TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck DR tells me that my drive shaft is going bad and needs to be replaced. Looking for one that will fit my 2001 4x4, what do you have?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Showstop, so what you're saying is to replace U-Joints and carrier bearing before replacing the drive shaft? Just recently started having vibes at 55mph-ish, shop I took it too tells me that the drive shaft is bad and will need to replace, with a cost of $1000! Not too keen on that, was thinking that replacing the u-joints should resolve it as the drive shaft. At the same time the carrier bearing. Dont have a lift really in the back, I have some 2" Toytec shackles with stock leafs. Planning on installing some AllPro Expos that are collecting dust in the garage soon.

Whats the thoughts on a carrier bearing drop kit?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, might have to make a 4 hour trip to the big cities for that!

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Find a shop that specializes in driveline/driveshaft service. They can repair and balance the driveshaft as needed.

Unless you have more than a 3" lift, I don't see a point in dropping the center support.
Bingo; $1000 for a d-shaft is nuts since U-joints can be replaced as mentioned above. Find out exactly what's wrong before throwing money at it. :cool:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found out Off Again in Farmington, NM can service driveshafts, a little bit closer than California.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had water in diff, replaced all seals and bearings and working much better now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts