TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which lift has better travel up front, tough country or fab tech? I have seen a few posts discussing ways to improve the fab techs travel but is the tough country any better?

The obvious sollution is SAS, but that is out of the realm of possiblities at this point, so please, no posts stating that.
 

·
Cracker
Joined
·
5,648 Posts
4BYnTacoma said:
Which lift has better travel up front, tough country or fab tech? I have seen a few posts discussing ways to improve the fab techs travel but is the tough country any better?

The obvious sollution is SAS, but that is out of the realm of possiblities at this point, so please, no posts stating that.
Unless you find someone who has (or had) both you'll get a lot of subjectivity... should be an interesting thread :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
I would think they both are the same...or at least darn close. Essentially they are the same a-arms used. I would think with an ifs suspension that travel will only be affected by two things....the coilovers used and the arms..like a long travel setup.
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,839 Posts
4BYnTacoma said:
Which lift has better travel up front, tough country or fab tech? I have seen a few posts discussing ways to improve the fab techs travel but is the tough country any better?

The obvious sollution is SAS, but that is out of the realm of possiblities at this point, so please, no posts stating that.
All the drop-bracket style lifts maintain OE geometry (8" of front wheel travel) so there is no improvement with any of them. The only way to gain travel is to go with a LT (Long Travel) kit that includes longer CV axles or solid axle.

You can, however gain about 1" of down-travel with Donahoe's extended coilovers but you then need limit straps to keep from hyperextending the inner tripod joints in the CV axles.

OME N91s will give a tad over OE travel as well since they are slightly longer shocks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,294 Posts
you dont need limit straps with the extended donahoes, they have something built in that acts as an internal limit strap. i've got them on mine with no limit straps and they're fine, and i drive my truck pretty hard
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,839 Posts
YoTRacer158 said:
you dont need limit straps with the extended donahoes, they have something built in that acts as an internal limit strap. i've got them on mine with no limit straps and they're fine, and i drive my truck pretty hard
Hmm, I popped a tripod with just OME shocks (about 1/2" longer than OE) and had to rebuild the thing. nothing broke so I just put all 80 of the needle bearings back in and repacked it ;) For some reason my pass side has about 1" more droop than the Dr side, always has. This might be the problem. I plan on adding a strap to the pass side to make sure I don't repeat the problem.
According to Corey this is actually more common then one would think. but then, you know those crazy desert runners ;)

with either extended shocks or 1/2" top-load plates (does essentially the same thing as longer shocks) I would still add straps just for insurance.
 

·
Not really here...
Joined
·
3,013 Posts
hytenor said:
All the drop-bracket style lifts maintain OE geometry (8" of front wheel travel) so there is no improvement with any of them.
Isn't it true that the Fabtech lift actually decreases uptravel? I thought that's why Chris and a couple other guys trimmed their bump stops.
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,839 Posts
synovus said:
Isn't it true that the Fabtech lift actually decreases uptravel? I thought that's why Chris and a couple other guys trimmed their bump stops.
Hmm, good question. that's what I get for believing the company's advertizements, LOL

I know all the DB kits reduce ground clearance but wasn't aware of less up-travel.

how the heck are you? anything new? ;)
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
hytenor
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing
Top