TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to put dual antennas on my taco, mostly because I like things to be proportioned on the truck (I would rather have one on either side instead of one just by itself, flame for that if you want) but somebody I work with told me that having two would cause them to interfere with each other and would be worse that having just one. I was planning on putting two 4 foot fiberglass mounted on the bed rail on either side but if it's going to be worse, then I'll work something else out. Thanks.

AJ

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Dual antennas need to be something like 9 feet apart to work, then its only linear.. which is why truckers use them, they get better reception up and down the highway, but offroad and around town you only want a single... besideds dual antennas look goofy on little rigs, IMO...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yea 4 foot duals will look way too hick, unless thats what your going for. They will be a biatch to tune, and you need a phased coax to run them. The absolute best thing to do is one in the center of the roof.

·
Registered
227 Posts
YotaJosh said:
If you want 2 antennas just for aesthetic purposes only, then don't wire the second one to the CB. It could be your little secret.
Thats how I had my dual antenna setup. It looked like both was hooked up, but I just had one hooked up. ;) I just switched to the 102" whip, and besides hitting every damn tree branch I go under its a pretty good antenna.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
YotaJosh said:
If you want 2 antennas just for aesthetic purposes only, then don't wire the second one to the CB. It could be your little secret.
It will still act as a passive reflector for the first antenna to some extent. Seeing as he wants fibreglass antennae, if he were to doctor up one so that it had no conductor in it, it would truly not affect the other.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
it can be done effectively but will take a little more work than a single setup, they will need to be co-phased to work with each other

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
The problem with co-phasing them is they need to be further apart than the width of his truck. Or they focus out to the sides more than front and back.

Edit: They will probably still work for typical trail use, just sub-optimal. And probably not a whole lot different than the passive reflector.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had two antenaes on my 01 dcab. One was a black 4 ft fiberglass whip for my CB mounted on the driver side on my toolbox, the other was a 4 ft. wire whip for my VHF Marine Band radio, it was mounted on the passenger side of the tool box. Although it was not the exact same antenaes it looked real cool.

BTW, the reason I had a VHF Marine radio in my truck is that lots of us that hunt use them in the mountains because the are pretty strong. So I had two radio's. The signals never crossed because they were used at different times. I also had a small flag holder that I could slide a fiberglass pole flag into when I was on the dunes. One of my favorite flags was: I HATE SIERRA CLUB. My wife didn't like me to use that one, but I did anyway. Fun is Fun right!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yea, I've been told that. I am so far from the water when they are used it will never get in the way of anything important. Otherwise it is just on the off position 99.9% of the time.

Where in Idaho do you live when you are home? My son is in college in Rexburg. My dad was born in Twin Falls. But that was a long time ago.

I really like Idaho and would live there, but my wife put a veto on that. So I visit when I want to see friends and hunt a bit.

BlackDog Out. Here is my new 07 in the snow. I know you are ordering one just like it if I can remember correctly.

I have already swapped out both bumpers with Allpro and sliders go on this week. Changing quickly now.

Keep up the good work out there.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Yeah.. it shouldnt be an issue unless some AWAC on training picks you up.. but even then I doubt they report it.. just take note of good hunting spots :D

I would like to see photos of the sliders when you get them on, mainly with the rear door open. I am trying to decide which ones to run. I dont want to interfear with putting the baby in and out.... I have allpros now and love them, thou I am looking at either stubbs or shrocks for the 07...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts