TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all -

My name is Paul. I was introduced to the site by user Rob, NorCalTaco. I'm new to wheeling, but I've got some experience on pretty mild trails, both as a soldier and then as a civilian. My last off-road rig was an M1A2 Abrams MBT, so there weren't many places I couldn't go in that thing.

These days, I run a 2005 Gen 1 Tundra AC with the TRD off-road package. It's been modified with overlanding in mind, and not really crawling. I see some of the tracks and trails you all take and they're a bit outside the realm of what I like to do, but I see tons of opportunities to learn from you guys, so that's why I'm here.

Mods to the truck include:

Addicted Offroad tube bumper
Stubbs Welding HD-SKO sliders
All Pro Off-road bed cage/rooftop tent rack
Bilstein 5100's on all four corners
Camburg Upper Control Arms w/ Uniball joints
OME 886 springs up front
Firestone Ride-Rite Airbags in the rear
Daystar airbag cradles
Smittybilt X20 10,000# winch
Pro Comp 16" steelies with 4" backspacing wrapped in 285/75 Nitto Terra Grapplers
ARB Simpson III rooftop tent
Rhino Rack Sunseeker II awning

Radio stuff:
Yaesu FT-8800/R 2m/70cm ham radio
Comet SBB2NMO dual band 1/4 wave antenna with RG-58 feedline

I'm also a relatively new ham, which is something I didn't think I'd be doing. 2m is a great band for trail comms, and as it turns out, it's just a fun hobby overall.

Anyway, that's enough about me. I'll crosspost my build thread from Expedition Portal over to here, and maybe I can get some constructive criticism on the things that I've done, and maybe you all can give me some more ideas on how to turn money into dirty, delicious forward momentum.

-Paul

Here's a picture of the rig on the Mojave Trail back in March '14. Made a few changes since then as a result of the shortcomings I discovered on that trip.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I'm still learning to navigate the forum. Where do I find future runs and meet & greet info?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Check in "Trail Runs/Events." There is a thread at the top that has a general outline of the runs for the year. As the run gets close, there will be a run specific thread that will have more details. There is suppose to be a meet & greet/work day coming up soon.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome Paul, I'm in Walnut Creep. Like posted above keep an eye on the "NorCal" section and we post runs/events here. There is a good group of Nor Cal guys on here with a wealth of knowledge if you ever need help.
Cool! Thanks for the heads up. I've mostly been browsing on mobile, and it's a little bit tricky navigating that UI. Or maybe it's operator error. Anyway, you're in the Creek, eh? I've been hanging out over at ExPo for the past year or so, and us Bay Area folks seem to be a touch sparse over there. Good to have a solid network of guys around here.

KK6LVR, KK6OVK. LOL
Glad to see you made it Paul!

Sending you a PM now.
Got the PM, thanks. I saw that you followed me on FB, too. This seems like a good community of Toyota owners so far, and I'm only scratching at the surface. Alright, time to go cruise the runs/events forum and then cross post my build thread from ExPo.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya man, it wouldnt let me add you as friend. Everyone here is pretty cool, just keep the Whiskey away from Makers Mike.

Id ditch the mobile surfing, will just confuse you on this site.
Yeah, my Facebook settings are such that I don't allow people with no affiliation to people I already know to send friend requests. I'll shoot one your direction, Rob.

Also, I've posted my build thread in the Expedition Tech section of the forum.

http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2535977

I'm having some weird formatting issues with the images. I think it has something to do with how it was all uploaded to imgur when I originally posted. It should look okay on Tapatalk for those of you using that application to view this site.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,211 Posts
Awesome, welcome bud! My name is Phill, im the pres round here. Looking forward to meeting you

W6ftw

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, Phill! When's the next NorCal meet and greet? I didn't see anything in the runs/events section about one.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,211 Posts
That hasnt been decided yet. I just bought my xmas tree permit, so I'll post details on that soon if anyone wants to join

1 - 14 of 14 Posts