TTORA Forum banner

81 - 100 of 108 Posts

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
the old one has been bashed, modded twice (for trackbar fittment), and generally abused...just shows lots of scrapes.

the new one uses one aspect of Knox's skid but otherwise is just a simplified version of my old plate.
Did you bring it up any higher in the back than it originally was?

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Did you bring it up any higher in the back than it originally was?
a little but not very much. The higher it goes the more leverage. With 1/4" plate triangulated and with added gussets it ain't going anywhere ;) The only time I ever had an issue with my old one (used to have 3/16" plate on that back section) was when I backed into a rock at a good clip...dented it in maybe 1/4"...so, I replaced the 3/16" with 1/4" and added some little triangle gussets...no more issues.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Im glad I brought it up as high as I did in the back, it has definately helped keep the parking brake cable & brake lines more protected from some rocks that can get flipped up if you have to back down to try another line or get another run at the line you are on. I have no worry about backing up and catching the rear diff on anything anymore its kinda like a bump stop now.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Any update on this project. Very interested:D
The Knoxtaco dif skids (I have one) are 100% badass; there are no clearance issues and super functional. I would highly recommend this design or anything similar. The pinion flange coverage is at least as important as the rear protection IMO.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Any update on this project. Very interested:D
first prototype finally came from the CNC guys...needed a couple tweeks so should have another one in a week or so.

getting there :p

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hytenor,

I've been watching this thread for some time. Glad to read that there is some activity moving forward.

Do PM me when you have an idea as to cost and such. I am interested.

Excellent work guys.

LaytBra's

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Hytenor,

I've been watching this thread for some time. Glad to read that there is some activity moving forward.

Do PM me when you have an idea as to cost and such. I am interested.

Excellent work guys.

LaytBra's
we already have a Socal dist. lined up :D

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
update

well, another fabber bites the dust on this...o well. :(

bamf's plate seems to fit the bill for this type of skid and he's taken orders for over 50...good for him! :D
now we just need to see some writeups from the new owners to see how well they hold up to abuse.

I have found a local CNC cut/bender that can do my plate design in one pass for an awesome price so I may just order some and weld them up myself in my spare time in the off-season...haven't decided as yet. I'm also thinking of putting a DIY kit together.

At least somebody now has one on the market :p

·
Registered
172 Posts

bamf's plate seems to fit the bill for this type of skid and he's taken orders for over 50...good for him! :D
now we just need to see some writeups from the new owners to see how well they hold up to abuse.

I have found a local CNC cut/bender that can do my plate design in one pass for an awesome price so I may just order some and weld them up myself in my spare time in the off-season...haven't decided as yet. I'm also thinking of putting a DIY kit together.

I'm in for the DIY kit

·
Registered
137 Posts

It dose seem to fit the bill I can't wait to see them getting beat to hell. I know I will beat the crap out of the one on my truck :D

I thought about doing a DIY kit but I cut and bend my skids in house and the bending is the time consuming part of my builds. Maybe down the road when i have a CNC press brake in the shop it would be worth it for me to offer a DIY kit.

hytenor your skid is pretty bad ass and if you do get that company to start cutting and bending for you I think you will be getting more orders then you think. No one really offers a skid "Until Now" that fully protects the rear diff for these trucks.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
It dose seem to fit the bill I can't wait to see them getting beat to hell. I know I will beat the crap out of the one on my truck :D

I thought about doing a DIY kit but I cut and bend my skids in house and the bending is the time consuming part of my builds. Maybe down the road when i have a CNC press brake in the shop it would be worth it for me to offer a DIY kit.

hytenor your skid is pretty bad ass and if you do get that company to start cutting and bending for you I think you will be getting more orders then you think. No one really offers a skid "Until Now" that fully protects the rear diff for these trucks.
I hope you make a ton of $ with your stuff, keep it up :D

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
I'm in for the DIY kit
I would think a kit would do fairly well. I've got the design such that the skids will fit all 8" based Toyota diffs...all of them. And, there would only be slight differences to a 'kit' to make this work. I plan on having this local company make me up a few prototypes and I'll go from there...but not until this next spring.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Does anyone have templates? I have access to a CNC might be able to make a DIY kit and sell it for cost.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Does anyone have templates? I have access to a CNC might be able to make a DIY kit and sell it for cost.
no templates, just a pencil drawing for a 1-pc CNC cut/bend main plate. I can get them done pretty cheap locally but as I said...don't have time until spring.
cutting it out isn't the issue...the 9 bends is ;)

·
Registered
673 Posts
When you get that online I would like one please.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, I know this is an ancient thread resurrection, but wondered if I could get some insight on something...

I got this skid off a local guy, who said he got it off a rolled 3rd Gen 4runner in Vegas...

I love the design and extra coverage it offers over other production skids(budbuilt), as does almost anyone else who sees it!

It's quite apparent it's based off the same design as the one in the op, just not as high back or huge side block for the e locker...

So my question is this...

Does anyone know who may have made this?

Was the design plans ever made widely available, considering no one ever brought it to commercial production?

I'd like to help out a few friends with making some and even improve on the one I have, using a bit of the extras I've seen here.... but with this thick of steel, the last thing I want to be doing is cutting and recutting trying to figure out shape sizes if someone has them already listed and can share.

Thanks for any help ahead of time!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Probably a one-off. There have been various designs over the years, but I've never seen this design in production.
Oh, I know it's a one off, that's for sure.

But the design is exactly like the one in the OP for its base design and so I'm hoping someone knows more about it, or has access to the design themselves in order to reproduce it for a couple friends?
@NorcalPR
@knoxtaco
@hytenor

81 - 100 of 108 Posts
About this Discussion
107 Replies
33 Participants
hytenor
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing