TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Running TRXus M/Ts 285/75/16 on black steelies from Wheelers on a 01 Dcab.

Decided to try out the Dynabeads, went with 8 oz per tire and followed the mfg directions for install.

Now I have a serious shimmy in the steering wheel starting around 45 mph and it turns into a full on shake the truck vibe at about 60mph. :mad:

I have varied the psi in the 30-38 range with out much impact.

At lower speeds the ride is noticably improved

These tires have been a pain to balance since day one. Last go around one tire had weights almost all the way around. These tires have been rode pretty hard and have some cuts and minor chunking. One of them feels noticably out of round.

What now? The tires have around 40% tread remaining. Plus I just dumped $50+ of dynabeads in them:(

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
probably the wheels. hub bore on yota's are big and the wheels have to be centered on the lugs which is a really big PITA!!! i've got the black aluminun wheels from wheelers and i've had the same problem. try to torque lugs while the wheels are off the ground, it helps some.
-daniel

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Lug centric balance them without the Dynabeads in them..Did you balance them first and then add the beads?? OOh and you might want to try closer to the 26psi range, especially since it's a "D" load range tire..

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
I run dynobeads in my 37's, I ran them in my previous set of 37's as well. they will help, but the secret I discovered is that you need to add about 10-15% more beads than what is recommend. For my tire size they say to use 10oz. I ended up using 14oz. and probably could have used a bit more.

On the current set of tires I have (Irok radials) I have the dyno beads in the rear tires and none in the front (laziness) and I can actually feel the beads rotating in the rear as I pull off from a red light/accelerate.

take Taco Crazy's advice and get the lug centric balance with the beads in. I normally just the tires balanced when I put them on the wheels and later go back and add the beads.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, here in Italy finding a lug centric balancer might be a trick;)

How do you say lug centric balancer in Italian?

I'll try the lower psi and see.

Would I benefit at all from a regular balance job?

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Balance them first....Then add the beads. You can't properly balance them when the beads are in there, the tech will get a different measurement every time he spins it, ask me how I know this..LOL

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
as stated before, balance them first and then add the beads. You will see some benefit from a regular balance job but not as much as you would with the lug centric. the finishing touch will be the dyno beads!But only once you get the tires in the ball park first!

·
Registered
808 Posts
If your tires are not in good shape, balancing is not going to do anything. You may want to consider replacing the tires.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
I can tell you this, I went thru this same issue when I first got my TRXUS M/T's, drove me crazy! Had them balanced lug-centric and all that crap went away. I've been there and that's my .02

·
Registered
704 Posts
Well, here in Italy finding a lug centric balancer might be a trick;)

How do you say lug centric balancer in Italian?
compensatore centric dell'aletta

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Ive run mine down to 22 psi now to get them smooth and thats only up to 70mph. They are better now with dynabeads than they were with normal wheel weights though. Just had to turn down the pressure a bit.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Ive run mine down to 22 psi now to get them smooth and thats only up to 70mph. They are better now with dynabeads than they were with normal wheel weights though. Just had to turn down the pressure a bit.
X2 on the pressure, I run no more than 25psi in mine..

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll try the lower pressure.

Pouring out the dynabeads and starting over seems too much like pouring $56 down the drain.

I can see the beads going everywhere as soon as I pop the bead:mad:

Then I pay for a balance and then more dynabeads. OUCH..

I'll try lower air pressure then 2 more oz per tire of beads

·
Registered
6,347 Posts

Pouring out the dynabeads and starting over seems too much like pouring $56 down the drain.

let the air out of your tire, pop bead, remove dynabeads, ballance tire on machine, check ballance on vehicle, add dynabeads. It's really not that hard. If you miss a couple dynabeads... I really don't think you will notice them.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
let the air out of your tire, pop bead, remove dynabeads, ballance tire on machine, check ballance on vehicle, add dynabeads. It's really not that hard. If you miss a couple dynabeads... I really don't think you will notice them.
[Sarcasm on=SEREVince]

Apparently Dynabeads only work on perfectly balanced tires and wheels when properly balanced on a lug centric balancer and if the tires are brand new!:D

[/Sarcasm]

I may end up doing that, or I may end up getting some new tires.

I'd like to here from some peeps who are using Dynabeads WITHOUT previously having the tires balanced.

Thanks

Vince

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I worded mine wrong, I had no more wheel weights left when I installed the dynabeads. So as of right now; no weights, 10 oz. per tire (35s trxus M/Ts), 22 psi, smooth as glass up to 70.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts

I was given a small "car vac" (craftsmen I believe) that plugs into your cig lighter. That was meant for cleaning car interiors.

It works perfectly to remove the beads so that you can reuse them.

I had the dyno beads in my first set of 37's, didn't want to purchase a new round of beads so when I had the new tires installed. I had the shop pop the bead (beads stayed in place while tire was on it's side. Then I took the little vacum cleaner (completely clean of trash and other depree) and vacumed up th ebeads and put each tires amount into it's own zip lock bag.

Saved me the 50+ bucks on buying new beads! I forgot to tell the shop my valve cores were special and they did not replace them. so I did have to buy new cores, but it was a lot cheaper than having to get everything as you referred to.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Mossy and Bear,

I appreciate the info!

I'll probably order 2 oz more per tire and experiment with psi in the mean time till they arrive.

If that doesn't work I'll go with Bear's idea as plan B.

Plan C is some new ATs since wheelings few and far between over here and Gas is crazy expensive when I travel outside Italy and Germany.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
[Sarcasm on=SEREVince]

Apparently Dynabeads only work on perfectly balanced tires and wheels when properly balanced on a lug centric balancer and if the tires are brand new!:D

[/Sarcasm]

I may end up doing that, or I may end up getting some new tires.

I'd like to here from some peeps who are using Dynabeads WITHOUT previously having the tires balanced.

Thanks

Vince
I run ~10 oz of dynabeads in my beadlocked 37" MTR's. The beadlocks are weld ons so they are not perfect, and the tires are chunked and worn unevenly. They get beat on regularly, hell the tires are not even centered on the wheels like normal mounting does. These wheels/tries have never been ballanced by a machine. They ride good.
Each tire/wheel weighs 110lbs. and the outside of the wheel weighs much more than the inside with ~10lbs of steel welded and bolted to it.

I know for a fact that I personally have a couple posts saying just what I said.

Enjoy the cheaper ballancing that doesn't need to be reballanced every couple months.

-Chris

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I run ~10 oz of dynabeads in my beadlocked 37" MTR's. The beadlocks are weld ons so they are not perfect, and the tires are chunked and worn unevenly. They get beat on regularly, hell the tires are not even centered on the wheels like normal mounting does. These wheels/tries have never been ballanced by a machine. They ride good.
Each tire/wheel weighs 110lbs. and the outside of the wheel weighs much more than the inside with ~10lbs of steel welded and bolted to it.

I know for a fact that I personally have a couple posts saying just what I said.

Enjoy the cheaper ballancing that doesn't need to be reballanced every couple months.

-Chris
X2....what he said. I have the same system and they work great.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts