TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally have the money to buy a new front driveshaft for my sas'd 02 tacoma, and I was wondering why no one has taken their stock drive shaft, had it lengthened, and just used that instead of buying a whole new one. A place here in town will lengthen it for $100.00... much cheaper than a brand new one. Why hasn't anyone done this?

·
Registered
458 Posts
You can lengthen it all you want but the slip joint is the limiting factor. Its too short and will pull apart very quickly.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
supahonkey said:
I finally have the money to buy a new front driveshaft for my sas'd 02 tacoma, and I was wondering why no one has taken their stock drive shaft, had it lengthened, and just used that instead of buying a whole new one. A place here in town will lengthen it for $100.00... much cheaper than a brand new one. Why hasn't anyone done this?
When you droop the driver's side it will come apart. Then you will be bummed because your truck is stuck half way up a vertical waterfall making it difficult to wrench on stuff. (Shane knows what I'm talking about!) :D

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nice, sounds like fun! A vertical waterfall sucks, but I've had the rear slip out 4 times now... all on the road. The worst was a few weeks back when I had to brake really hard to avoid running a red light. I was in the middle lane (it was 3 lanes wide) when the rear driveshaft slipped out. I had to push it, making a right turn from the middle lane, coast down a slight hill, and pull into a windshield repair place where I had to exchange my drivers license for two standard wrenches (didn't even have metric!). I had to find a log to put behind my tires to keep it from rolling backwards and get under the truck to put the driveshaft back in. Did I mention that it was 5 degrees, and it was snowing, with snow and ice on the ground... oh, and I forgot my jacket that day too...

that sucked! i need a longer rear driveshaft!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Mike said:
When you droop the driver's side it will come apart. Then you will be bummed because your truck is stuck half way up a vertical waterfall making it difficult to wrench on stuff. (Shane knows what I'm talking about!) :D
Yeah, and that was a long travel driveshaft ;) I'm not sure who that sucked for more - me, just sitting in the truck or robert & chip who climbed underneath to wire it up so that I could get up the waterfall...

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
gambrinus said:
Yeah, and that was a long travel driveshaft ;) I'm not sure who that sucked for more - me, just sitting in the truck or robert & chip who climbed underneath to wire it up so that I could get up the waterfall...

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Definitly go with Jessy. Great service and an awesome driveshaft. WELL worth the money.

Trent

1 - 10 of 10 Posts