TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is the almost finished E-Locker version of hytenors diff skid that I have lusted over for years now. It has been a 6+ month project due to working on it just when I had some dead time at the shop, plus the wifes battle with cancer has really taken all of my time/energy for the last 4 months. Here are a few pics that I snapped with it off the diff I still have 1 more piece that will go across the top of the back section that isnt on in these pics. I will try to get some more as I get this piece on and some with it bolted up to the diff.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was building this for my own truck but with my wheeling at an indefinite standstill due to taking care of my wife I am selling this to another member and will be making another for mine as time allows. As you can see I used hytenors for inspiration and made some changes in how it mounts to the axle and the obvious need for changes due to e-locker coverage. Let me know what you guys think. I will get more pics up as soon as possible and will reply to posts but cut me some slack cause I am not on the board a whole lot these days. If you want an in person look at the finished product the member who will be getting the skid is SADGOAT and I think he is still planning on being at takeover in Aug.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Great work dude. Lots of time and detail went into it. Good luck with the wife and get her back wheeling as soon as you can. Thanks

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
So here is the almost finished E-Locker version of hytenors diff skid that I have lusted over for years now. It has been a 6+ month project due to working on it just when I had some dead time at the shop, plus the wifes battle with cancer has really taken all of my time/energy for the last 4 months. Here are a few pics that I snapped with it off the diff I still have 1 more piece that will go across the top of the back section that isnt on in these pics. I will try to get some more as I get this piece on and some with it bolted up to the diff.
wow, looks great! better than mine.

I never thought of using axle U-bolts like that...great idea.
you might add a 2nd layer of steel around the drain hole...just need a 3" square of plate with a hole, then bent and welded over the outside.
I also like how high you made it in the back.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow, looks great! better than mine.

I never thought of using axle U-bolts like that...great idea.
you might add a 2nd layer of steel around the drain hole...just need a 3" square of plate with a hole, then bent and welded over the outside.
I also like how high you made it in the back.
I had planned on putting another layer around the drain hole but SADGOAT who is buying it from me when its all done said he didnt want me too. I thought the u-bolts might work better than how you had yours chris, plus this allowed me to conform the skid to the shape of the axle better thus losing less ground clearence. The pieces that weld to the u-bolts I bent in my 20 ton shop press to match the shape of the axle, you could also use the right size round tubing. This is all 1/4" plate that I cut with my bandsaw, sure could use your plasma cutter chris.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
I had planned on putting another layer around the drain hole but SADGOAT who is buying it from me when its all done said he didnt want me too. I thought the u-bolts might work better than how you had yours chris, plus this allowed me to conform the skid to the shape of the axle better thus losing less ground clearence. The pieces that weld to the u-bolts I bent in my 20 ton shop press to match the shape of the axle, you could also use the right size round tubing. This is all 1/4" plate that I cut with my bandsaw, sure could use your plasma cutter chris.
another layer can always be added later after he scrapes that drain plug a few times ;)

you could also make those U-bolt brackets out of some square tube with one side sliced off ;) ...or a piece of rectangle tube sliced down the middle. A circle jig/pattern is easy to make for a p-torch to follow...cut out the ( )parts first then slice on a bandsaw.

I'm tried to get at least 4 different fabbers to produce this type of skid but so far no takers. I know there's a market for them, even with a high sticker price.

how did you bend/form the bottom plate sections to the axle like that?

To speed up production a 3-piece construction with bends it what needs to be done. Cut out the pieces with a CNC, bend them with yet another CNC and then weld together. Your U-bolt setup really simplifies the anchor points at the axle tubes. What are you using on the 3rd?

I recently altered mine to a 1/2" U-bolt for the 3rd having to cut out the little 1" pipe sections and replace them with something of a larger ID to accomodate a 3/4" socket. the idea of setting those pipes back a tad to allow some rearward tension on the bolt is great as well...hadn't thought of that either but did it accidently on the first try :p

·
Bear's Chauffeur
2,240 Posts
looks good man. Its come a long way since the cardboard cutouts I saw.
I hope the wife is doing better.
Haven't heard from you in awhile give me a call sometime.
Oh smack Drew for me

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
How come in pictures 3 and 4 it doesn't look symmetrical? I understand that it is for a TRD and it's going to be different per side b/c of the actuator, but the bolt holes around the pinion should be the same relative to each other shouldn't they? I'm sure you had good reason, I just want to know them. Thanks. Looks very nice.
the damn 3rds aren't symmetrical :rolleyes:
other than that, trying to build these things upside down is a major pain. If I were to ever try and make another one I would want a spare axle on the ground that is inverted to work with.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Looks good knoxtaco.

