TTORA Forum banner

61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Well - my truck is just sitting for the next 7 months . . . so I've got time.
I guess I can keep my fingers crossed!

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Well - my truck is just sitting for the next 7 months . . . so I've got time.
I guess I can keep my fingers crossed!
so....get some 1/4" plate and break out the welder :D:saw::welder:

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I will test that 8.4" out if you want. Have you decided to mass produce these yet? Maybe just one more? :D

·
Registered
796 Posts
Finally getting some pics of the finished product up.

Update: the Knoxtaco dif-skid has been wheeled hard for a year + now; flat out badass. I have taken full advantage of this beast EVERY run (prob 10 or so). Only problem is that with total disregard for my dif hitting or dragging the driveshaft has seen some damage :eek:(not due to the skid).

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Update: the Knoxtaco dif-skid has been wheeled hard for a year + now; flat out badass. I have taken full advantage of this beast EVERY run (prob 10 or so). Only problem is that with total disregard for my dif hitting or dragging the driveshaft has seen some damage :eek:(not due to the skid).
:worthless

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
The outrider diff skid looks nice and beefy and I have considered it quite a few times. I like the idea of how it protects the pinion. The price is what eventually turned me off nearly $400 and you end up losing about a 1/2" or more of clearance. So now rocks that did not hit your diff before will scrape on the diff skid and possibly hang you up.
Also, I have the AP weld on skid and would have to cut it off for this one to fit right. looks tough though.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
The outrider diff skid looks nice and beefy and I have considered it quite a few times. I like the idea of how it protects the pinion. The price is what eventually turned me off nearly $400 and you end up losing about a 1/2" or more of clearance. So now rocks that did not hit your diff before will scrape on the diff skid and possibly hang you up.
Also, I have the AP weld on skid and would have to cut it off for this one to fit right. looks tough though.
Uh, wanna show us how that skid protects the pinion when it doesn't even get close to it??:confused:

and yes, that design robs you of 3/4" of clearance because it covers the OE 1/4" tall drain plug ring and than adds another one :jack:

We will eventually have a full pinion protection skid for the early FJCs (8.4 or elocker housing) but the newer ones will be a while.

·
Registered
304 Posts
hytenor Quote:
Originally Posted by E-ROCKER

Uh, wanna show us how that skid protects the pinion when it doesn't even get close to it??

and yes, that design robs you of 3/4" of clearance because it covers the OE 1/4" tall drain plug ring and than adds another one

We will eventually have a full pinion protection skid for the early FJCs (8.4 or elocker housing) but the newer ones will be a while.
O.K. I went back and tried to collect some decent pics. What I found is that Outrider appears to have changed thier origional design. It used to come forward all the way under the pinion flange but now this pic looks like it doesn't. And mysteriously all the pics that people posted of the first ones are gone on thier build up pages. The Bud Built one looks a lot more flush and does cover the pinion flange. I still don't like the idea of losing clearance or having something new to hang up on.

Outrider.....

Bud Built......

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
the BB does't cover the pinion flange either.

not like this:

...which protects the flange and the zerk fitting on the end of the DS...which is what I was referring to in the beginning ;)

The FJCs, Runners and new Tacos do have a gas tank skid clearance issue with this design but we're fixing that ;)

·
Registered
304 Posts
The skid in your pic above looks awesome. I am all for it.:D

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
I'd love to see the new one. Is it the same design, just new metal? Any failures/problems after 5 years?
the old one has been bashed, modded twice (for trackbar fittment), and generally abused...just shows lots of scrapes.

the new one uses one aspect of Knox's skid but otherwise is just a simplified version of my old plate.

61 - 80 of 108 Posts
About this Discussion
107 Replies
33 Participants
hytenor
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing