TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my last trip out wheeling, I wasn't able to get my e-locker to engage. In 4low, when I depressed the the locker button, the ABS light would come on solid like normal, but the locker light would just flash- it wouldn't come on solid. What are some things I should check first, before I start contemplating taking the truck to the dealer? I like to do all my own work on my truck. I'm hoping the problem is something simple, but knowing my luck it won't be...
I have a 99 Ex-cab 3.4 4wd.
Brock

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
did you try driving in reverse or turning to get it to engage? sometimes they're stubborn

·
Registered
988 Posts
Bnorm said:
On my last trip out wheeling, I wasn't able to get my e-locker to engage. In 4low, when I depressed the the locker button, the ABS light would come on solid like normal, but the locker light would just flash- it wouldn't come on solid. What are some things I should check first, before I start contemplating taking the truck to the dealer? I like to do all my own work on my truck. I'm hoping the problem is something simple, but knowing my luck it won't be...
Brock
I just had the same problem-I removed the locker motor and re-installed it and works like a charm now-I was told that over time, the teeth can get out of alignment. Before that though I would check all the fuses.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Take a hammer and tap the outside case of the locker motor. Make sure not to do this hard but it may help a little??? This was the kind of love i used to give my ford and it ended up working sometimes! Needless to say I have a toyota now.

·
Registered
161 Posts
dragr1 said:
I just had the same problem-I removed the locker motor and re-installed it and works like a charm now-I was told that over time, the teeth can get out of alignment. Before that though I would check all the fuses.
I'll second this. It's probably that fork, or teeth or whatever it is in there. When they get out of alignment the thing gets stubborn or won't engage. The dealer did the work on mine, so I don't know the exact details.

But the result for me is extremely prompt engagement of my locker. The slightest turn after I push the button and I'm locked. No s-turns or any other effort needed.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
YoTRacer158 said:
did you try driving in reverse or turning to get it to engage? sometimes they're stubborn
Yah, I tried turning a little, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dragr1 said:
What did you do when you removed the locker motor?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I will rebuild it for 75.00 and shipping. I am trying to start a lil side project where I rebuild the case and motor. I need a few dead ones for parts before I go full swing. But basically there is a 3 prong limiting switch, motor, dual brush, crappy o-ring askets and dual tension springs to "pull" the motor in the correct direction to lock and un-lock accordingly.

If I get about 3 or 4 cores and get things going I hope to sell them on e-bay rebuilt, case the options out there suck as of now.

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Doc_Sausage said:
I will rebuild it for 75.00 and shipping. I am trying to start a lil side project where I rebuild the case and motor. I need a few dead ones for parts before I go full swing. But basically there is a 3 prong limiting switch, motor, dual brush, crappy o-ring askets and dual tension springs to "pull" the motor in the correct direction to lock and un-lock accordingly.

If I get about 3 or 4 cores and get things going I hope to sell them on e-bay rebuilt, case the options out there suck as of now.
Do you have a diagram or anything? I need to take mine apart... Thanks...

·
Registered
162 Posts
nothing scanned in, take the gear off with a c-clip. make sure that the 3 brass arms are making contact with the silver plate located on the gear bottom. last resort pull the motor. also watch for the springs behind the brushes, they like to fly.

any way, pull the gear, then 2 little bol/screws and the front face will come off. make sure to keep the washers exact, otherwise the gear will be sloppy or too tight and actually bind in the case once re-assembled. or mail it to me for fast service :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
i just pull foward a few feet an my engages, its really stubborn. i can hear it click in then im good to go. give it a shot.
-darren

·
Registered
40 Posts
Bnorm said:
Brock
Mine has always been stubborn. I almost always need to turn the wheel while driving to get it to engage.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I just got my 99 prerunner TRD a few months back. The locker seems to be a bit sluggish on me too. Usually takes about 100ft to enguage turning back and forth a little. Disengauges quicker, but not that quick.

Rebuild diagram anwhere?

·
Registered
162 Posts
With my rebuilt one and the grey-wire mod, i click it at a stop sign, pull forward 2-3 feet slowly and it is fully locked, I am really happy with the resaults.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
11 Participants
Doc_Sausage
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing