad. its easy to fix though. if its tight still, then youve got a u-joint on its way out, also easy to fix...

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
get under your truck and try and wiggle the d-shaft around inside of the carrier bearing, if it moves a bunch then the cb is bad. its easy to fix though. if its tight still, then youve got a u-joint on its way out, also easy to fix...
I tried wiggling it already and it didn't seem loose up front or towards the rear. I just thought that if you let off the gas the scraping goes away for a u-joint and if it's loose it's the carrier bearing. That's why I'm so confused right now lol

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
I had such a brain racking problem with my rear driveshaft...

My noise sounded like I had a set of keys jingling under my truck when I would let off the gas.

Everyone said either Center Support ("Carrier") bearing or double-cardan joint. So I took my driveshaft, and had the double-cardan rebuilt, the center support replaced, and all the u-joints replaced.

...The noise was still there.

So I replaced my rear wheel bearings.

Finally I took it to Toyota, and they replaced the ENTIRE DRIVE SHAFT ASSEMBLY (under warranty) and that finally got rid of my noise. Good luck with yours. Sounds like your noise is occurring under the same conditions as mine, but the noise you're describing is different than what i had.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
I had such a brain racking problem with my rear driveshaft...

My noise sounded like I had a set of keys jingling under my truck when I would let off the gas.

Everyone said either Center Support ("Carrier") bearing or double-cardan joint. So I took my driveshaft, and had the double-cardan rebuilt, the center support replaced, and all the u-joints replaced.

So I replaced my rear wheel bearings.

Finally I took it to Toyota, and they replaced the ENTIRE DRIVE SHAFT ASSEMBLY (under warranty) and that finally got rid of my noise. Good luck with yours. Sounds like your noise is occurring under the same conditions as mine, but the noise you're describing is different than what i had.
ive heard that metal can fall off and jingle arround inside the driveshaft, prob what you experienced.

tweet on the other hand has something different. need to remove the shaft and inspect the u-joints, sometimes a bad joint can look ok until you remove it from the truck

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ive heard that metal can fall off and jingle arround inside the driveshaft, prob what you experienced.

tweet on the other hand has something different. need to remove the shaft and inspect the u-joints, sometimes a bad joint can look ok until you remove it from the truck
Definitely NOT a jingling noise. Best way I can describe it is a tire rubbing an inner fender well, but it stays for about 3 seconds then goes, then comes back again ONLY when I let OFF the gas :confused:

Yeah it's in my buddy's shop right now getting looked at I'm going to put my money on the carrier bearing

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Could be an output bearing.
Hey just called me, they took out the driveshaft and everything was snug u-joints are good they're all greased up and good to go, and we're going to go drive it again and take a look after finals...:mad:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Good luck Tweeter! I have had that noise for 2 years...cannot get rid of it no matter what I do but it still hasnt caused any damage that I can tell...just very annoying and scary sounding!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts