TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a Tacoma prerunner v6 as a rental with a total of 34 miles on it. So far I am not impressed. Interior feels kind of cheap. My Atari 800 produced better graphics than the eTune radio. I am amazed that any manufacturer sells a car without intermittent wipers. It is a double cab and it looks like you get the worst of both worlds. The interior is small and the bed is practically useless. I would probably go with an extended cab, but they are almost impossible to find. It is looking more and more like I am heading toward a Tundra.

·
NEVER SERIOUS
363 Posts
Got a Tacoma prerunner v6 as a rental with a total of 34 miles on it. So far I am not impressed. Interior feels kind of cheap. My Atari 800 produced better graphics than the eTune radio. I am amazed that any manufacturer sells a car without intermittent wipers. It is a double cab and it looks like you get the worst of both worlds. The interior is small and the bed is practically useless. I would probably go with an extended cab, but they are almost impossible to find. It is looking more and more like I am heading toward a Tundra.
I had an 07 extended cab trd off road and it was fully loaded and I thought it was okay but not outstanding. The modern Toyotas are not the bulletproof yoters of the past, not just the trucks either (entire line up). They have switched from quality being # 1 priority to profits being #1 priority, they are following the lead of the not so big 3.:(

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Is it any wonder when they hired their leadership for Toyota America from Detroit. It's really stupid, so stupid you'd almost think the gubbyment made that move.
I know, lets go hire the people who we just kicked the shit out of to run our business into the ground too. DUH!
I think the best year for the Tacoma was 97 in looks and function. After that it's been a down hill slide. After all, if I want to buy something that looks like a Dodge, I'd go buy a Dodge.

I had an 07 extended cab trd off road and it was fully loaded and I thought it was okay but not outstanding. The modern Toyotas are not the bulletproof yoters of the past, not just the trucks either (entire line up). They have switched from quality being # 1 priority to profits being #1 priority, they are following the lead of the not so big 3.:(

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Let me add fuel economy to my gripes. I just finished a 300 mile trip all highway and the gauge is almost on E. WTF? I thought these were getting 20+? I should have another 100 miles to go.

I think my biggest gripe with the Tacoma is the price. The new Tacoma is about $10K more than what I paid for my 02. It really isn't any nicer. It is like it got stuck in a time warp. The only real improvement was adding Bluetooth.

Although not an improvement, but a feature I still like is that it is one of the few vehicles that you still have to turn the headlights on yourself. My wifes MDX it is impossible to darken it unless it is off.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
It's not fair to blame the price on Toyota. Not after the assholes in Washington put the printing presses on over time printing up more currency in what they termed Quantitative Easing this time around.
They can call it what they will but inflation is nothing more than a tax on all of us. It the politicians way of taxing what you have already earned or ever hope to earn. Don't ever trust a politician no matter what they may say or what they might call themselves, Democrat, Republican or whatever, they're all assholes interested only in themselves and in those respects they are all the same.

Let me add fuel economy to my gripes. I just finished a 300 mile trip all highway and the gauge is almost on E. WTF? I thought these were getting 20+? I should have another 100 miles to go.

I think my biggest gripe with the Tacoma is the price. The new Tacoma is about $10K more than what I paid for my 02. It really isn't any nicer. It is like it got stuck in a time warp. The only real improvement was adding Bluetooth.

Although not an improvement, but a feature I still like is that it is one of the few vehicles that you still have to turn the headlights on yourself. My wifes MDX it is impossible to darken it unless it is off.

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
My favorite was my old dbl cab...kind of a rattle trap though.
My 2010 fj is much tighter and I live in the mountains instead of in salt water but still that dbl cab was a lot of fun.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I agree 100%. I've got a 99 Taco Ext. cab and a 06 Tundra Doublecab. I was at the dealership last week getting some parts for my 82 Pickup and the wife and I went out on the lot to check out the new trucks.

First of all the interiors are horrible. Seems like they are just punched out of a plastic mold instead of assembled. I'm not crazy about the exteriors either. They are too big and too much like the American trucks. Like you guys have said, they are trying to be like the big 3. Which I guess is fine, I just won't own a newer Toyota truck. Makes my life easier without a truck payment.

My wife feels the same way about BMWs. She'd never own a new one.

Everyone is going cheap on build quality. That's the thing that used to make Toyota stand out. Hell, my Tacoma has 200k on the clock and is still holding up to look better than most people's domestic trucks after they've put 50k on them.

Things just aren't built to last any more. If anything ever happened to my trucks I'd find another older Toyota to replace it with.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
After owning 3 Tacomas, I just couldnt do it anymore. A dated engine that gets awful MPG and cant haul anything and a lame interior. I got a 2013 F150 that gets better gas mileage and is on a different level in terms of comfort and towing. Plus my F150 didnt cost anymore than my Tacoma did. Toyota is the only company I know of that rides each model as long as they do without an (real)update.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
My favorite was my old dbl cab...kind of a rattle trap though.
My 2010 fj is much tighter and I live in the mountains instead of in salt water but still that dbl cab was a lot of fun.
been a while :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts