TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a manual hub taco and i need to drive it without a CV in it and I am wondering if this is possible. i know it is with the older pickups and 4 runners but was wondering if it can be done in a 98 taco. the only problem i can think of would be stuff getting in the diff but i dont know if the CV plays any role in keep the wheel bearing in place or if there would be any other problems. anybody know??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im SAS it so im not worried about contamination just need to drive it for a few weeks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,467 Posts
In ADD spindles, the CV axles are required. Since you've got manual hubs, you are good to go. I may even have some of my old PreRunner spindles sitting around that have caps that go over the bearing if you are interested.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks thats what i needed to know and i wont bother with you having to dig up old spindles and stuff but thanks for the offer
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,846 Posts
tacoma87 said:
I have a manual hub taco and i need to drive it without a CV in it and I am wondering if this is possible. i know it is with the older pickups and 4 runners but was wondering if it can be done in a 98 taco. the only problem i can think of would be stuff getting in the diff but i dont know if the CV plays any role in keep the wheel bearing in place or if there would be any other problems. anybody know??
I drove my truck around for a week with no front diff and the axles tied up with bailing wire while the diff was getting regeared...not a problem. If you need to pull a CV, just drain the front diff and seal up the hole. I've seen guys use a ziplock bag and a big rubber band or zip-tie...whatever works to keep the crud from getting inside the diff. Stuff a shop rag in there and zippie a bag over the hole ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
947 Posts
Ok Hytenor... bailing wire to hold up the CV's, 2X4's in place of coils.. You really do find ways to make things work. I like it..
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,846 Posts
jhunter said:
Ok Hytenor... bailing wire to hold up the CV's, 2X4's in place of coils.. You really do find ways to make things work. I like it..
well, the truck was parked when the 2x4s were taking place of the coilovers ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,598 Posts
I have a question.....

if you have add and for some reason needed to drive without the shafts / diff (say you broke on the trail with no spare) couldn't you cut the cv off just after it ges through the bearing.........and then put that little piece in the bearing, put the nut on the out side, and drive it...........or am I missing something.
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,846 Posts
Full_Tilt_Fud said:
I have a question.....

if you have add and for some reason needed to drive without the shafts / diff (say you broke on the trail with no spare) couldn't you cut the cv off just after it ges through the bearing.........and then put that little piece in the bearing, put the nut on the out side, and drive it...........or am I missing something.
yes, you can either disassemble the outer birfield and leave the outer casing/stub shaft in or just cut the axle shaft.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
484 Posts
The outer joint should come out pretty easily with a pair of needlenose and some patience. The Tundra outers are the same as the Tacoma outers right? The only diff is the Tacomas have a tripod joint on the inner, yes?
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top