TTORA Forum banner

Easy questions for those who SAS'd with 44044 and "stock" Tacoma lift springs

8K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  yogiaz 
#1 · (Edited)
Easy questions for those who SAS'd with 44044 and "stock" Tacoma lift springs

Just trying to get an idea of measurements for a future possible SAS.

Since 44044s seem to be the most popular for the front, I'd go that route for this series of questions ;) I know a lot have gone with the 63" Chevy in the rear.

Anyways, onto the questions:
1) From the stock front frame horns, how much drop are you running?
2) How long of shackles for the front springs?
3) How much lift in the rear did you need to level the truck? (spring, block, shackles)

Thanks in advance for any replies.

#2 ·
Just trying to get an idea of measurements for a future possible SAS.

Since 44044s seem to be the most popular, I'd go that route ;) I know a lot have gone with the 63" Chevy.

Anyways, onto the questions:
1) From the stock front frame horns, how much drop are you running?
2) How long of shackles for the front springs?
3) How much lift in the rear did you need to level the truck? (spring, block, shackles)

Thanks in advance for any replies.
You've obviously read & searched a bit, and got yourself a wee bit confused in the process.... The Rancho 4404's are lift springs for the front of a Jeep Grand Wagoneer... these are as you have observed, commonly used up front during a SAS. The 63" Chevy springs you referred to are commonly used in the rear for IFS or SAS rigs.

1. 3" drop from frame horn. (I'm using OE Wagoneer 7 leaf front springs)

2. Currently have 5" long (eye to eye) shackle... may go shorter as it's a bit tall at the moment.

3. Rear needed about 5" or so to match the front. I used newer ('05-'07 2WD 63" chevy 2-leaf + overload) springs, added a procomp LONG add-a-leaf, and put the overload back in as a 1" block (will cut shorter later)... these springs are brand new, so will sag after being broken in... 6" shackle currently on the rear.

No miles on this setup, but she sits near level, but HD bumpers + front winch aren't installed.

Keep up the reading and searching!

-Mark

#3 · (Edited)
Actually no confusion on my part other than the amount of lift in the rear that is needed to compensate for a set of 44044s in front... just a badly worded post led you to believe I was confused... and that hopefully got fixed ;)

I understand the 44044 is a 2.5" Jeep Wagoneer(among other) lift spring by Rancho.

I guess the other way to word it would be: how much lift over a stock Tacoma does a 44044 provide? :p

#4 ·
Actually no confusion on my part other than the amount of lift in the rear that is needed to compensate for a set of 44044s in front... just a badly worded post led you to believe I was confused... and that hopefully got fixed ;)

I understand the 44044 is a 2.5" Jeep Wagoneer(among other) lift spring by Rancho.

I guess the other way to word it would be: how much lift over stock does a 44044 provide? :p
How much lift over stock.....? IFS? Stock Waggy's?

The way my truck is sitting in the shop on STOCK Waggy's.. 37's would fit... I've read a few threads (and know the owners) that took the 44044's and swapped some of the leafs out and put other ??? leaf in, to lower them a bit. I've heard that the OE Waggy springs are soft, flex very well, and will last a few seasons before they need replacement - and I'm already prepared for that occasion.

#9 ·
dont want to trash this thread but how does this make me a moron...i am simply stating that this guy is making a big deal out of how much lift hes gonna get out of SAS over a stock ifs truck. i feel he needs to read and learn before asking about "lift". thats all im stating so thanks for the kind remarks

#10 ·
Mr Tacomi, thank you so much for your straight forward answers in trying to help my research.

Wes and tacoma87, If both of you would spend more time just answering the questions than trying to analyze why I'm asking them, your lives would be a whole lot less frustrating and probably a whole lot happier.

Unlike a lot of people who just jump into things based upon "what everyone else does" and then find they aren't happy with the result(either height or ride), I'm trying to gather info based upon what is common so I can form my OWN opinion on what will work for me.

Hence I based my question upon the 44044 which seems to be the most popular leaf spring people use in the front. If I know how much lift a 44044 gives and what configuration people were using to get that lift(ie shackles and amount of drop in the spring hanger), I can adjust the spring hanger and perhaps get a different spring to make my Tacoma work how I like.

But to appease your curiousity, I'm doing research for a SAS with about a 3-4" to clear a set of 33s. If I could get away with 1-2" with 32s, I'd go that route. My Taco isn't getting turned into a hardcore wheeling rig... But I wheel it hard enough that I know IFS isn't giving me the suspension performance I would like.

I don't need another super rockcrawler, I've got an FJ40 project that will take care of that bug.

#14 ·
Thank you Yogi. One more question... was your shackle through the frame or on the bottom of the frame?

tacoma87, thank you for the link. VERY interesting.

As for the spring hanger, I'm in the debate mode... while it would be easier to use one of the "premade" ones, I might be better off served making my own. But to expand upon what research I've done(assuming Taco sas kit is similar to pre taco sas kit):
Marlin's "kit": front spring hanger is ~3" drop, shackle goes through frame
Sky's "kit": front spring hanger is ~2" drop, shackle goes through frame
Bentup "kit": front spring hanger is ~ 3" drop, shackle mounts on supplied crossmember??

#15 ·
I'm also going with 44044s. I'm gonna see what AJ can do about possibly minimizing the amount of drop the hangar provides. Maybe somehow french the frame horns to tuck the hangar up in there? I dunno. I wanna keep my truck as low as possible as well.

~Miguel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.