Hytenor has a point about the oil drain plug.

I bet I took an honest 1/16-1/8" of metal off the oil plug on one rocky trail.

Wally

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Looks good knoxtaco.

Hytenor has a point about the oil drain plug.

I bet I took an honest 1/16-1/8" of metal off the oil plug on one rocky trail.

Wally
if you catch those suckers just right on a rock they can actually unscrew or start to pull out...ask Dick :p we had to weld a couple of big washers over his last year on Dusy. Switching to one of Marlin's allen type is a good idea as well...as long as you still protect it from getting boogered up to the point you can't get an allen wrench in the thing :p

·
Registered
269 Posts
Man if that guy bails on buying that from you I would like to get in line. I ve read a lot about the e locker guard hiting the gas tank when flexed upwords have you had that prob?

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Man if that guy bails on buying that from you I would like to get in line. I ve read a lot about the e locker guard hiting the gas tank when flexed upwords have you had that prob?
they are a pain to build so expect to pay close to $500 for a one-off ;)

·
Registered
162 Posts
How come in pictures 3 and 4 it doesn't look symmetrical? I understand that it is for a TRD and it's going to be different per side b/c of the actuator, but the bolt holes around the pinion should be the same relative to each other shouldn't they? I'm sure you had good reason, I just want to know them. Thanks. Looks very nice.
Yeah, I noticed that to. Chris shipped me his original skid, and I am one of the FAB guys who declined the project. I needed the dimensions to design the said CNC parts and have them bent and assembled. I was just puzzled why none of the pieces seem symetrical? I will be looking at differant designs and putting something out soon, well within 4-6 months at least. Any input may help. Great JOB!!

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Yeah, I noticed that to. Chris shipped me his original skid, and I am one of the FAB guys who declined the project. I needed the dimensions to design the said CNC parts and have them bent and assembled. I was just puzzled why none of the pieces seem symetrical? I will be looking at different designs and putting something out soon, well within 4-6 months at least. Any input may help. Great JOB!!
Symetry isn't the issue with the actual plate. The reason both mine and Knox's look the way they do is cuz we cut out each little piece LOL. The issue will be with the pinion mount bracket...that drove me nuts working upside down.

someone here must have enough CAD knowledge to draw up some plans for 3 bent pieces...I still use pencil and paper :p

the more I look at it I don't see why it couldn't be made in one piece with a bunch of bends. Their is a straight (well, it could be :p) line from nose to tail that would work as a baseline. I know 9th Degree (my original design is based on their D-44 skid) did no more than 2pcs with bends but their plate stopped at the bottom of the diff itself using the thick bottom metal of the diff as part of their skid...but, the D44 is quite different ;) Heck, the main portion of the thing could be bent over a big pipe into a ( shape and work fine.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
does this sit tight against the housing? seems like it would take up precious ground clearance.... especially for us tiny tire guys
yep, sucks right up to the diff and axle housin. I lost about 1/4-3/8" of clearance but having the ability to just slide over stuff and not even think about more than makes up for that little clearance loss. I ran this for nearly 4yrs with 33s on all the wild trails out here in Cali ;)

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
I know Jeff at Ballistic just got a new 5 axis CNC press break. Maybe someone should shoot an e-mail over to him and see what he thinks.
we just need someone with a good CAD program (and the skills to use it :p) to help out here. Phil?

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
A CAD program doesn't do any good w/out the dimensions. I've got the program and the skills, but no numbers.
ah, that much I can figure out....let me get out my pencil and graph paper....

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
ah, that much I can figure out....let me get out my pencil and graph paper....
Chris,

Shoot me over some dim's and I can input it on cad and host it as a PDF file for those that don't have cad, and host it as a ACAD file.

-P

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
About this Discussion
107 Replies
33 Participants
hytenor
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing