TTORA Forum banner

181 - 200 of 279 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Anyone happen to know what trail gear uses for a bearing in their cases?

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Trail gear, advanced adapters, and inchworm (prior to meging with marlin) used a single row bearing, its the same bearing used in a stock toyota gear drive case. This was deemed to cause metal fretting on the output splines by coupler wobble. Marlin, and eventually inchworm, uses the double row bearing to cure this.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
Yep. Single row bearing just isnt meant to have the load a crawl bow throws at it. If the gear was supported on both ends its ok. But a crawl box supports the coupler with one bearing...

Its like using a single row bearing for a wheel bearing. It needs to be a double row

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
For me, it's just a little disappointing that it only took Phill a couple of days to research and find a bearing that should work perfectly... and none of these companies were able to pull that off.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
For me, it's just a little disappointing that it only took Phill a couple of days to research and find a bearing that should work perfectly... and none of these companies were able to pull that off.
I think it's mainly because the sales gimmicks got in the way. Kind of like having a "360° clocking adapter". Who cares if you can point it at the ground. Nobody needs to. But to claim it as an advantage over a competitors product....

Same thing with the double row max cap bearing. Not needed, and in the end, it just made matters worse...

My two cents.

Got the truck buttoned together today. Leaving for koh in a couple of weeks. 1,000 mile trip should be a good test on the bearing, along with wheeling. :)

·
Registered
508 Posts
That isn't good to hear about the TG one. It will cost about $1050 shipped to have a built one shipped to my door. It looks like the Inchworm is $300 more and I don't know if it works yet. I hate to spend that kind of money on something that doesn't function properly.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
That isn't good to hear about the TG one. It will cost about $1050 shipped to have a built one shipped to my door. It looks like the Inchworm is $300 more and I don't know if it works yet. I hate to spend that kind of money on something that doesn't function properly.
Speaking from experience i would risk a ball popping out of a bearing over striping out an input anyday. An extra 300 is worth it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Speaking from experience i would risk a ball popping out of a bearing over striping out an input anyday. An extra 300 is worth it.

Inchworm is no longer shipping with the bearing that has a ball pop out

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
Inchworm is no longer shipping with the bearing that has a ball pop out
True. We still don't have solid proven experience with the new bearing. I'm confident it will be fine but only time will tell

I'd rather gamble on that than get something with known problems

·
Registered
277 Posts
True. We still don't have solid proven experience with the new bearing. I'm confident it will be fine but only time will tell

I'd rather gamble on that than get something with known problems

Yup

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
^Nice.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
Ponethousand got the new bearing in his setup, but he hasn't installed it yet. That being said, it's a 5209 similar to Norcalpr's. It just has a lower max rpm rating.

·
Registered
746 Posts
So, I went back and read Phills comments on the max RPMs. Would it be better to get it built with out the bearing, and install the MRC bearing myself? Or is this Nachi bearing going to work fine? I guess it wouldn't be very often, or ever that you would be in 5th gear, low, at 4500+ RPM.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
^You got it. Any time you are in 5th gear and over 4500 RPM you could potentially over spin the Nachi. I've never done that myself, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. That being said, if I was to choose between the two, I'd go with the MRC just for peace of mind.

·
Registered
746 Posts
For me, I'd probably just stop and shift out of low. It's kind of annoying going through all the gears in low, with an automatic. Even more reason the RPMs wouldn't be an issue.

181 - 200 of 279 Posts