TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Gents. I have installed two sets of driving lights one set with two and the other set with four lights. I did one set on the taco I used to have, and the other set on my tundra. Well, now my woman has an 04 4runner and I cant get it. The problem Im having is that i usually run a relay and use the high beam 12v power as a trigger that way my lights only come on with my brights and off with them. I have no need to have them on b
y them selves. Well the 4runner has four bulbs two highs and two lows. The best i can get is the driving lights turn on when the lows come on and stay on when i go to brights. or I can have them come on with the lows and then they shut off when the brights come on. my only thought is that since I dont have a wiring diagram, would get another relay and try to rig it so when the one relay swithces it will switch the next relay to the right position. Im at a loss, so its guess and check tomorrow unless someone might have a diagram on how to have one relay, trigger by a pos, switch to a neg, then have that neg trigger the next relay to throw a pos for the lights. I dont want to run into the cab or dash. any advice would be helpful. thanks jeremy

·
Registered
338 Posts
So,
you have a relay that has pos (+) from the battery to the 30 terminal, ground (-) to the 85 terminal, a jumper from the headlight to the 86 terminal and the aux lights are going to the 87 terminal.

It seems the 4 runner is negative switching on the headlights, in that case, run the trigger of the relay in parallel with the headlight. The 86 terminal to the pos headlight wire and the 85 terminal to the neg headlight wire. that way you only use one relay

·
Registered
338 Posts
A picture says a thousand words
Based on what you said this is my best guess.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice diagram

Thanks for taking the time to draw that diagram and help me out. I ended up using the low beam as a trigger and a the high beam as a ground in the 85 slot. Now they are working the way i want them. thanks for your diagram, it lead me to finding an alternative ground. I will admit, I am without my multimeter, so it was some guess and check. I will have to check all the polarityies out when I get my multimeter and do a write up so others can see how I did it. thank you jeremy

·
Registered
338 Posts
no problem, any time!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I wired my driving lights so that the switch, and the hi-beams have to be on before the driving lights will activate.

Makes a no nonsense 'flash-to-pass' circuit.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I used a SPDT switch with center off, so that one way they are on with both low & high beams, and the other way they come on with the high's only. Only problem is, I can't find a lighted switch!

·
Registered
338 Posts
I could swear I saw a lighted switch like that, but i can't remember where. Try searching "where to buy switches" or something like that. I know there is a tread with links to places.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts