TTORA Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently grabbed a set of used, old style SAW 2.0s. They probably need a full rebuild, but for now I just re-pressurized them and replaced the one bottom bearing that was wasted. Full rebuild will be done soon, but I wanted to get a feel for them first. They are replacing a set of OME N91S/882s that have been on my truck for 3 years and 45k. SAWs are set at about the same ride height as the OMEs. First thing I noticed was the feeling of isolation from small and medium sized bumps on the street and the feel of "this thing is not gonna bottom" when hitting dips in the road. I can hear a bit more road noise, but not as much as I expected after looking at the solid heim joint vs big rubber bushing the OME have. Way less dive under braking, brake dive had gotten really bad after I installed Tundra brakes a couple of months ago. The ride is just a little less comfortable on-road, but much more comfortable off-road, the SAWs don't lose control of the wheel travel when hitting a bunch of bumps in a row. Less body roll in corners. Overall, a good improvement in suspension control with just a little loss in on-road manners. I've been really happy with the performance of the OME stuff, and I still think it's a great value and improvement over stock parts, but the SAWs are a good step up. Just like they should be when looking at the pricing, OME front setup is about $350-400 vs $700 for SAWs. Unless you scored the e-bay deal at $350....

Now I'm looking at rear suspension parts to replace the stock spring / AALs / OME N85 combo I've been running. I can totally feel bumps through the rear end that the front is soaking up where before I felt much more balanced. Thinking about Wheelers Alcan springs and possibly some new shocks with a bit lighter valving.

I'm wondering how much better the new 2.5 SAWs/Camburgs/Kings/DRs are over these old 2.0s...

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
I recently grabbed a set of used, old style SAW 2.0s. They probably need a full rebuild, but for now I just re-pressurized them and replaced the one bottom bearing that was wasted. Full rebuild will be done soon, but I wanted to get a feel for them first. They are replacing a set of OME N91S/882s that have been on my truck for 3 years and 45k. SAWs are set at about the same ride height as the OMEs. First thing I noticed was the feeling of isolation from small and medium sized bumps on the street and the feel of "this thing is not gonna bottom" when hitting dips in the road. I can hear a bit more road noise, but not as much as I expected after looking at the solid heim joint vs big rubber bushing the OME have. Way less dive under braking, brake dive had gotten really bad after I installed Tundra brakes a couple of months ago. The ride is just a little less comfortable on-road, but much more comfortable off-road, the SAWs don't lose control of the wheel travel when hitting a bunch of bumps in a row. Less body roll in corners. Overall, a good improvement in suspension control with just a little loss in on-road manners. I've been really happy with the performance of the OME stuff, and I still think it's a great value and improvement over stock parts, but the SAWs are a good step up. Just like they should be when looking at the pricing, OME front setup is about $350-400 vs $700 for SAWs. Unless you scored the e-bay deal at $350....

Now I'm looking at rear suspension parts to replace the stock spring / AALs / OME N85 combo I've been running. I can totally feel bumps through the rear end that the front is soaking up where before I felt much more balanced. Thinking about Wheelers Alcan springs and possibly some new shocks with a bit lighter valving.

I'm wondering how much better the new 2.5 SAWs/Camburgs/Kings/DRs are over these old 2.0s...
yes, the 2.5s are better. donahoe has the valving pretty much tits

·
Registered
141 Posts
I know it's not a replacement for a good spring, but I've been running MX6's on the rear of my taco with 1" blocks, and I really like them. I'm thinking about getting some long Pro Comp AALs for now until I save up some cash for deavers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts