TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I just had my drive shafts re done, and the guy said it was about as thick as exhaust tube although he didn’t have an exact size for me :scared: He also mentioned it had a cardboard baffle isolating the outer tube from an inner tube that appeared to be floating inside :confused: None the less, I had it replaced with .090 wall DOM so as to lessoning the chance of making a pretzel out of it on the trail ;)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
It either .49 or .60 either way its too thin and the difference between the two is so slight that you would'nt be able to tell probably just by looking at it. I cant remember what the guy at the driveline shop said it was exactly, but I wasnt listening very closely b/c I was getting it re done with a thicker tube.

You cant expect lots of people to know this kind of stuff, where do you think you are... the old Delphi board?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"You cant expect lots of people to know this kind of stuff, where do you think you are... the old Delphi board?"

ASS! yes you are an ASS...such an ASS i want to smother you with grape jelly and watch ants cover your body :)

I just went with .095 for my rear driveshaft and was told by the guy that stock is .060

seems awful thin to me....

·
Banned
3,446 Posts
I know it will vary by location and I should call my local shop, but how much did you guys pay to get your shafts retubed with thicker steel?

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
Overkill, you all nothing of overkill. I had front and rear custome driveshafts made out of .250 wall. I have spun the shaft on rocks with the full weight of the truck on it and it just spit out sparks and rock dust. No damage except for scratches. It balanced just fine, in fact it only needed one small weight. Truck drives nice and smooth. Ask the guys here in Az what my nickname is, or just look at my fab work...it has been said that I could take on an oncoming train :lmao: Must have something to do with the fact that I grew up in the mining industry, big equipment, big steel!
I paid over $600 to have mine redone. I don't get the impression that you want to take this route though. For your needs I would expect to pay around $250+/-

But yes, regardless of the thickness it is far too thin for any kind rough wheeling.
No, I am not sure of the thickness, but I recall .085 for some reason, probably not right though.

·
Banned
1,254 Posts
joel said:
hmmm, seems like over kill but ok... How did it balance? From what I hear, the thicker it is, the harder it is to get right....

works great, I`m very happy with it. It balanced great, and
is superbeefy :D ......and the price was a no brainer... :D :D

·
Banned
1,254 Posts
Kaistie said:
Overkill, you all nothing of overkill. I had front and rear custome driveshafts made out of .250 wall. I have spun the shaft on rocks with the full weight of the truck on it and it just spit out sparks and rock dust. No damage except for scratches. It balanced just fine, in fact it only needed one small weight. Truck drives nice and smooth. Ask the guys here in Az what my nickname is, or just look at my fab work...it has been said that I could take on an oncoming train :lmao: Must have something to do with the fact that I grew up in the mining industry, big equipment, big steel!
I paid over $600 to have mine redone. I don't get the impression that you want to take this route though. For your needs I would expect to pay around $250+/-

But yes, regardless of the thickness it is far too thin for any kind rough wheeling.
No, I am not sure of the thickness, but I recall .085 for some reason, probably not right though.

Yeah Nate & I both like ridiculous duty stuff, build it right-once....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts