·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Almost 200 views and not a single response? The distribution block makes sense and that's what I'm going with. I guess I was hoping for a second opinion before I fried FRED. Its tough getting smoke back into those wires...
Eric

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
No help here, but I am interested in some info too.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Me three! I'm 99% sure you just need a distribution block. Im running 1ga wire from my battery in my bed to the distribution block, then 1ga from there back to the starter... Hopefully I don't fry FRED...

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I went with a distributor block, and upgraded the wiring from the block down to the starter to a 1/0 cable and Im still not able to start the truck. It just sits there and ticks at me. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The cables from the battery to the distribution block are 1/0 and from the distribution block to the starter as well. The ground from the battery is 1/0, sanded and bolted to the frame... I grounded the negatives that used to connect to the main battery to the inside of the engine compartment, and hooked the other two (starter and fuse box) up to the distribution block... I even tried jumping the batteries together and jumping from another car and still don't have anything...

·
Administrator
18,233 Posts
The cables from the battery to the distribution block are 1/0 and from the distribution block to the starter as well. The ground from the battery is 1/0, sanded and bolted to the frame... I grounded the negatives that used to connect to the main battery to the inside of the engine compartment, and hooked the other two (starter and fuse box) up to the distribution block... I even tried jumping the batteries together and jumping from another car and still don't have anything...
The truck doesn't use the frame as a grounding point. Did you actually mean to say the engine block? The battery grounds should connect to the engine block and the body. There is also the added engine to body ground near the firewall to keep a close bond with the ECU.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's correct. I ran the ground out a hole I had in the bed from my bed cage and mounted it to the frame. Should I have routed that back and attach it to the block? What about the two grounds back at the stock battery location? Could I have mounted that to the sheet metal inside the engine compartment?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Curious how this turned out. Any update?
I would have suggested a negative buss (distribution block) in the engine bay, and extend an equal size negative conductor (as the new positive) from the battery to the (-) buss, and use this as a central grounding point for the stock needs. Obviously I am a few weeks behind and assuming something had to work by now.

UPDATES PLEASE!!!!!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey, I went A-wol for a bit. The Dual Battery install went pretty well actually, from what I can remember anyways... I had a bit of an overheating problem with the truck (unrelated) and I finally blew the head gasket. I was also getting ready to move out of the country so I unregistered the truck and its currently sitting on the side of my parents house waiting for a new engine...

From what I can remember I ended up beefing up all of the ground cables, I also replaced the starter cable with 1/0 cable as well. The upgraded alt. worked with out a problem as well.

I look forward to a ton of work when I get back in August!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have pictures at home I can post when I get back if anyone is interested.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts