1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
it has nothing to do with the wheels the diff is the locker

·
Registered
103 Posts
ummm the rear wheels.. when you lock the rear diff both tires turn at the same rate.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
guess what i meant was what wheels spin. i know what the differential locker is. mine isn't friggin at the moment so i wanted to make sure what exactly i am trying to fix.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
if you have a 4x4 it only works in 4lo. unless you do the grey wire mod. when you push the button the "diff lock" light will be solid red when on. when its not engaging it will be flashing. and like i said if its not working and your trying to engage it in 2wd or 4hi, it wont work anyways. search for grey wire mod in cheap tricks

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
x2 badmoon

·
Registered
395 Posts
Basically an open diff will spin the wheel with the LEAST amount of traction. (That's how you can go around corners without a major ordeal.) The outside tire has to spin much faster and travel much further than the inside tire. A locker will "lock" both rear wheels together so they both spin irreguardless of traction.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
If you want to be sure that the locker is working, chuck the front wheels and lift the rear tires on the ground with a floor jack under the diff. Put the truck in neutral and spin one of the tires with your hand. If the locker is functioning properly, both tires will spin in the same direction. If the locker is not engaged, the tires will spin in opposite directions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts